What are your main principles in martial art depending on ?

Sensei_trigondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hello friends,

i have some main principles of chinese martial arts combined with others.
May i ask about your main principles you practice in your art depending on ?
This post is dedicatd to practitioners who has made a different kind of styles in their life and most times one martial art style principle will be mainly performed with in.

Kindly Regards

a friend

bushido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Harmonious, circular, flowing motion. Our style is water based. We make use of the brachistochrone curve. Redirection of force. Live hand. One body.

OP
Sensei_trigondo

Sensei_trigondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hello,
sorry may i ask kindly for the mentioned issue ?
I am right here in the chinese art category, because mine are main in that principle.
I asked this question in the posting to hear some opinions first.
Thank you

OP
Sensei_trigondo

Sensei_trigondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Harmonious, circular, flowing motion. Our style is water based. We make use of the brachistochrone curve. Redirection of force. Live hand. One body.
hello bushido,
sorry, i mean more the experience based on martial art stations in the life from well known different styles and how and why a main principle of one is more important of practised in the actual style that
a practitionr has done over the years. Not only described techniques.
May i ask for that.
Kindly Regards
a friend

bushido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a 4th gen HapKiDo practitioner of 35 years. Golden gloves boxer at aged 18. Black belt Wado-Ryu Karateka. 4 yrs International Judo.
I have taught HKD for 25 years.
Bounced & trained security staff all my life for large night clubs & special events.
Taught self-defense to multiple LEO agencies.
I have made use of my styles principles all my life. Pain compliance is a big part of what I do as we are often under scrutiny, and now-a-days, cameras are every where. Redirection of force is paramount for us in a public setting. It is vital that we can control an attack without injury to ourselves, the staff, or customers without exceeding equal force that defines self-defense from a lawful point of view.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
hello bushido,
sorry, i mean more the experience based on martial art stations in the life from well known different styles and how and why a main principle of one is more important of practised in the actual style that
a practitionr has done over the years. Not only described techniques.
May i ask for that.
Kindly Regards
a friend

I'm sorry, and I am not trying to be a problem here, I am truly trying to understand what you are after, but based in that, I honestly have no idea what you are asking for.

Unless you are asking for experience in martial arts, specifically Chinese Martial Arts

OP
Sensei_trigondo

Sensei_trigondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I understood the mentioned issue I would gladly respond
thank you friend,
i give the example.
we assume there is a sportman who has begun with judo as teenager and then, let us say
he has done for years teakwondo, then for some years grappling.
After years of experience and fight (with breaks of training - life is life) ,
he decided for hapkido for example and stayed there because he can combine
those experiences he has made in that style.
( ground fighting, teakwondo kicks and punches , kata , etc)
such a man would answer my post here as the main principle for him are the techniques
of "Teakwondo inside the hapkido system" because his main actions are kicks and punches and the
katas , TENDING to be more important in his personal technique.

ok in this example i give hapkido which is korean style.
i'm in this forum category because my TENDING technique is chinese style and then it fits.

Kindly Regards
friend

P.S. everyone has some personal likes inside a system , sometimes from a different one

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before we start...what might your main principles be? It might give folks a bit of guidance as to what you are actually looking for
Go check his other post ... as we say in the South ... that boy ain't right ...

He's looking for some validation of something he's made up by comparison and semblance.

bushido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"I'm sorry, and I am not trying to be a problem here, I am truly trying to understand what you are after, but based in that, I honestly have no idea what you are asking for.

Unless you are asking for experience in martial arts, specifically Chinese Martial Arts"

I know, right, lol... I just hit everything. Didn't take it as a purely Chinese style perspective though, so I will bow out of this conversation, as I have no qualifications to speak on these types of arts... Sorry

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
thank you friend,
i give the example.
we assume there is a sportman who has begun with judo as teenager and then, let us say
he has done for years teakwondo, then for some years grappling.
After years of experience and fight (with breaks of training - life is life) ,
he decided for hapkido for example and stayed there because he can combine
those experiences he has made in that style.
( ground fighting, teakwondo kicks and punches , kata , etc)
such a man would answer my post here as the main principle for him are the techniques
of "Teakwondo inside the hapkido system" because his main actions are kicks and punches and the
katas , TENDING to be more important in his personal technique.

ok in this example i give hapkido which is korean style.
i'm in this forum category because my TENDING technique is chinese style and then it fits.

Kindly Regards
friend

P.S. everyone has some personal likes inside a system , sometimes from a different one

Martial arts since 1972
Japanese Jiu Jitsu
Taekwondo
CMA
Taijiquan, multiple family styles
Xingyiquan
Baguazhang, parts of different systems
Shaolin Kung Fu
Sanda
Wing Chun
Yiquan/Dachengquan

Dash of JKD
There is even a dash of Kempo around the Jiu Jitsu/Taekwondo days

I may have missed something..... I'm old and it's been a long time

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
"I'm sorry, and I am not trying to be a problem here, I am truly trying to understand what you are after, but based in that, I honestly have no idea what you are asking for.

Unless you are asking for experience in martial arts, specifically Chinese Martial Arts"

I know, right, lol... I just hit everything. Didn't take it as a purely Chinese style perspective though, so I will bow out of this conversation, as I have no qualifications to speak on these types of arts... Sorry

Why I did the same

OP
Sensei_trigondo

Sensei_trigondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts since 1972
Japanese Jiu Jitsu
Taekwondo
CMA
Taijiquan, multiple family styles
Xingyiquan
Baguazhang, parts of different systems
Shaolin Kung Fu
Sanda
Wing Chun
Yiquan/Dachengquan

Dash of JKD
There is even a dash of Kempo around the Jiu Jitsu/Taekwondo days

I may have missed something..... I'm old and it's been a long time
Respect for that professional way sir,
may i ask the style you are actual performing or have performed for the chosen one after that
tremendous life experience ?
a friend

OP
Sensei_trigondo

Sensei_trigondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hello, thank you.
i started with traditional boxing at the age of 9. made it for 2 years in a club here.
hard training with rope skipping and sequence training. it was fun at that age.
also sparring in the ring. it was a little , but good quality club with a small hall.
i got many times something on the mussle in that sport.
that was my first station in martial art.

yeah, after a short break i decided "to do something" a become a club member of the first dojo
here in JUDO. Learning the main techniques. Also a small but good quality budo club.
teenager judo for, i don't know anymore 2 years.
what i never forget are the techniques and some names , seonage - osotogari - de ashibari etc.
those special word of japanese someone never forget.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hello, thank you.
i started with traditional boxing at the age of 9. made it for 2 years in a club here.
hard training with rope skipping and sequence training. it was fun at that age.
also sparring in the ring. it was a little , but good quality club with a small hall.
i got many times something on the mussle in that sport.
that was my first station in martial art.

yeah, after a short break i decided "to do something" a become a club member of the first dojo
here in JUDO. Learning the main techniques. Also a small but good quality budo club.
teenager judo for, i don't know anymore 2 years.
what i never forget are the techniques and some names , seonage - osotogari - de ashibari etc.
those special word of japanese someone never forget.
After training as a teenager, did you train in anything else since, or is that boxing and judo your primary foundation?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
hello,
sorry may i ask kindly for the mentioned issue ?
I am right here in the chinese art category, because mine are main in that principle.
I asked this question in the posting to hear some opinions first.
Thank you
There are no "main principles of martial arts" that aren't equally present in martial arts of other countries. So name what principles you use and then lose the cultural baggage.

OP
Sensei_trigondo

Sensei_trigondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After training as a teenager, did you train in anything else since, or is that boxing and judo your primary foundation?
yeah , Xue Sheng described here all his station in a table for. (thanks again for that information)
For myself i will do me the work to introduce myself station by station and WHY i have made the
changes. Could be of interest. All of that in a relaxed manner , we talk about "YEARS" that have gone.

Yeah, when i was in that dojo for judo i saw from time to time the "Hapkido Guys" that make punches
and kicks and joint locks etc. they also do weapon defence , sticks - tonfa - plasticknife etc.
So during the judo training i make the decision also to make Hapkido Korean Karate.
This dojo at that time ( 1988 ) - has no Karate or Teakwondo thus at that time i have not seen theese.
ok , i started in Hapkido for some years. Making the blue belt.
it was a good time with many sparring and fighting. Can't remember exact how long. 4 years perhaps.
that is not all of course. i have more stations to present.
type it here step by step. easy way. not allinone. it must be a little fun to see the INTENTION to change to a new style.

Kindly Regards
a friend

bushido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are no "main principles of martial arts" that aren't equally present in martial arts of other countries. So name what principles you use and then lose the cultural baggage.
I think I know what you are trying to say with that blindside, but, if I am correct, I'm not sure I would agree... I agree, there are "no main principles of martial arts", but I don't agree that all principles are "equally present in martial arts of other countries"
For instance, Kung Fu has some low stances with the front leg stretched out well in front of the body... "lowered Step" Pubu (I am searching these up, so I apologize for any inaccuracies). No style I have trained has this or any thing comparable.
Again, "Xiebu Holiday Counter", nothing I could show similar to this. And these are just in stances.
Sticky hands is not across all counties styles of MA. Hidden strike techniques. HKD has kicks that I have only seen in Chinese styles, and I have seen some chinese arts kick in a manner I've not seen anywhere else, such as the shaolin kick where they jump up, land in a lying (prone) position kicking a low target as they land.
Capoeira has kicks that are certainly not in arts of different origins also.
I may not have understood what you were saying, so I do apologize if I have interpreted that incorrectly...

Latest Discussions