What forms do you know?

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kata == Japanese btw, not Chinese but I know what you're talking about.

I'm still waiting though on my last question to you about the Song dynasty Praying Mantis you mentioned. How about some info on it?

Thanks for making the inference about the kata.

I saw your question but can't offer you a detailed history of the Mantis I learned as I don't really know. I recently asked my Shifu (Sifu)about it and all he told me was that it was a Shaolin take on Seven Star brought to the U.S. by Grand Master Pai. One of the guys I trained with under him now trains with his teacher (Dennis Hardy) who may know a very detailed history of the style. Personally I'd like to know more about it so the next time I have the opportunity to speak with him I'm going to ask about this.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I look at the principles as the "lessons", with the form as the "lab" where the lessons are practiced and expanded upon.

Also, once you have a solid grounding in the principles of an, it's easier to learn new forms in that art, because you see the principles within the forms again and again.

Just a thought ...

Tamojin

White Belt
Reaction score
Honestly its seems like with the amount of forms some of these guys know I think they thought the question was "How many forms have you heard of! " lol

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I look at the principles as the "lessons", with the form as the "lab" where the lessons are practiced and expanded upon.

Also, once you have a solid grounding in the principles of an, it's easier to learn new forms in that art, because you see the principles within the forms again and again.

Just a thought ...

Reminds me of a quote..."the forms are not the system, the system is in the forms"

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... once you have a solid grounding in the principles of an, it's easier to learn new forms in that art ...

Sorry, that should be "principles of an art".

Or maybe it's a secret style called "an" .... very mysterious ...

Latest Discussions