What compelled you to take this Art

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, for me, I had taken Shotokan Karate, Tracy Kenpo, Shootfighting, and a little TKD. I never felt satisfied though. I mean, I never felt like they were really for me you know. I hate too much formality for one and I love practicality. Well, anyway, I was doing some random internet surfing one day and I found out a little about this art. At the time, I was living in Hawaii so I didn't have anyone who thought this around that I knew of so I bought some Stephen K. Hayes Videos and some Richard Van Donk ones too and I started watching and rolling around in my living room. (had to replace a couple lamps. lol) Then, I found Martial Talk!!! YAY!!! :partyon:

Anyway, I was moving to Tennessee soon and I found out that there was a guy close to where I was living that taught budo taijutsu (ninjutsu). So as soon as I had the chance I went to the class. I had never been to a MA class like this one. It was outdoors for one. (and usually is) And since then I have never learned so much in each class I attend. There was not much formality and there was a TON of practicality. I find myself counting the days till the next class because I will not only have fun, but I KNOW I will learn many things usefull about defence AND life in the process. I feel very connected in this art and I know I am in it for life. I have a deep respect for all the ones who made this art possible to learn in America. I also just wanted to say thanks real quick to all the helpfull people here at MT that have guided me along the way.

Be blessed everyone in all you do,
Jason

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not fond of the expression "taking" what I practice. It hints at an underlying assumption that it can all be taken for granted, which is obviously not the case.

However, it was an ad with this image that originally caught my attention (the autograph nonwithstanding).

hatsumi2.jpg

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because ninjas rock my socks.

Actually... I had just dropped my hapkido training because it "wasn't working for me" and I found out about a Hayes dojo nearby. I went and checked it out for a couple weeks, but didnt like the commercial aspects of it, especially the requirement of that dojo to pay a year in advance for training... there was no way I could do that, at 65 a month at that point in my life.

Then a co-worker of mine told me she knew a guy who was teaching "that karate stuff" and introduced us... he was a Bujinkan Shidoshi-ho and he invited me to come train, and that was that.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had tried a few other arts as well, didn't always have much faith in the instructor or the art, as soon as i found the class i go to now though, i knew that this was a lot better than anything i'd tried before. I like the way we train in all aspects of martial arts, not just sticking to kicking and punching but also multiple opponents, weapons, grappling, energy etc etc

Plus I know my instructor can really do the business, so have a lot of faith in him as a teacher. As I feel like i'm starting to get the hang of it a little i enjoy class a lot more now as well. Of course there are people in my class that are better, but then they have been doing it for longer, the more I train i realise i'm definitely better than when i started, so i must be improving. Took me a while to stop comparing myself to others though and look at how i was doing myself.
Plus ninjas are just pretty cool aren't they?!

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
I grew up in the 80's. Bruce Lee was the first Martial Artist that caught my attention. However, I always prefered watching Samurai & Ninja flix over Kung Fu movies.The amazing skills and mystery of the Ninja captured my imagination. The honor and nobility of the Samurai also made an impact. I would purchase any Black Belt, Inside Kung Fu, or Ninja magazine that had any stories on Ninja's. It took me over 16 years to finally find a legitimate Ninjutsu teacher in my area who wasn't trying to pass off Jujutsu or Aikido as Ninjutsu. I am truly fortunate to be able to train in this art because although all martial arts are good, for me, this is the most well rounded art out there.

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Economics! It's the only art that you can train for free! Ha Ha!;)

I think it was the girls! Ninja Groopies!

All jokes aside, it just feels real!

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A friend bugged me for a few years to give it a try. I scoffed each time and said, "There's no such thing as ninja!"

Then, one day I gave it a try. Hooked for life immediately.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a teen in the 80s and completely fascinated with Ninjas. I had convinced my High School Librarian to purchase Stephen Hayes' Ninja Volumes for the School, so I could read them. I don't remember exactly what specifically caught my attention in the beginning, it was probably a movie like Enter the Ninja or something. That led to Ninja magazines and then to Stephen Hayes and the Shadows of Iga club. Yes when I 16 I was a card carrying member. There were no teachers in my area at that time since I lived in a very rural farming community in Central Florida. Well, life went on and eventually by my 20s, ninjutsu had slipped from short term memory.

Then about 3 years ago (35yo and a family), I was extremely overweight (still overweight) and in terrible shape, sitting in an ATA TKD dojo watching my son train. This inspired me to want to train with him. But I felt that if I took up TKD I was not doing what I truely wanted to do. I started searching around and was completely elated that I found a Bujinkan training group in a nearby town. I immediately began going and training. Fortunately, I have been blessed with some excellent instrutors and I feel I have progressed very well over the past 3 years. I am now teaching my son, he no longer takes ATA TKD.

I train in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu because it feels real and I connect with it on many levels. I tell people it is good for my spirit. I haven't had training in any other MA, so I started as an empty cup. It has changed my life completely. I have lost close to 100#s and in pretty good shape now and just like my Budo, my physical fitness is on-going training and a life path.

Reactions: MJS
E

Elizium

What compelled me to take up this art?

The voices. The ones at night that whisper "kill the Lemeurs", and "No cheesecake for you fat boy".

That is my half bull answer. :D

Latest Discussions