Watching TKD online

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've actually had pretty good performance from NBC's streaming, as long as I keep the video small. If I try one of the HD streams, or go full screen, it's hopeless.

Keeping the video small is probably a good thing, since I'm at work, and am supposed to be working.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't need to do anything like that, here in the UK, BBC1 has live coverage from morning to evening... Glad I have Sky (satellite) to watch other things... (not saying that I don't like watching TKD, but some of the matches have been, well, not so good - at least to what I'd expect at that level).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in Colorado, no. NBC is broadcasting such exciting things as water polo (which would be improved by allowing players to drown their opponents, just a little) and badmitton (which would be improved by the liberal application of a flamethrower, or by replacing the birdie with a randomly triggered explosive device) but not TKD. Although, as has been mentioned, some of the matches have made me understand why they're not broadcasting TKD.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw a couple of partial matches on MSNBC. Iran vs. Brazil and UK vs. Turkey in one of the men's weight classes. Some great athletes there, especially the Turkish gentleman. I still prefer other spectator sports though.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not in Colorado, no. NBC is broadcasting such exciting things as water polo (which would be improved by allowing players to drown their opponents, just a little) and badmitton (which would be improved by the liberal application of a flamethrower, or by replacing the birdie with a randomly triggered explosive device) but not TKD. Although, as has been mentioned, some of the matches have made me understand why they're not broadcasting TKD.

I hear TJ's match was broadcast on NBC, with Mark Kaufman (former USAT events director) doing the commentary. They also will be showing taekwondo footage tomorrow and saturday on I want to say NBC sport and MSNBC.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw a couple of partial matches on MSNBC. Iran vs. Brazil and UK vs. Turkey in one of the men's weight classes. Some great athletes there, especially the Turkish gentleman. I still prefer other spectator sports though.

I do have to say that all of the rules changes over the last four years since the last Olympic Games has degraded kyorugi competition. It used to be that roundhouse to the body functioned sort of like the jab in boxing - it set everything else up. Not anymore, with people throwing head shots every chance they can. It's as if they want to get taekwondo kicked out of the Olympics. Crazy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear TJ's match was broadcast on NBC, with Mark Kaufman (former USAT events director) doing the commentary. They also will be showing taekwondo footage tomorrow and saturday on I want to say NBC sport and MSNBC.

Varies with area. I did find one 25 minute slot for TKD (which, after commercials means about 15 minutes of actual TKD), which is listed as "prelimiaries for various weight classes". Sounds like they're going to show snapshots of 3 days of fighting.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I live in Korea and I have yet to see a match on TV. Maybe they are showing them before I get home from work. Hopefully Korea will win a gold medal and then I'll be able to see the replay a few hundred times!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do have to say that all of the rules changes over the last four years since the last Olympic Games has degraded kyorugi competition. It used to be that roundhouse to the body functioned sort of like the jab in boxing - it set everything else up. Not anymore, with people throwing head shots every chance they can. It's as if they want to get taekwondo kicked out of the Olympics. Crazy.

Now the cut kick sets things up...seems to me allot more action though and not as much controversy....

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One of the benefits of watching the online coverage (at least the NBC online coverage) is that I didn't hear any commentary during the prelims, quarters, or semis yesterday.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the benefits of watching the online coverage (at least the NBC online coverage) is that I didn't hear any commentary during the prelims, quarters, or semis yesterday.

Maybe a good thing? The announcers on MSNBC almost were to the point of mocking the Brazilian fighter for falling down so much and taking multiple injury timeouts. One of them was Pat Croce, ex-owner of the Philadelphia 76'ers, and I want to say is a TKD BB himself.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe a good thing? The announcers on MSNBC almost were to the point of mocking the Brazilian fighter for falling down so much and taking multiple injury timeouts. One of them was Pat Croce, ex-owner of the Philadelphia 76'ers, and I want to say is a TKD BB himself.
I think he was doing commentary maybe back in 2004, too. He kept yelling "kwang-go" instead of "kyung-go."

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Download and Install expatshield from http://www.expatshield.com/
2. Connect the Expatshield VPN once installed.
3. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video and pick what you want to watch.
4. Enjoy.
:asian:
Thanks so much for this tip. Watching the taekwondo on the BBC turned out to be a much better experience than anything NBC put online or on the web. The BBC commentators are much more informed and balanced, when it comes to talking about taekwondo.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this tip. Watching the taekwondo on the BBC turned out to be a much better experience than anything NBC put online or on the web. The BBC commentators are much more informed and balanced, when it comes to talking about taekwondo.
You are welcome. The BBC commentators were great. I watched on match on NBC and was just sickend by their lack of knowledge of the sport. They made so many mistakes about things and even miss timed calls. A point was scored and they did not mention it for a good 30 seconds then a missed kick and then they said oh she just scored and tied it up when it was tied up 30 seconds ago. I went right back to the BBC broadcast after that.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are welcome. The BBC commentators were great. I watched on match on NBC and was just sickend by their lack of knowledge of the sport. They made so many mistakes about things and even miss timed calls. A point was scored and they did not mention it for a good 30 seconds then a missed kick and then they said oh she just scored and tied it up when it was tied up 30 seconds ago. I went right back to the BBC broadcast after that.

I think one of the biggest problem with taekwondo in the U.S, like soccer used to have, is terrible broadcasting. I remember how poor soccer broadcasting on U.S television was in the early 1990s. Cameras would focus on individual players and their legs, terminology was borrowed directly from basketball, football and ice hockey. Broadcasters -- even now -- never seemed to realize or know that soccer is a a team strategy game in which one has to see the whole soccer field (irrespective of whether one can see the facial details of players or not) to understand what's going on. U.S. soccer broadcasts back then -- and even now -- were filled with misguided opinions that had nothing to do with the game going on. NBC's coverage of taekwondo in the London Olympics was just plain mediocre. Due to that, there are lots of confused people who think "assist" statistics mean anything in soccer. There are people who think scoring by penalty kick is something heroic.

The NBC TV producers, camera crews and broadcasters covering taekwondo in London just didn't know what they were doing. The webcasts of the last Taekwondo World Championships done by ESPN were a lot better.

Latest Discussions