What are the major causes of fights? Are they preventable?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Do most fights start out as a verbal confrontation? and if so could we have learn how to talk our way out? Why is this not taught to us?

Judo Fu, Tongue Fu and other books/videos like this not use in most martial art classes?

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually these things are taught to us at a very early age. Things like Manners, Social Skills, ettitque and other things we learn as children. Problem is as we get older we tend to put ourselves in places and / or encounter ppl who dont have the same beliefs. Rarely do you get into fights with ppl within your circle of friends. Why isnt it taught anymore???? It is, I tell my students all the time simply walk away, Talk your way out of a fight, stay calm. I would rather walk away even if I believed I could win, walking away leaves two ppl without bruises.

So to answer your question it is taught perhaps not practiced or thought of as much as it should be. How many 80 year olds do you see fight???? Its because they have learned nothing is gained from fighting and they are masters of verbalization. At least I know my grand parents were,

Thanks

San

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Do most fights start out as a verbal confrontation? and if so could we have learn how to talk our way out? Why is this not taught to us?

Judo Fu, Tongue Fu and other books/videos like this not use in most martial art classes?
This thread is nearly identical to the previous thread you started but what the hey I'll bite again :) From my experience most fights start off as verbal as a result of some challenge or perceived challenge to someone elses value system, beliefs and/or ego. It then escalates from there. There are several ways to talk out of this in some cases but that usually depends on if the other guy is really trying to fight or if he's just "posturing". Why is this not taught to YOU? I don't know because in alot of places including my training areas it is taught. It really depends on the instructor and his values/beliefs so you have to inquire there first. As for why those specific books aren't used. Most competent instructors should have real word experience to relate with regards to this topic without needing a book (but it could help). It all depends on who you're trained by, what their life experiences involving confrontations were and what their belief system is (i.e. de-escalate the situation or just kick the other guys butt whenever possible because you believe you can)

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you.....This method of role playing/woofing is not practice in our system, we do discuss it time to time but not a part of the training course.

Do you think this topic (Judo fu) should be taught?

Also did you get a chance to read these books? Tongue Fu and Judo fu? Great information here!!! ......Aloha

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

I am going to have to agree with San, if at all possible walk away, talk your way out of a fight. The only time (saying he/ she has not thrown a punch or shoved you) I would say that you shouldn't walk away and that you should act is when they start showing preassault ques, in other words making gestures that tell you that they are ready to attack, ie clinching the fists, looking through you, turn there head etc... hope that helped. By the way I believe that everyone should practice preassault ques in their dojo so that there students should know what to watch for:asian:

O

OC Kid

Other than self defense situations.
They start b/c of pride. The that person cant do that to me. Sometimes its frustration do to problems at work with the wife, girl friend ect. Other times its all emotion, not thiking before you or they act such as a road rage situation.
We are all or should be taught how to deal with those things at a early age.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that I heard somewhere that most of the time when someone is in a fight (martial artist, self taught street punk, ect.) is most often because of some form of verbal confrontation. If I understand what the book said correctly, that means things like "hay I -blank- your mother last night", "I’m going to kick your

-blank-", and (apparently the most common) "gimme all your money". I’m not sure I would add that last one, but I guess they were adding wielding a weapon. But what ever. And I apologize for the naughty language.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Respect and kindness go a long way. Its easy to talk your way out of most situations as long as you show much respect to the person and give in little bit to what they are wanting out of the confrontation.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think i remember coming across this link somewhere else on the forum. you may find it an appropriate read for this topic...enjoy :)

http://uechi-ryu.com/oldsite/street_101.htm

In preparing this post, I have attempted to put into writing some of the information that I have gleaned over the years specific to self protection and the "way of the street" In doing so , I had the opportunity to integrate a number of ideas and concepts from others in the field. To say that all of the information in this post was totally mine, would only ignore those people who have made this work possible.

I believe that there is no such thing as the "ultimate" fighting form. Every combative system has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. I believe the secret is to recognize and acknowledge those weaknesses and then go elsewhere to strengthen them. In doing so, there are a number of people who I must thank for the content of this post. Some of the below noted instructors/coaches/teachers I know personally and have trained with, others I only known through their own published works. It is because of these people that I have been able to strengthen my weaknesses and make this post possible:

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, about 90% of the fights that I have seen happen, happen because one or both of the people involved are drunk. Give some people a few beers and I swear their IQ drops in half.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beer muscles. Yep. That's right. When you drink, your muscles get very, very big. It's true! Really! :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions