What and who is a Warrior to you?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I am just curious based on something I read elsewhere. What is your definition of a Warrior? Understand that other people may not share your viewpoint and that good natured debate or discussion is wanted on this subject?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
A warrior is anyone from a Special Forces Soldier to a Mother defending her children who fights instead of bleats.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A warrior to me weather man woman or child is one that will always do the right thing and protect those that need it, A warrior is someone that has a understanding of how important ones dignity and respect that is good for the better sake of man.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me a warrior is anybody who stands up for what they believe in, and is willing to put themselves in harms way if need be, for another person because they feel it is the right and moral thing to do. Doesn't matter if it is the popular or the minority belief.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many military people who are martial artists often get upset with anyone who is not in the military claiming to be a warrior. What does everyone think on that?

Also continue on with other people's ideas on what a warrior is.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many military people who are martial artists often get upset with anyone who is not in the military claiming to be a warrior. What does everyone think on that?

People can believe anything they want, I guess. I think that position is conclusively defeated by the words of, and intent behind, the Second Amendment to the US Constitution.

Ultimately, we all are defined by our actions.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score

This been said to me before. I know this is a sore subject for many Vets, especially those who have become jaded by military life and have a hard time adjusting to the civilian lifestyle. I usually just concede the arguement to them, because I will not be able to persuade them otherwise. Though, some have changed their opinion, after they spent time training with me.

I honor and respect our Vets, they hold a special place in my heart. I was the first in my family of many generations not to enlist in the armed forces when I was old enough. I wanted to, but I let my father talk me out of it. There are still times within the last 14 years, that I regret this decision...so maybe I am a reluctant warrior (if this is not a contradiction in terms, I have never heard one.)

To me a warrior is one that acts with valor in the face of destruction without thought of their own survival. The firemen and port authority police scaling the heights of the World Trade Center as it burned, military personnel engaging in battles when outnumbered, a mother putting herself between her child and an assailant, to me these are the definition of a warrior. IMO, one does not need to be a member of the armed services to be a warrior.

The difference between most martial artists and professional military personnel is that we (MA's) are trained in self defense. We drill on "what do I do when they do this", we learn to be aware of our surroundings and how not to beome a victim. Trained military personel, while also trained in self-defense, also learn to eliminate their opponent (enemy). They are then charged with this psychological burden long after the wars are over. While most of us dream of vanquishing our foes with the technical precision worthy of a Jet Li movie, most of our Vets are haunted by their nightmares of actual warfare.

Take the time to thank a Vet everyday, don't wait for Veteran's Day to show them our gratitude.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The men and women in the late 1700's who, on an act of treason, stood up for themselves against all odds and almost certain death. They did not give and it led to us being able to have this discussion.

Many others have done similar things that would class them as a warrior, military or not. I thought I would throw this in.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Some of those guys in the military are real warriors. Others in my opinion are not. They have a job. They file paperwork. They lift boxes or fix engines. Having a uniform only does not make a warrior in my opinion. The same goes for police officer who works the nice suburb and gives out speeding tickets and after a few years does not even go out shooting to stay in the game as some say.

** Please I have respect for those who serve in any manner in the Military. The same is true for the police an fire and other first responders.

Being in the martial arts also does not make one a warrior.

Now is one more likely to find a warrior in or having been in the military? Yes.

My world does not have Black and White only. It has a lot of shades of Grey and also some color in it. ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A warrior - a person that stands behind their actions, what they say and believe.
:knight:
I'd only add one thing...

Voluntary submission to discipline. A warrior by choice (and often temperment) submits him or herself to the discipline needed to achieve their goals, while maintaining their integrity.

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
A warrior is someone who fights.

For me, that implies a physical fight. Whilst someone else e.g. in hospital recovering from whatever could be labelled as "a fighter", I would not consider them "a warrior". I feel terms such as "warrior" have been overused to the point of cliche and I tend to cringe a little when I hear them uttered, no matter what scenario. As such, if I look at the word warrior without a context, I think of historical times not modern times.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Logan on the definition of Fighter and the overuse of the word Warrior. It is over romantizised and I don`t think even the military uses it anymore, prefering the term Men and Women of War.

Warriors? You are welcome to them

Last edited by a moderator:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay I am just curious based on something I read elsewhere. What is your definition of a Warrior? Understand that other people may not share your viewpoint and that good natured debate or discussion is wanted on this subject?
Warrior: Overly romanticised and popularly claimed figure. Most ascribe mythoogical powers to this figure. For example: "Warriors are always bastions of strength and vitrue. They never gve up, they're always there. Fighting for freedom over land and air."

Really, a warrior's just someone who fights. Hopefully they're fighting for something worthwhile, but that's more of an issue for the guys ordering the warrior about moreso than it is for the warrior.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose that I have always defined a warrior in a very anthropological fashion. For instance, Rome had soldiers and the Celts had warriors. In this case a warrior is a fighting man who does not adhere to a regimented fighting system. What this normally suggests is that a warrior is often more individually skilled than a soldier but the soldier is more capable of working with others to achieve a goal. There are exceptions. The Spartans can easily be described as both warriors and soldiers

Of course, if you look at it from a purely etymological viewpoint a warrior is simply a person engaged or experienced in warfare.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree that the word "Warrior" has been overused so many times in history and even today that it's meaning has been lost or mis-labled.

A warrior in my view is someone who did not adhere to the suscribed practice of warfare, their alliegence to anyone ruler/warlord/emporer was nominal at best. They fought for what they thought was right with loyalty and integrity and justice now if that placed them at that particular moment on one side or another, fine, but fine if it didn't. They held a code all their own as to what was just and right.

I don't personally considered the Samuri has warriors due to the fact that they chose sides for money, land or power where as the warrior will not. That's just my view on it though.

Darn good discussion folks.

navyvetcv60

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some of those guys in the military are real warriors. Others in my opinion are not. They have a job. They file paperwork. They lift boxes or fix engines. Having a uniform only does not make a warrior in my opinion.
** Please I have respect for those who serve in any manner in the Military.

I some what agree, but a Military warrior cannot be an effective warrior without logistical support

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a number of interesting threads when you do a search for "definition of warrior" here. These few here provide a a good sample..

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24479

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44933

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12959

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25246

Im with the "A warrior is someone who fights and risks his life for something he/she believes in" group. A soldier who volunteered to fight [vs college money], a cop who took the job to "protect and serve" [vs a good retirement] all qualify. Within any group of "action jobs" there can be warriors and there can be "foot soldiers". This day and age I think its about professionalism within the field.

I also agree that "warrior" is a term bandied about all to freely with athletes, the sick, martial artists and so on. If you are not out there risking your life in a cause you dont meet MY definition of the term.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of those guys in the military are real warriors. Others in my opinion are not. They have a job. They file paperwork. They lift boxes or fix engines. Having a uniform only does not make a warrior in my opinion.
** Please I have respect for those who serve in any manner in the Military.

I some what agree, but a Military warrior cannot be an effective warrior without logistical support

This viewpoint has been proven correct on numerous occasions. In addition one study many years ago found a number of frontline soldiers never fired their rifles in combat. But there are many examples of rear area troops who, upon being exposed to sudden danger, reacted bravely and effectively.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, I almost cringe everytime I'm watching some sport whether it's football, MMA or what have you and the announcer goes on about "what a warrior" he is. Does he have a lot of heart? Sure, I'm not saying that he doesn't. Does it take some amount of courage to step into the ring? Sure, I'm not saying that he doesn't. BUT, when you step into a sporting event you KNOW there are rules there to protect you and a referee to keep you safe.

I think that a true warrior is someone who follows their ideals and backs them when needed with actions no matter what the cost to themself to protect those ideals.