What is a good Martial Art for a Beginner to Learn?

OP
WhisperingButterfly

WhisperingButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is true in training and fair-rules competition where the mindset is friendly and is unlikely that partners would intentionally seek to hurt the other.. To see the vitriol in the eyes of someone trying intentionally to harm you.. that is concomitant with a suspension of empathy and basic humanity in that person, any call to reason -whether through logic or physical 'neutralisation'- can be counter-productive and prolong the altercation.. Having the intent of restoring balance on the other hand, can occur primarily in a radical yet quick altering of mindset regardless of the level of mastery

Wow! There are some great minds here--in my opinion,of course. I've always liked the Idea of training in Aikido. I like Jujutsu, too. But I really don't watch MMA--I find it distasteful, although I respect and appreciate the fighters. It's the commentators and promotion that bothers me most. I have studied them some though--in slow motion so I don't have to hear them! I would like to train one on with a personal trainer. I've studied some; however, I'm more interested in what I don't know--which is a lot!

OP
WhisperingButterfly

WhisperingButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy reading about Martial Arts--My favorite subject! And this forum is perfect, because of the variety of intelligent minds--quite informative--and they are blended. It is a more rewarding experience than reading a book that focuses on one single subject. I have to be careful though, I may develop a dopamine response which would definitely obstruct my physical training. On the bright side, it might also prevent an injury, as long as I maintain proper ergonomic form while operating this keyboard.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow! There are some great minds here--in my opinion,of course. I've always liked the Idea of training in Aikido. I like Jujutsu, too. But I really don't watch MMA--I find it distasteful, although I respect and appreciate the fighters. It's the commentators and promotion that bothers me most. I have studied them some though--in slow motion so I don't have to hear them! I would like to train one on with a personal trainer. I've studied some; however, I'm more interested in what I don't know--which is a lot!
How do you perceive Aikido and JJ that cause you to like the idea of training these? What are those like to you?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Training with an instructor one on one will certainly improve your chances of being married if that's your goal. Might not be the best way to learn a martial art, though.

OP
WhisperingButterfly

WhisperingButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
How do you perceive Aikido and JJ that cause you to like the idea of training these? What are those like to you?
I like the idea of non-resistance and understanding force without necessarily the psychological attachment to the concept of "power." And of course the restoration and maintaining of balance. This is the impression I get from what little I know of Aikido and Jujutsu. I would rather not study them from a book though, and I agree with what others have posted regarding instructional videos. The worst thing about these videos is that many of them corrupt the perception of the art for which they are trying to communicate. I doubt their motives--especially when they get into the "this is right" and "that is wrong" game. It seems their motives are ego-driven; it is easy to detect with their obsession with "power" and sloppy form (even I can detect that sometimes).

OP
WhisperingButterfly

WhisperingButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
Training with an instructor one on one will certainly improve your chances of being married if that's your goal. Might not be the best way to learn a martial art, though.
That was a bit of a joke on my part, but I agree wholeheartedly!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the idea of non-resistance and understanding force without necessarily the psychological attachment to the concept of "power." And of course the restoration and maintaining of balance. This is the impression I get from what little I know of Aikido and Jujutsu. I would rather not study them from a book though, and I agree with what others have posted regarding instructional videos. The worst thing about these videos is that many of them corrupt the perception of the art for which they are trying to communicate. I doubt their motives--especially when they get into the "this is right" and "that is wrong" game. It seems their motives are ego-driven; it is easy to detect with their obsession with "power" and sloppy form (even I can detect that sometimes).

Do you care if the training is hard or physical?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
a class setting will increase the selection pool. But the instructor would most likely be the alpha at the top of the dominance hiarchy.

Latest Discussions