Went to the dark side. bjj

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So... My Okinawan karate dojo closed for covid a while ago. I found myself going a little crazy because there was no classes. I missed my peoples. (Sad cryings sounds)

Given that there are not a lot of dojo's teaching what I really wanted to learn in the area, I found myself looking at two options wkf tkd, or a BJJ school.

Fully understanding the political clusterfraq of KMAs.... That was a non starter leaving the BJJ as my only recourse.

The BJJ school is a school that competes, and is very non political... I gave it a try.

Oof... My ribs are killing me right now, but I feel great... At least until the endorphins were off.
I don't think my ribs were meant to flex like that.
Welp, time to take some aleve... Naproxin.

White belt number #5 for me.
I think I might be done with karate, but I will keep Sanchin and Naifanchin.

But I was promised that the dark side had cookies.... Its a lie! Run! Its too late for me, save yourself!

BJJ is amazing!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just finished my first week of BJJ. I will say that if you have a chance to try it later on, I wouldn't completely dismiss Taekwondo. The politics don't really affect you until you start getting into higher degrees of black belt. As a colored belt, or even a 1st or 2nd Dan, you're mostly insulated from that.

I, too, am very sore from my first week of BJJ. Especially yesterday, which nobody else made it to class, so I got a private lesson.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So... My Okinawan karate dojo closed for covid a while ago. I found myself going a little crazy because there was no classes. I missed my peoples. (Sad cryings sounds)

Given that there are not a lot of dojo's teaching what I really wanted to learn in the area, I found myself looking at two options wkf tkd, or a BJJ school.

Fully understanding the political clusterfraq of KMAs.... That was a non starter leaving the BJJ as my only recourse.

The BJJ school is a school that competes, and is very non political... I gave it a try.

Oof... My ribs are killing me right now, but I feel great... At least until the endorphins were off.
I don't think my ribs were meant to flex like that.
Welp, time to take some aleve... Naproxin.

White belt number #5 for me.
I think I might be done with karate, but I will keep Sanchin and Naifanchin.

But I was promised that the dark side had cookies.... Its a lie! Run! Its too late for me, save yourself!

BJJ is amazing!
Hey! Nice to read you again, bro.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just finished my first week of BJJ. I will say that if you have a chance to try it later on, I wouldn't completely dismiss Taekwondo. The politics don't really affect you until you start getting into higher degrees of black belt. As a colored belt, or even a 1st or 2nd Dan, you're mostly insulated from that.

I, too, am very sore from my first week of BJJ. Especially yesterday, which nobody else made it to class, so I got a private lesson.
Yeah... But no. I have enough kma in TSD for a lifetime, and there is only one kma left that I would want to train... GongKwon Yusul.

I know enough about tkd, to see what lies in wait, down the road. Sorry, I won't join. Not my Monkees, not my circus. (My TSD Master is also a 4th Dan in TKD.)

Frankly I don't need more poomse, teul, hyeong (hyung) when I have 16 TSD, and nearly 30 Okinawan forms to deal with.... Forms have their place, but a man only has so many hours a day/week to train.

Being a modern art without disputed ancient history is refreshing. Its formal, traditional and pretty eclectic.

The BJJ school that I am at now doesn't really do bowing except at the end of class, and instead of lining up by rank... They got a round table, everyone's equal here thing going on.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

What is politics have to do with BJJ? I am confused.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Precisely! That is exactly the very point. There isn't much, like there is in KMA.... Or any other "2000 year old" art, for the matter.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Precisely! That is exactly the very point. There isn't much, like there is in KMA.... Or any other "2000 year old" art, for the matter.
Even those shouldn't be political!!!

I am too old and with back problem, I envy you for being able to do it. If your former training is striking art, it's PERFECT to get into a grappling art and BJJ is known to be very effective. Look at Royce Gracie destroyed all the striking MA 30years ago in UFC using BJJ where there were very few rules.

I personally trained in TKD for 3 years, that's when I injured my back because of all the high kicks. Those kicks are NOT good for your back in the long run. If I were to do it again even before knowing how dominant is BJJ, I would look for Muy Thai instead. They don't need to raise the knee so high and pivot so hard that put so much stress on the back. Sure nobody requires you to kick high in TKD school......BUT TKD glorify high kick so much that you kind being pressured to kick high. It is really bad for the back. It's peer pressure.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even those shouldn't be political!!!

I am too old and with back problem, I envy you for being able to do it. If your former training is striking art, it's PERFECT to get into a grappling art and BJJ is known to be very effective. Look at Royce Gracie destroyed all the striking MA 30years ago in UFC using BJJ where there were very few rules.

I personally trained in TKD for 3 years, that's when I injured my back because of all the high kicks. Those kicks are NOT good for your back in the long run. If I were to do it again even before knowing how dominant is BJJ, I would look for Muy Thai instead. They don't need to raise the knee so high and pivot so hard that put so much stress on the back. Sure nobody requires you to kick high in TKD school......BUT TKD glorify high kick so much that you kind being pressured to kick high. It is really bad for the back. It's peer pressure.
Yes, but life rarely goes according to what should be. It is what it is.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taekwondo.

When you're a white belt, or a colored belt, or a low-level black belt in Taekwondo, you pretty much just do what your Master says and don't have to worry about the rest of the organization. However, politics can change what Masters are supposed to do, how tournaments are handled, etc.

It's like when you're a low-level employee, corporate politics don't really affect you. For the most part, it doesn't matter what power trips senior staff is on. It will affect you if your boss is on a power trip, but if you have a good boss, it won't. (And then, that's not politics). However, your boss, or their boss, or somewhere up the chain, it's going to start to have an impact.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Taekwondo.

When you're a white belt, or a colored belt, or a low-level black belt in Taekwondo, you pretty much just do what your Master says and don't have to worry about the rest of the organization. However, politics can change what Masters are supposed to do, how tournaments are handled, etc.

It's like when you're a low-level employee, corporate politics don't really affect you. For the most part, it doesn't matter what power trips senior staff is on. It will affect you if your boss is on a power trip, but if you have a good boss, it won't. (And then, that's not politics). However, your boss, or their boss, or somewhere up the chain, it's going to start to have an impact.
Fire bosses! Who needs senior management anyway!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Taekwondo.

Say what?!!!

This is 21st century!!! You go audition a school, you choose the school that fits you. Like even when in the 80s, I went looking at schools, I was looking for schools that concentrates in practical fighting. I found a school concentrated on hitting bags, sparring and not forms. I was looking for Bruce Lee type of new style at the time, I found one.

You have your choice. If I see a school that fixated on traditional stuffs, forms and all that, I just politely say thank you and walk away. It's on you. No politics. They can go shove it.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say what?!!!

This is 21st century!!! You go audition a school, you choose the school that fits you. Like even when in the 80s, I went looking at schools, I was looking for schools that concentrates in practical fighting. I found a school concentrated on hitting bags, sparring and not forms. I was looking for Bruce Lee type of new style at the time, I found one.

You have your choice. If I see a school that fixated on traditional stuffs, forms and all that, I just politely say thank you and walk away. It's on you. No politics. They can go shove it.
And you can do that, as a student. That's what I've been saying.

However, when you're a 4th degree black belt and you're seeking your Master certificate from the organization, then the politics might start to affect you. (And if you're not part of the organization, you can't compete in high level tournaments).

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And you can do that, as a student. That's what I've been saying.

However, when you're a 4th degree black belt and you're seeking your Master certificate from the organization, then the politics might start to affect you. (And if you're not part of the organization, you can't compete in high level tournaments).
Well, you are responsible for sticking with it for so long!!! Change style, now a days, it's not even important what style you are in, you just go proof yourself and win a fight. Don't stay a day longer than you have to as soon as you realize the problem.

You might not be able to join some specific competition, you can always go try in MMA or other stuffs. Forget the old school, you have the goods, you can do it. Go try in UFC, you can win, you'll excel. Traditional stuffs are SO behind time. Look at Bruce Lee 50 years ago, Royce Gracie 30 years ago. Time has changed. I am sure you heard how the tradition MA trash Bruce Lee and UFC. If only they have the balls to face them instead of bad mouthing. Win a fight, stop making excuses.........all the rules, age limit....................

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That’s all we need is a couple more BJJ fanatics around here. 😀

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've literally never in all my years had someone walk in and try BJJ and hate it.

Well..that's a lie. There's the odd 'dojo stormer I'm a level 200 ninja' type that stomps and cries when they can't tap anyone in the first night, but those are exceedingly rare.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess I really do not understand. Unlike the older days, we choose a school, we pay and we train. If that doesn't fit one's need, quit, go to another school. This is business, there should be no loyalty involve. People evolve, they get what they want out of the money and it's time to move on. I am surprised some still hold onto the old believe the teacher is the master and one should be total loyal to the master. Maybe that's the reason they never improve, still stuck in the older days while the MA evolve and keep improving and improving.

One thing I like about my former school(back in the 80s), the instructor actually removed a lot of traditional KTD and moved to kick boxing. He even invited a JJ instructor once a while to teach the class so we get to learn a little bit on arm lock and all that. He did not put his pride above the interest of the students.

There is no politics, you choose the school you want to train to maximize your skill, you move to other school as needed. Or else, how can you compete in the modern world where other fighting arts are improving by the day?

Sorry, I really don't understand. You have eyes, there's plenty of videos, it's so easy to see what works and what doesn't.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
working my way toards rabbid frothy mouthed Brazilian JJ fanaticism. It will be about 5 or 6 weeks before I get to roll again, says the Doc.

Why so weak, oh my ribs. getting sidekicked is fine, but one guy bellyflops into side control, and I am on the bench! drat, and double drat!

Latest Discussions