Weapons patterns in public

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is a spin off of the forms in public thread.
Some have mentioned doing froms in public with weapons. What are the legalities with this? Have the police given anyone any grief over martial arts weapons, whether you are going to class (in your car), practicing outside in a public park, or at the local Gym/YMCA? I'm sure it is different from state to state. I'm not sure of Ohio.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Legalities should be discussed with a qualified defense attorney in one's own state. They are the only folks that are qualfied to give legal advice.
:)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Finding out about the legalities FIRST seems to be very wise, as the first person to see you with weapons "in the park" is going to whip out the 'ol cellphone and call the police immediately. I've played around with bo forms in my backyard, but that's as far as I'd ever go. If people see you with weapons in public they will assume the worst, as they should (IMHO).

jim

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've made this suggestion on other threads so...forgive me for y'all that have heard it before.

Defense attorneys do more than try to keep bad guys out of jail, they also help law abiding citizens enjoy their lives while staying within the law.

A way to go about it is to find a defense attorney with an interest in firearms or other personal protection matters. You can call your local bar association for a referral...and/or you may even have good luck calling a local gun club for a referral. (You don't have to own a gun, or to even like guns, to ask a gun club for such a resource.)

Many of these attorneys will offer a low cost consultation with some advise for you. Some will even answer some questions by e-mail at no charge.

But please...protect yourself, everyone. Many employers post-911 run criminal background checks on employees. It would be a terrible day to see someone here lose their career and/or their good standing in their community over something easily prevented.

Train safely :asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
here in San Francisco, the police seem to look the other way at least in certain areas. Golden Gate Park is a very popular place for CHinese Martial Art groups to train, and often weapons training is included. It is so common that the police don't worry about it.

If it was in other neighborhoods, they might not be so inclined.

I also understand that here in SF, there is a city ordinance that the weapons cannot be "real", however that is defined. I think primarily they don't want people using sharp spears and swords.

Unfortunately, my stuff is all real, and quite sharp. I am building a set of good quality swords that are not sharpened, but they won't be finished for a while...

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will occasionally run my iaido forms and drills in the park using a bokken (wooden practice sword) but NEVER a live blade. The only other weapon I have worked in the local park is bo staff. Nunchaku are too well known and Kama (though my set are unsharped and for demos) look too threatening. It pretty much goes without saying that a Katana would really be a bit too much.

Latest Discussions