Western Washington (State) Wing Chun/Tsun

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok folks, I would really enjoy some leads on anyone who knows or is interested in Wing Chun.

I've been searching and searching for trainging/sparring partners... Honestly I don't know where else to look.

I've checked on facebook, craigslist, meet-up.com and a list of other generic sites that would have a martial arts section.

I'm even willing to teach someone for free. I really need a training partner. No amount of apparatus or theoretical training will suffice. I'm at the end of my rope... Someone out there has to have an idea, (I don't need a solution, just an option to explore)... I refuse to give up in finding someone with the passion for this art!

Anyways, hope everyone else's training is going awesome...

All the Best ya'll,

Jeff

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok folks, I would really enjoy some leads on anyone who knows or is interested in Wing Chun.

I've been searching and searching for trainging/sparring partners... Honestly I don't know where else to look.

I've checked on facebook, craigslist, meet-up.com and a list of other generic sites that would have a martial arts section.

I'm even willing to teach someone for free. I really need a training partner. No amount of apparatus or theoretical training will suffice. I'm at the end of my rope... Someone out there has to have an idea, (I don't need a solution, just an option to explore)... I refuse to give up in finding someone with the passion for this art!

Anyways, hope everyone else's training is going awesome...

All the Best ya'll,

Jeff

If you're certified to teach, might as well start a kids class in a rec center. Some of the parents will be interested eventually, and it helps get your name around better. It's not as great as you might like, but you'll at least make a small amount of money for the time spent.

Other options are (if you are qualified) offer conflict de-escalation/resolution classes, or women's self defense to businesses for free, then follow up with a deeply discounted offer to train their employees.

You only get people through word of mouth, and consistent online presence. As you've already been working the craigs list, etc, those are two best ways i know to start generating some.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are a number of WC instructors in the Seattle area, so people around here are probably likely to go to an established school if it is available. That being said, starting up a group informally with no charge should eventually get at least a small group going, or as Eric mentioned you could start a class at any number of community centers, YMCAs, etc. with minimal costs.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just saw that you're in McCleary. I would think you would have good luck putting something together in Olympia.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jeff, I hear ya. Ever since my training partner moved out of state I've been hard pressed to find a training partner in WC/WT. It's especially tough since I want to work within the general parameters of the "WT" tradition. Get a web page, start a class and eventually you can train up a few partners ... or what LT used to call, "Live Dummies". At least, that's what I'm trying to do. I also know an EBMAS guy I sometimes look up, but he lives 30 miles away and works nights. Not convenient to say the least. Still, I'll cross bridges with anybody who will train with me. Got to.

OP
jeff_hasbrouck

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't teach kids under any circumstance. The WT I teach kids aren't ready for anyhow. I don't want to start a class. I'm not taking a permanent residence up here.

I am qualified to teach, but I have no earthly interested in starting a class. When I said "teach someone" I literally meant teach someONE. Teaching requires time and patience. While I have both, I don't have enough patience to teach a bunch of people how to not smack me in the face lol.

Really the only time I toss hands with somone is with my dad; He is a corrections officer at a local youth prison. It made me sorta want to market it to go seek out an opprotunity with law enforcement, that however always ends up being more trouble than its worth. I've taught a few soldiers from Fort Sam (san antonio) and introduced the concepts of WT to the Marine combative instructors of Fort Sam. They always want the McDonalds solution (quick and easy). Wing Tsun isn't quick and easy. Nobody wants to take the time to learn the right way. But thanks for the input; if you find anybody my way that would be awesome if you would let them know.

Just to be clear, I want a training partner, and I understand that WT isn't big around here, so I don't mind investing some time in helping a person (or two) get decent at WT. But I don't want to run a full time gig, I'm too busy for that.

OP
jeff_hasbrouck

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just saw that you're in McCleary. I would think you would have good luck putting something together in Olympia.

Lol sage, you would think right!? I was going to go up to the martial arts (I think its called superior MA) in oly today and ask around. I remember back in the day they used to say they knew WC. I rolled with one of the instructors and it was very clear they weren't proficient in the most basic of WT techniques. But I figured at least I could find a few leads by visiting them. Last time I was shooting the **** with em they seemed like a very nice group of people and I figure if anything they could at least point me in the right direction.

I saw that Oly used to have a couple of WC places around and I figure they must have just burned out. I just can't imagine SOMEONE out there not still wanting to learn some Wing Tsun. Again thanks for all ya'lls input. It's just so frustrating being isolated from my own Wing Tsun family.

OP
jeff_hasbrouck

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright, update time:

I recieved an email today from a gentleman who said there was/is a guy who does WC by the name of "Richard Hernandez". All the fella left me was a name, no number, email, address, or anything. I emailed a guy's facebook who shared the name, but I'm not sure that was the same guy.

If anyone has any leads let me know.

I suppose I could start a Facebook page and see if I get any likes.

I really don't want to charge if I teach in Grays Harbor. This county is so damn poor, I honestly don't think it would be beneficial. Maybe if I charged something rediculously low.

I just want a partner lol. If anyone wants to come to my side of the state I'll let you crash on my couch lol.

I'll figure something out, and I don't know where that fella saw that I was looking around, but if you were a random guy on here, thank you so much for the lead. And thanks again to all of you on MT for being supportive and helping out with the leads. They are proving to be invaluable, I just need to find out how to use them to my advantage :)

All the best,

Jeff

Latest Discussions