What are you Martial Art resolutions and or aims for 2019

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Ken! Yeah like Gerry linked to (bit of a long read the thread hehe), fracture (potential that is..) and partially torn ligament from a bad ankle roll in a tournament almost 4 months ago now, but have the okay to do physio now (after much waiting)...

Ouch, I feel for you mate... Two years ago I broke my tibia, fibula and ankle... Was out of training for about 7 months, was on sick leave from work for about 5 months (due to pain)... Not sure what was worse to go thru, the break or the physio, haha :D

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ouch, I feel for you mate... Two years ago I broke my tibia, fibula and ankle... Was out of training for about 7 months, was on sick leave from work for about 5 months (due to pain)... Not sure what was worse to go thru, the break or the physio, haha :D

Oh wow that would have been rough... yeah I've partly enjoyed a break but it's mostly been pretty rough.. has been too long now so I'm glad things are moving...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How'd it go with the school?
Neither the owner (retired instructor) nor the chief instructor was in. The instructor teaching class offered to pass along my information and reason for visiting to the owner (who is currently out of the country). So, a bit of a wait on that one.

There's another school in the area with entire days open on the schedule (interestingly, in the same Okinawan style), and they'll be my next attempt. I'm also going to reach out to a community college to see about starting a club there - probably regardless of what happens with the school.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go from 3rd Dan, No Gup to 3rd Dan, 2nd Gup in Taekwondo.
Get my Red Belt in Hapkido.
Not let the school burn down when I'm in charge for a few weeks.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not so much "chasing rank", but it's the further training, building on the concepts of the previous levels - contraction/expansion, compression/decompression, the further development of the art to make it your own, etc... The implied training. If I just "chasing rank", I could go and join one of the associations that hand out belts as long as you attend their classes or buy one off the internet... But that's just me ;)

Rank can be important, depending on what your goals are.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not so much "chasing rank", but it's the further training, building on the concepts of the previous levels - contraction/expansion, compression/decompression, the further development of the art to make it your own, etc... The implied training. If I just "chasing rank", I could go and join one of the associations that hand out belts as long as you attend their classes or buy one off the internet... But that's just me ;)

You've got a point there, if you're purely just "chasing rank" then you should be satisfied with being handed a rank at a McDojo belt factory or for that matter, buying whatever belt color you want and being of a self proclaimed rank. A better way for me to put it would be that I chase the standards you need to earn rank. In a martial arts school I might chase the standards that I would need to advance in rank, I chase the knowledge, skill, techniques, and ability I need to develop and that are crucial for promotion, the end result that I get promoted as a result of fulfilling such standards.

But as I said in an earlier post, I don't care much for advancement beyond 1st Dan. At that point I just like to keep training and keep getting better but promotion is not such a big deal to me, to each their own.

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good thread, I would think when people write their goals down, they feel more obligated to fulfill them.

I would like to get side splits on both sides this year, and middle split would be a nice bonus.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to train consistenly in Muay Thai this year then move back to Judo/Wrestling. BJJ is awesome, but I've only really enjoyed the basic self defense Gracie 101 BJJ classes. I'm finding BJJ is an acquired taste for me.

Last edited:

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mine are as follows
1. Continue to stick to my training / exercising
2. Slowly obtain my belts and maybe get to blue or brown. (Currently almost a green)
3. Become more confidant in my sparring and not become super defensive and afraid to throw punches as soon as I get hurt. (Long story short, sparring MMA style, got punched really hard in the nose. Wasn't expecting that since we were suppose to be doing light contact.)

I'm looking forward to what 2019 brings as far as my MA journey. :)

Latest Discussions