What a day!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Guys, since it was the 4th of July weekend, I took a few days off working out.

Instead I went to the gun range. The outdoor one. Did sighting in fire with my AR Bushie fake M4 (finalizing a 200 yard zero), and then snap fired in the berm ranges. Then to top if off, with my Glock 26, I ran through 150 rounds, all from the IWB carry holster I use with my Glock 27.

It was a hot Texas afternoon, but well worth the trip.

Now the point. Those here that have a AR, I really suggest you make sure where it shoots! Not only at your point blank range (that's the max distance your rifle will shoot dead on with no hold over) and any intermediate ranges.

You see, an AR's sights are not close to the bore, and you will find at 10 yards it shoot low, 100 yards rather high, and you must shoot at differnt ranges after sighting in to make sure where it hits.

And if you have a scope, or EOT, or Aimpoint, plus a BUIS, I really suggest you do some serious range time to not only get both sets of sights up and on, but to find out where it shoots at any range you might have to use the weapon.

Deaf

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Owned one Andy. Springfield Armory M1A. Used in in CMP matches. But the AR was so much easier to feed and doing 66 rounds prone, well the AR is so much better on the shoulder to!

I've also owned the FAL. But those buggers are heavy especially of you carry more than 40 rounds. Same goes for the M1A.

That is why I went to the AR platform. Very accurate and plenty of ammo. Sure it ain't no 7.62x51, but I ain't no sniper nor faceing a horde of enemy at 800 yards.

Oh I do have a .308. Ruger. It's my deer rifle. One of those compact ones with a 16.5 inch barrel. Dandy little squirt. Don't even need a sling with it.

Deaf

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guys, since it was the 4th of July weekend, I took a few days off working out.

Instead I went to the gun range. The outdoor one. Did sighting in fire with my AR Bushie fake M4 (finalizing a 200 yard zero), and then snap fired in the berm ranges. Then to top if off, with my Glock 26, I ran through 150 rounds, all from the IWB carry holster I use with my Glock 27.

It was a hot Texas afternoon, but well worth the trip.

Now the point. Those here that have a AR, I really suggest you make sure where it shoots! Not only at your point blank range (that's the max distance your rifle will shoot dead on with no hold over) and any intermediate ranges.

You see, an AR's sights are not close to the bore, and you will find at 10 yards it shoot low, 100 yards rather high, and you must shoot at differnt ranges after sighting in to make sure where it hits.

And if you have a scope, or EOT, or Aimpoint, plus a BUIS, I really suggest you do some serious range time to not only get both sets of sights up and on, but to find out where it shoots at any range you might have to use the weapon.

Deaf

I found the same thing - my Dad just bought an AR with an EOT, and strongly encouraged me to "get familiar" with it. (By "Strongly Encouraged" I mean, he let me loose on his box of ammo!) I didn't really think the sights were that far from the barrel, until we started sighting it in. There really is a lot to take into account.

The hardest part for me was the transition to the pistol-grip on a rifle. I grew up shooting old-fashioned hunting rifles. I had to practice a lot just using the trigger more like a pistol, than a rifle.

Latest Discussions