what do i do

EWBell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The only exception are the dvds that are available to members.

Even those have some intentional "errors" on them. It kind of marks the people who learn from the books and videos, as opposed to the ones who learn from an actual teacher.

As far as the OP goes, if judo is what is available to you locally then I say go for it. You could do far worse than learning judo.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I have to say that doesn't surprise me :)
But from what I understood (iirc), those differences are not really 'errors' per se, but more a way to mark those who didn't have the in person training, just like you said.

EWBell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I have to say that doesn't surprise me :)
But from what I understood (iirc), those differences are not really 'errors' per se, but more a way to mark those who didn't have the in person training, just like you said.

That's exactly right, Bruno.

ScholarsInk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i want to learn really bad but there arent any dojos within 50 miles of where i live. Unless someone lives in Galveston Texas i dont know what to do other than get videos. if you guys think that that is the only option then can you tell me which videos or books are even worth buying. any help will be appreciated

Even going to a dojo one time a month is better than the video approach. So do that.

I know - I tried the home study approach myself, when I wanted to study Bujinkan and I lived three hours away by plane from the nearest dojo. Someone here mentioned the Hayes Home Study Course - don't fall for it. The videos do not work unless you're already an experienced student using them as a supplement.

OP
S

Staggerlee8962

White Belt
Reaction score
16 put age wrong on accident cause i was rushing, my parents are just very protective and stuff and dont think i am quite ready for a license

OP
S

Staggerlee8962

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the input, i think i will try to convince my parents to sign me up for judo, thank you

OP
S

Staggerlee8962

White Belt
Reaction score
my dad thinks its impractical, and that i would never need it, i told him that its a olympic sport, i have friends that go there and it would get me in shape and build my endurance for hawii this summer and he just wont listen, my mom doesnt seem to care as much tho i just cant figure out wat to do

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Such a pity, I really don't know what to recommend, it's certainly not for me to suggest that you should go against your father's wishes or, for that matter, try to rope your mother in to have a word on your behalf. I suppose that you're to some extent bound by their wishes for at least another couple of years.

It may be worth getting involved in some other activity which will lay a solid physical base for later training -gymnastics spring to mind, but it's probably quite a daunting prospect for the average 16 year old male to join a gymnastics class. Feldenkrais/Pilate's/yoga will certainly be of later use in training as well as everyday life and the basics of these things could perhaps be worked on via books/videos although it'll take personal commitment to stick to any self designed programme.

I still think that judo is a fine art and hope that you can persuade your father of it's benefits.

On a final note, it's nice to see a teenager who actually cares about what his parents think rather than simply throwing a temper tantrum like I see so often.

Use this as an early demonstration as to the door opening potential of a driving licence -and get one as soon as you can.

Good Luck, and please remember that good things really do come to those that wait!

William

EWBell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my dad thinks its impractical, and that i would never need it, i told him that its a olympic sport, i have friends that go there and it would get me in shape and build my endurance for hawii this summer and he just wont listen, my mom doesnt seem to care as much tho i just cant figure out wat to do

Does your high school have wrestling? That might be something to think about, because knowing how father's are he's probably thinking about the cost. (Trust me, I've got two kids) :)

OP
S

Staggerlee8962

White Belt
Reaction score
it most likely has wrestling and i will see and i will try to do some of that yoga, thanks again

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, good luck.
Sometimes it is annoying that your parents do not see things the same way that you do. Wrestling is also a good thing to do and will give you lots of experience, as well as build up endurance.

But even if you can't start wrestling or something else, there are still plenty of things you can do in preparation for the day when you turn 18 and can start making some decisions for yourself. Build up endurance (not muscle mass) and flexibility. Try to run obstacle courses and things like that. If you are in prime condition when you start MA, and you are flexible in your legs etc, then you will be able to pick up the physical side of MA much quicker than if you had to start building up all that at that point in time.

Latest Discussions