What do you call an art that integrates striking and grappling?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's always some truth to comedy.
Comedy and parody aren't synonyms. While you could say that there is always something truth in parody, it is, by definition a form of mockery. While it often is, it doesn't even have time funny to be parody. Parody is more about shining a spotlight on things we may do that are a bit... Questionable. It's laughing at something, not with it.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
How effective is chin na?

Otherwise I don’t know of any art that relates to the OP question. You have striking arts, and grappling arts.

Muay Thai offers some standing grappling and Judo offers mostly standing grappling with high emphasis on takedowns. BJJ mostly ground although some can be used standing. Wrestling is both standing and ground.
How effective it is , is going to depend on a lot of things. A big piece is how you define it and how you use it. Catching a punch in mid air is dream world stuff but leaning on a guy pushed against the octagon fence is CHIN-NA heaven to me.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Comedy and parody aren't synonyms. While you could say that there is always something truth in parody, it is, by definition a form of mockery. While it often is, it doesn't even have time funny to be parody. Parody is more about shining a spotlight on things we may do that are a bit... Questionable. It's laughing at something, not with it.

Parody is a type of comedy. Therefore that which is true of comedy is true of parody.

I think Master Ken sprinkles in enough actual martial arts to make his parody all the more funny. For example, his two-hand grab escape.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I, too, own a dictionary. Several actually. But thanks for pointing that out, I’m sure your heart was in the right place.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I, too, own a dictionary. Several actually. But thanks for pointing that out, I’m sure your heart was in the right place.
I'm sure you do, and they are easily found on the internet, if you do not. I'm not sure how you guys can disagree with fact. What I'm saying isn't controversial. It's not like I'm about to go on national TV and lie to the American people or anything.

Parody is inherently mean spirited, and the subjects of parody are often justifiably insulted. That's kind of the point of parody. As I said before, it's not parody if it's not making fun of something recognizable. So, if your training resembles a parody, that... well, it's hilarious. And a red flag.

Parody is a type of comedy. Therefore that which is true of comedy is true of parody.
No. That logical leap just made my left eye twitch. It's a kind of association fallacy. Memes such as what Buka posted aren't the same as what Master Ken does. Different breeds of cat.
I think Master Ken sprinkles in enough actual martial arts to make his parody all the more funny. For example, his two-hand grab escape.
This is true. Which is why I think it's kind of hilarious that you volunteered that you recognized your own training in the parody. An eerie similarity, I think is what you said. Come on, man.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure you do, and they are easily found on the internet, if you do not. I'm not sure how you guys can disagree with fact. What I'm saying isn't controversial. It's not like I'm about to go on national TV and lie to the American people or anything.

Parody is inherently mean spirited, and the subjects of parody are often justifiably insulted. That's kind of the point of parody. As I said before, it's not parody if it's not making fun of something recognizable. So, if your training resembles a parody, that... well, it's hilarious. And a red flag.

No. That logical leap just made my left eye twitch. It's a kind of association fallacy. Memes such as what Buka posted aren't the same as what Master Ken does. Different breeds of cat. This is true. Which is why I think it's kind of hilarious that you volunteered that you recognized your own training in the parody. An eerie similarity, I think is what you said. Come on, man.

With parody being inherently mean spirited and insulting, was your use of the word parody (the red flag statement) meant in a mean spirited and insulting way?

That ain’t right. And it certainly isn’t like you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But, wait, there’s more. Google the greatest parodies of all time....or anything like that.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With parody being inherently mean spirited and insulting, was your use of the word parody (the red flag statement) meant in a mean spirited and insulting way?

Wait, parody is inherently mean-spirited and insulting? This is the first time I've EVER heard that. Every parody I've ever seen has loved the source material (including Master Ken, who the actor is a 2nd Dan in Kenpo).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait, parody is inherently mean-spirited and insulting? This is the first time I've EVER heard that. Every parody I've ever seen has loved the source material (including Master Ken, who the actor is a 2nd Dan in Kenpo).

^^^^Yeah, and one of his most hilarious parodies was is "Kenpo is BS" roast. I agree that parody doesn't have to be "mean spirited". It can be light-hearted and silly too ..like friendly teasing! :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not surprised some stuff is recognised, and it's really not a "red flag" - unless the application is described as exactly the same.

Instead of "some of our stuff looks like what master Ken does" - just flip it around to "master Ken parodies some of the things we do."

For a parody to work, you have to be able to recognise what is being parodied...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically that's an accurate description, except for the last part. There are parodies that definitely show a love for the subject.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically that's an accurate description, except for the last part. There are parodies that definitely show a love for the subject.
I’d say the best parodies are ones where the parodist has a deep appreciation and understanding of the original subject being poked fun of.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not surprised some stuff is recognised, and it's really not a "red flag" - unless the application is described as exactly the same.

Instead of "some of our stuff looks like what master Ken does" - just flip it around to "master Ken parodies some of the things we do."

For a parody to work, you have to be able to recognise what is being parodied...

The only difference between this particular drill in our school and what Master Ken does is the opening "move" I think of as a lift with the hips and he calls it a strike.

In this case, it seemed to me that this was a technique he's used in Kenpo, and he found a funny way of demonstrating it. (Unlike his Hurticane and Kill Face). It's funny because it's a practical use of a joke technique.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Totally. I didn't parody anything, buka. I observed that Master Ken videos are parody and then made a joke. I should have posted a picture of the Snl fake ad on Chanel Red Flag perfume, as that is what I had in mind.

But full disclosure, i sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between mean and funny. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think you guys are attaching too much emotion (like and hate) to it. Parody absolutely has to come from a familiarity. But its shining a spotlight on dysfunction. It's in the same family as teasing, which can be lighthearted or vicious but is always poking fun of something and not (regardless of what is said) laughing with someone . in fact, the differemce between one and the other is often tje relationship between the parodier and the parodied.

I'm very surprised this has struck such a nerve. I misjudged the seriousness of this thread. I was reading every post as tongue in cheek.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you guys are attaching too much emotion (like and hate) to it. Parody absolutely has to come from a familiarity. But its shining a spotlight on dysfunction. It's in the same family as teasing, which can be lighthearted or vicious but is always poking fun of something and not (regardless of what is said) laughing with someone . in fact, the differemce between one and the other is often tje relationship between the parodier and the parodied.

I'm very surprised this has struck such a nerve. I misjudged the seriousness of this thread. I was reading every post as tongue in cheek.
It's one of the annoying things about this format-it's tough to tell when someone is joking, and even tougher to tell if someones going along with a joke, or actually upset by the joke. For what it's worth, I just assumed you were having fun with skribs, in a lighthearted way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Totally. I didn't parody anything, buka. I observed that Master Ken videos are parody and then made a joke. I should have posted a picture of the Snl fake ad on Chanel Red Flag perfume, as that is what I had in mind.

But full disclosure, i sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between mean and funny. :)

Oh, heck, I know you're just a big old Teddy Bear. In fact, what I desperately tried to find for the last hour, and post, was a pic I posted a long time ago of Master Ken grappling with a big stuffed animal. I looked everywhere, googled it, searched my files. Couldn't find the damn thing.

And while I was doing that, at that very time, you mentioned Master Ken. Just goes to show the old adage is correct, All great minds run in the same channel.

Or maybe it's fools think alike. I dunno, one of those two. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sometimes parody is poking fun at something because it bugs people - because it appears dysfunctional, rather than because it's actually dysfunctional. And sometimes, it's simply making fun of something that would be dysfunctional, except for the situation that made it useful/necessary/prudent. As you said, it's much the same as teasing sometimes, and we sometimes tease people for something they do that is unusual and noticeable, even if it's not actually dysfunctional. For instance, we might tease a friend about always dressing nicer than everyone else in the group, without actually thinking there's anything wrong with it.

Latest Discussions