Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got this at work.

SHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

MAKUHARI, Japan (Reuters) - General Motors Corp will rename its Buick LaCrosse in Canada because the name for the car is slang for masturbation in Quebec, embarrassed officials with the U.S. automaker said Thursday. GM officials, who declined to be named, said it had been unaware that LaCrosse was a term for self-gratification among teenagers in French-speaking Quebec. GM officials in Canada are working on a new name for the car, a sedan that will go on sale next year to replace the Buick Regal. The mix-up is reminiscent of another GM vehicle with an unfortunate name. In the 1970s, GM exported its Chevrolet Nova to Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries, only to be told that Nova translated into "doesn't go." Despite the name, and contrary to popular folklore, the car sold well.

I always wondered why I saw all the Canadiens wearing the Naked LaCross T-shirts, versus the Co-ed Naked LaCross T-Shirts ;)

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I knew some LaCrosse players in college.

:rofl: :rofl:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone hurry up n find oil in Quebec so we can bomb their arrogent, stuck up little croisoint eating butts.

They can all go LaCrosse off. :D

Then again, GM aint the first company to have a little language issue:

====
Real Translations That Didn't Quite Work

COKE:
The name Coca-Cola in China was first rendered as Ku-kou-ko-le. Unfortunately, the Coke company did not discover until after thousands of signs had been printed that the phrase means "Bite the wax tadpole" or "Female horse stuffed with wax" depending on the dialect.
Coke then researched 40,000 Chinese characters and found a close phonetic equivalent, "Ke-kou-ke-le," which can be loosely translated as "happiness in the mouth."

PEPSI
In Taiwan, the translation of the Pepsi slogan "Come alive with the Pepsi Generation" came out as "Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead."

KFC
Also in Chinese, the Kentucky Fried Chicken slogan "Finger- lickin' good" came out as "Eat your fingers off."

Latest Discussions