What does your name mean?

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread about how we came up with our user names (or real names, if you'd like). Some of our user names are kind of obvious because they're our real names, but others...not so much. For example, I've been asked what "Xequat" means, so I wondered how other people came up with their names, too. Mine just came up one day many years ago when a friend and I were creating a user name for something we were never going to use again, so one of us just randomly hit the keyboard a few times and came up with XeQUae, which, except for the caps, kind of looks like a word, with the q and u next to each other. So he kept that one and I changed the last letter to a T, for Tony. It's nice to have a name that nobody else uses, too, because I don't get a lot of "that name is taken, please try another name" messages when I set up new accounts. I'm sure everything that has a userID already has a "Tony."

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My username has two parts - "she" and "sulsa."

"Sulsa" means technician and indicates a group of people who study special maneuvers, h2h and other things. "She" ... well, I hope that part's a little more obvious.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TerryL965Terry forit is my first name L for my middle is Lee and 965 was the ages of my son's when i started now they are 11-8-7 but no nead to change just because there age did.

Terry Lee Stoker

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xequat said:
I'm sure everything that has a userID already has a "Tony."
you never know. (then again, I wanted sam but I have to wait til like next may til the closed account gets deleted and I can snag the name.)

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
lulflo, well it has evolved from ufo. I played quite a bit of video games when I was young and my initials are LFO, but if you put the L real close the the F, you get a U. So that began ufo as an ID (much cooler than lfo on the high scores screen). But many others, for their own reasons have used UFO as well, so since my name is Larry, and when you use an l it kind of looks like a separation lUlFlO, I decided to use that, I could have added another L at the end to close out the lUlFlOl, but didn't for whatever reason, guess it is because my last name doesn't start with an L. So there you have the long winded evolution of lulflo.

Have a nice day :O)

Farang - Larry

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't really remember my logic behind someguy but I like it so I started using it here then I became someguy or iamsomeguy other places online. My xanga for example is Iamsomeguy. Venture there only if you want to go insane.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine I chose since I am on a never ending search for knowledge. I want to learn all that I can and I am willing to search everywhere and learn from anybody.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nalia is the name of a heroine in one of the books my daughter is writing. She wants to be a writer when she graduates from University.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Edge is the name of one of my favorite movies, with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin.

the 883 is just a number that pulled up after trying to create the name on AOl.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Parson is someone who watches or cares for the Parsonage.
Parsons over time was used for the family

Richard - Lionhearted - giving - etcetera

Besides it is the name on my birth certificate.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I went to Ohio University (OU)...
my nickname IRL is Moose (moose)...

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Was Raisin, but changed to my real name Raewyn - which is a welsh name but have no idea what it means. :ultracool

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
CC are the initials of my first and last name (both as a single and as a married). CC is the nickname I usually went by (since as a child) in the deaf community (its easier for them to spell that than to spell my first name). Twenty years ago, a close friend said, "CC is so ordinary. For an extra-ordinary friend like you, you need an extra-ordinary nickname. I'll call you Ceicei." That nickname is used for me by a few close friends and by those within the martial arts community around me.

- Ceicei

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I picked Ping cause that is the name Mulan (Disney movie) picked when she snuck in and joined the army and pretended to be a guy. I love the movie and have often felt like a women in a man's world just cause of my personal interests and career choices, so seemed to fit. 8/98 is when I earned my 1st Dan EPAK Black Belt.

Shorin Ryuu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...Shorin Ryuu is just a slightly more accurate (if not rare) romanization of the more common "Shorin Ryu". If I really wanted to be accurate, it would be "Shourin Ryuu", but that's pushing it...

Ryuu means style, but has the same pronunciation as the word for dragon. And, uh, dragons are supposed to be cool...and lucky (not that I'm either of those...).

I used to have an avatar where I had "Shorin Ryuu" in Japanese going vertical and horizontal, both starting at the same character. The horizontal one was "Shorin Ryuu" the style (i.e. style of Shorin) and the vertical one was "Shorin Ryuu" meaning "Dragon of Shorin".

In fact, it looked a little something like this:

&#23567;&#26519;&#27969;
&#26519;
&#40845;

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My handle is reflective of the local topography. Which, by the way, is rather unhilly and lacks mountains.

I grew up a farmboy, and have always felt a very close connection to the land here. Beyond that, it was a bit of a play on Highlander.

Latest Discussions