What are your thoughts on Kimbo Slice

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
AceHBK, all of his fights with willing participants in the backyard were only allowed to fight according to his rules. If anything did not go his way, his boys would step in and stop the fight. I am not sayong that they stopped it because he was getting beat, they stopped it if he was not destroying the other guy.

I have thoroughly checked him out.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big man, with some KO power. I've seen a number of his youtube backyard fights, and I have to question his opponents, especially seeing that he lost against someone who, IMO, isn't that well known...well, not that well known to me anyway. :)

IMHO, I think that he has the potential to get real good, if he continues to work hard, and keeps training with Bas. But if he were to step into the ring with someone on the level as Wand....forget it. It'd be nighty nighty for Kimbo.

Reaction score
I don't watch promotions other than UFC and then only when my DVD store gets them so I'm not the biggest MMA groupie. However even I've heard of Kimbo's rise and fall (through forums and magazines). My thought on it is he was a marketable commodity and considering his age, the promoters had to make use of him as quickly as possible. Now while I disagree with his quick rise, it is understandable considering these factors. Not like it's the first time and I doubt it will be the last.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Again, I say he hasn't done anything illegal. He went from backyard fighting against opponents who wanted to fight to being on TV getting paid hundreds of thousands. No more being a bouncer for chump change and fighting in backyards to earn money. I just don't see how doing that now makes a person such a "bad guy". He could have been killing and robbing people but he isn't.
It is no secret that a lot of UFC fighters use to be bouncers and fought in alleys for money. Why is it that Kimbo is seen as the "bad" guy while those other guys aren't.

Ok then I do have to ask what is your definition of a thug. Because we obviously have 2 different definitions. I don't call a guy who fights for a living a thug.
Dude. I think you are arguing with another guy. I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say being a bouncer is bad or makes someone a bad guy. Many of the guys on this board are or were bouncers at some point.

I said that there's a good case to be made that he's bad for the sport. He is largely unskilled. Many people, including me, would like to see the technical sides of the sport gain emphasis and would like to see the fans educate themselves more about the subleties of good technique. I would like to see the sport move away from the WWE style marketing and theatrics currently gaining favor. Slice and guys like him do just the opposite. They attract the uneducated fan and they undermine efforts to legitimize the sport. He was a curiosity and nothing more.

I will say this again, because I must not be clear: I don't have anything against Slice and think he made the most of his 15 minutes of fame. I would've done the same thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You should hit ESPN.com's MMA page sometime and read some of the interviews on there.

A writer for ESPN.com did a piece of racism in MMA. In his sit down with Rashad Evans, Evans himself says that fans called it a "ghetto brawl" and had other racist things to say about it.

Rashad also mentions when right after he KO'd Chuck, the whole arena went silent and he got the loudest round of boo's and N*gger this and N*gger that while in the cage and leaving with the belt. Damn shame Rashad doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson along with other interiewed in it mention the stuff they go through.

If ESPN wasn't blocked at my job due to March Madness I would cut and past the link of the article.
Okay. So, let me get this straight. Kimbo Slice is good for MMA because racists say he's not? That was what I was chuckling about. I hadn't heard that stuff before, but it's irrelevant. We can agree, I think, that racists suck.