What forms are in your Style?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I spent a little while studying Bak sil lum and CCK Taiji Praying Mantis... well, a mixture of it and 7*. My sifu (Steven Baugh in Las Vegas, NV) started out with 5 Animals and working some Southern Systems before he became a student of Sifus Ken Hui and Kam Yuen who he learned Bak sil lum and Northern Praying Mantis from, respectively. Because of this, at the earlier stage, you learn a bit of hodge podge before you start training dedicated Bak sil lum. After you've got the basics of bak sil lum down, then you can be invited to the praying mantis class which is much more "hands on" incorporating a variant of push hands, etc. The three levels:

Beginner:
Southern Salute Form
Lien Po
Lohan Chuan
Small Circular Fist (I actually never learned this one)
12 Road Tan Tui

Bak Sil Lum: typed in the order taught
6. Short Strike
7. Plum Flower
8. Shuffle Step
4. Pierce the Heart
5. Martial Intent
1. Open the Gate
9. Chained Strikes (last one that I learned... the last four are taught in any order)
10. Skilled Technique
2. Leading the Way
3. Divine Horse

Northern Praying Mantis: I think there was about 15 forms total that's taught but these are the few that I learned:
1. Piercing Hands: 7*
2. Bung bu: 7* (there is a TCPM version but I'm pretty sure it's a 7* variant I learned)
3. Lower 8 elbows: Taichi Praying Mantis

I would love to continue my studies of either BSL or NPM one day.

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting an oldish thread.
I have heard of a lot of the styles listed by the OP.
I would like to know if anyone has information on the Lee-gar/Lee Ka Kuen system? What forms are there? I heard it has Sup Gee Kuen... and that it used some pressure point fighting and a bit of conditioning work using the phoenix eye fist.
It was mentioned by the OP that this system has been incorporated into Choy Li Fut, Fut-gar and (I think?) maybe Bak Mei.

You see Lee family kung fu can be considered my family style and I'd like to learn more about it. No one left alive in my family knows it. A shame really. A few of them trained in Bak Mei in their younger years in Hong Kong. anything I know came from my now deceased father and my uncle.
I know this is a very old post, but I saw it and had respond. Li Ka kung fu was started by Li Yau San(one of the famous Five Ancestors) in 16th century, a disciple of Abbot Chi Shin of Shaolin temple. Was passed down through family, eventually wad inherited by Li Kum San early 20th century. Ok Kun San spent 30yrs traveling and learning other systems to develop/improve the Li Ka (Southern Shaolin system) into the best he could. Other arts he studied; tong long pai, kuan lan pai, pa kua, chin na, kam na, Choy ka, ect. He eventually moved to Lima, Peru. One of his main students was Sui Man Kwen (Alfredo Sui"Fred"). Alfredo moved to Charlotte NC and taught there. Some of his students wrre; Joe Martin, Buddy Springs, ect. It spread from there to other places, Roanoke VA under David Rose, etc. I do not know of any "pure"Li Ka schools in existence. There may be some in USA or Peru. Li family style had been taught in various times in various stages of development.As such it's skills, techniques, and concepts widely vary. Such as the Li Ka used in the development of Choy Li Fut would be much different than the Li La developed under Grandmaster Li Kum San. Hope this may help.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was curious to see what forms students are learning in their respective styles? Coudl you give some examples of different forms in your curriculums?
Meaning , examples of , beginner, intermediate, advanced , and soem black belt forms. I am curious to see what other Northern Style students are learning :)

In My style ( Northern Longfist + 5 Animals) some beginner forms are Lien Huan , Shi Ba Lohan Shou

Intermediate forms, Lien Bu Chuan , gung Li Chuan , San Tien Chuan , Jung Lung Chuan

Advanced ( Black Belt and up ) Po Chi Chuan ( Fist of 8 Methods) , Feng Mu Chuan ( Phoenix Eye Fist)
Black belt? In CMA?

Hmmm...ok

Edit - just realized this is a necro. Disregard.

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting an oldish thread.
I have heard of a lot of the styles listed by the OP.
I would like to know if anyone has information on the Lee-gar/Lee Ka Kuen system? What forms are there? I heard it has Sup Gee Kuen... and that it used some pressure point fighting and a bit of conditioning work using the phoenix eye fist.
It was mentioned by the OP that this system has been incorporated into Choy Li Fut, Fut-gar and (I think?) maybe Bak Mei.

You see Lee family kung fu can be considered my family style and I'd like to learn more about it. No one left alive in my family knows it. A shame really. A few of them trained in Bak Mei in their younger years in Hong Kong. anything I know came from my now deceased father and my uncle.
Also some forms are; San Dim Chuan, Sui Chuan Kuen, Choy Ka La Kuen, Wat Su Chuan, weapons forms, Staff, butterfly swords, spears, broad sword.

Latest Discussions