well i'll be darned

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
question brought up in class last night:

deflecting hammer has us step back with the left foot and block away from our center in response to a front kick.

thrusting salute has us step back with the right foot and block across our center in response to a front kick.

the student found these contradictory.

i found myself embarassed that, after 13 years, i had never noticed that little wrinkle.

thoughts?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Happens all the time for me ....

Part of my black belt test was to compile a number of 'Category Completions'. This phrase has puzzled many people because it seems to mean different things at different times.

I dug around a bit and found that it does mean different things at different times. Some of the matchups that qualify are :

• Inside v Outside
  • Advance v Retreat
  • Front v Back
  • Horizontal v Vertical
There are, of course, other match ups.

As an example --- we execute a right downward outward block and right inward elbow strike from the outside of the attacker in Deflecting Hammer and we executed a right downward outward block and right inward elbow strike from the inside of an attacker in Thrusting Prongs.

So, we keep looking for new things, keep seeing new things, and keep feeling new things.

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score

deflecting hammer has us step back with the left foot and block away from our center in response to a front kick.

thrusting salute has us step back with the right foot and block across our center in response to a front kick.

i found myself embarassed that, after 13 years, i had never noticed that little wrinkle.

thoughts?

I think I must be doing these techniques differently because I'm not seeing the difference - DH has a right downward block which comes across the centerline and blocks to the side. TH does the mirror image but with the left arm.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I must be doing these techniques differently because I'm not seeing the difference - DH has a right downward block which comes across the centerline and blocks to the side. TH does the mirror image but with the left arm.

I'm with you on this as well James. The only thing I can think of is Intellectual Departure.

Mike

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Which right foot? You should only have one
icon12.gif
. For Thrusting salute. From the left neutral bow stance, move up the circle with the right foot, exposing all of the targets on their centerline for the kick.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

thoughts?

It does? news to me unless you're referring to the MINOR block done solely as a double factor.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno about all that, but I spent some time last night showing one of my students that the motion of Captured Twigs was not much more than Deflecting Hammer done on the 3:00-9:00 line verses the 7:30-1:30 line....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

thoughts?
You can ride and not cross your original center line on both techs.
Sean

Latest Discussions