We were on TV!

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Harold,

We were a little sloppy and messed up in places, but we just kept it going. They only gave us one take to do it.

Are you coming down for Ray's Sama Sama this summer?

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great Job on promoting the Martial Arts. Gongratulations. Maybe you could pass on how you got on TV so that maybe some of us could promote our styles in our towns. Again good job and keep up the work.

V/R

Rick English :asian: :asian:

Twist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Great Video.
I got a question about the disarm at 1:00 .. I know a pretty similar disarm but never saw it done with the purpose of hitting the opponent with the disarmed stick - was that intentional?

(Pls excuse my bad English... )

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Rick. We are pretty active in the Filipino community here in Melbourne Florida. My family belongs to the 2 major Filipino American groups here and we are always being invited to do martial arts demos during their Fiestas. I am also a teacher with the local Community College, and the school has a cultural center where we performed last month. The director of the program was friends with the progam manager of the show and told her about us. I am also an Art Director for an AD agency and have made alot of good friends in the industry that know other people.

I guess if i could offer any advice, it would be to become active in your community and volunteer your services to your local Fil-Am organization to help them promote Filipino culture. Check and see what other organizations (like Cultural centers, etc) are around you. See what events are going on around your area too. If there is amature boxing going on maybe they would want to show some stickfighting during intermission, etc...Local papers or TV programs are always looking for good Human Interest stories.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Twist said:
Great Video.
I got a question about the disarm at 1:00 .. I know a pretty similar disarm but never saw it done with the purpose of hitting the opponent with the disarmed stick - was that intentional?

(Pls excuse my bad English... )

Ha!!! purely accidental!

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most exellent! Congrats on the exposure and for doing a such a great job of it!

:asian:

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey I have been hit plenty of times accidentally and sometimes it hurt worse than the planned hit. Can We say hidden technique.

On another Note I don't study Filipino Martial Arts but I still appreciate your advise. Congratulations and it sounds like your selfiless devotion to the community has paid off again Congratulations.

V/R

Rick

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! Great clip!! Thanks for posting it!!! :ultracool

Mike

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy,

Didn't Joaquin (Long hair in clip) just start FMA with Aldon and you only about 3 years? Awesome!!!

BTW:

I am planning on being this time for the Gathering.

Harold

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked it :)

Good touch Andy. :D :ultracool

Thank you for sharing.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Hi all, Joaquin (Cthulhu) and myself did a short demo for our local channel TV31. its a local art channel and we were promoting Filipino Martial Arts in general and our club. We did a little sombrada, tapi-tapi and knife tapping.

http://www.usadinc.net/filedrop/TV31_demo.wmv

Nice clip. The only thing I'd advise for demos is that you slow it down. What we consider a leisurely training pace is still way too fast for non-MAists to follow at all. Of course, being a fellow FMAist, it was very cool from my perspective :)

Also, the FCS influence in your stuff is pretty obvious. I've only trained with Tuhon Ray a few times - a couple of Sayoc Sama Samas and last year in FL at the Kuntao Silat de Thouars Family Gathering - but he's definitely very good and I could see some of his flavor in what you were doing - especially in the stick work you were showing. I don't know if you're under him or just affiliated with him but I figured I'd let you know that the influence is apparent. I know when I've heard comments like that I've been flattered and proud of the fact that I could represent the material well enough that people could recognize my sources so I figured I'd spread that feeling around some :)

Mike

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, thanks everybody for the support!

Harold, yeah Joaquin started about 3 1/2 years ago with Aldon and me, he's been to a couple of Ray's seminars, i think you met him at one before. He's improved alot in a short time.

Mike, thats funny...we "planned' on going easy at a slower pace, but once you get moving in flow...you know how it is. And thanks for noticing the FCS Kali influence. 2 of my good friends (Mike and Aldon) and myself are certified instructors under Tuhon Ray. I chose not to call our school FCS Melbourne because there are other influences that we all have outside of FCS Kali that we try to integrate.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Hey, thanks everybody for the support!

Harold, yeah Joaquin started about 3 1/2 years ago with Aldon and me, he's been to a couple of Ray's seminars, i think you met him at one before. He's improved alot in a short time.

Mike, thats funny...we "planned' on going easy at a slower pace, but once you get moving in flow...you know how it is. And thanks for noticing the FCS Kali influence. 2 of my good friends (Mike and Aldon) and myself are certified instructors under Tuhon Ray. I chose not to call our school FCS Melbourne because there are other influences that we all have outside of FCS Kali that we try to integrate.

LOL. I understand exactly how it is :) I'm no expert on doing demos but I've done a handful. And that's the biggest problem I've always had. I intend to go slow and I try but I always end up moving faster than I intend and, of course, whoever I'm working with ends up speeding up, too. I have gotten better about it but it's still a problem and something I've very aware of - that's probably why it struck me as so apparent in yours :)

Mike

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not the training...I slept in a Holiday Inn Express the night before the demo ;)

We started slow...I think the first two stick strikes were quite leisurely. It kinda blew up after that. We kept TRYING to slow down. That didn't work out so well. The worst part was, right after that, we had to go to our regular training. Five minutes constantly at that pace got me a wee bit winded.

It was fun, and I'd definitely do it again.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Latest Discussions