Warrior or Soldier

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the difference between a warrior and an soldier? I will post the actual definitions, but I want to hear everyone's personal definitions. Can one be both, or one but not the other?

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
war·ri·or

NOUN:

One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict: neighborhood warriors fighting against developers.

sol·dier

NOUN:

One who serves in an army.
An enlisted person or a noncommissioned officer.
An active, loyal, or militant follower of an organization.

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
OUlobo,

Those are very good definitions. However, soldiers are also warriors at heart. Both the warrior and the soldier trains for battle. Always preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. Showing bravery in the mist of danger. As I told a young warrior while doing my tour in Iraq, being brave doesn't mean never being afriad. It's doing your job inspite of your fear. I believe there is no real difference in either, but thats just my opinion.

Also, I do have some great Iraq pic on my MSN Site. I just posted Babylon, Iraq pics. Just think, the city was destoryed in 600 BC and was never rebuilt. Also will post the temple at the old City of Ure where Abraham was from. Due to the heat I lost a few rolls of film with some great pics. But I have my friend that lost some film due to heat damage is trading me. I will hope to also post the hanging gardens, and Abraham's house that was rebuilt. Check it out.

http://groups.msn.com/PukulanTjimindeMalay/homepage.msnw

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to have some insight into the reality of modern military leadership and "warrior virtues" read this....

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/au-24/baucom.pdf

Many "Warriors" sacked cities, carried off women as slaves, burned down villages etc. While I of all people value the "Warrior Ethic", as we have recodified it with our modern values. I would hesititae to define the basic concept of a "Warrior" as necessarily "virtious". At least by any modern standard. Remember that was the "Way of War" in those days.

Warriors were warriors because thats what they were. Socially, born into a caste system, Knights, Samurai, Tribal Warriors etc....Soldiers were the "Average Joe" that joined (or were conscripted) into armies, taught how to fight, paid in some manner and sent into battle. Many went back to being "Joe Farmer" afterwards. Some became "Career Men" and sort of crossed the Soldier/Warrior boundary. In our times I would say that the difference between a Warrior and a Soldier is a matter of professionalism, commitment to craft and the honoring of a "code" either personal or codified. In the military, when you meet a "Soldier" vs. a "Warrior" you know it....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just kind of "free flowing" here....

A soldier is more "Job" oriented."I enlisted to be a (X) and after my time is up Im out." A warrior is more "Way" oriented. "Im here because this is what I was meant to do."

Some believe there is no difference...
http://www.achillesheel.freeuk.com/article19_3.html
Do you see a difference between a soldier and a warrior?
No. The soldier and the warrior are the same The warrior in one sense might be a more disciplined soldier if you take some of the elite units. But anybody that stands in the trenches, has got the balls to stand in the trenches, he's a warrior. I cannot take that away from them. How much of the philosophy of the 'Purity Of Arms' is embraced. is each individual's difference.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=s&p=31
soldier (n.) c.1300, from O.Fr. soudier "one who serves in the army for pay," from M.L. soldarius "a soldier" (cf. It. soldato and Fr. soldat "soldier," which is borrowed from It.), lit. "one having pay," from L.L. soldum, from acc. of L. solidus, a Roman gold coin (see solidus). The verb meaning "to serve as a soldier" is first recorded 1647; to soldier on "persist doggedly" is attested from 1954.
warrior 1297, from O.N.Fr. werreieor (O.Fr. guerreor) "a warrior, one who wages war," from werreier "wage war," from werre (see war).
The root of the actual word "soldier" is Solidus a Roman coin. So a soldier joins, trains and fights for pay. A "warrior" in olden times fought because thats what he was born/expected to do. Now a days, I would say a "Warrior" is the type person who would "do it for no pay." It being less about the money and more about "The Way".

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
when i used the term virtue i had these definitions in my mind:
admirable quality: a particular quality that is good or admirable, but not necessarily in terms of morality
effective force: the power or efficacy that something contains to do something

a warrior doesnt necesarrily fight because the cause is morally beneficial, but only because HE thinks its it beneficial.

in old japan there were many warriors that fought because of a strong belief in loyalty to their lord and would fight with or without the pay, but those same lords had many soldiers that were just performing a duty.

im not saying that there arent many warriors in the military, on the contrary, i think it is them that rise to the occasion and become great leaders.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd agree that a soldier is more of a job and a warrior is more of a mindset. You could have someone drafted into service to become a soldier. While he is at war he might well be a warrior (someone who is in a war) but I'd be more likely to use warrior for someone who chooses that life.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
a soldier fights on orders
a warrior fights on virtue
Very nice! I like the sound of that.
icon14.gif

S

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu

All good posts, But what I find interesting is the people (in general) who think there too good to be a solider, and feel that there a "True Warrior" when in fact they have no idea how to be either.

I find that the people that say there a "warrior" are not even close, its just BS ego and what not.

personnaly I have been a soldier and while some are Warriors, many are not.

The more someone says there somthing (in this case Warrior) the more likly there not.

same goes for just about anything, Religion is a good group the more religious somone says they are then less they really are. ( If they were as religious as they say there are then they would not feel the need to tell everyone that they are)

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Silo-fu. In the combat zone I have seen bravery, and cowards. Just enlisting in the military doesn't make you a warrior. However, there are warrior, and cowards forced into bravery. Just because a government orders soldiers into war, it the heart of that soldier to believe in and make the cause justice. My government might of sent me to fight a war over oil. But my fight was to free an enslaved nation. I have seen the mass graves, and the Iraqi police I trained some showed me the the names of the person whom torture them craved into their bodies. I fought to stop an evil man from murdering, and raping at will. That was the fight, I fought, a warrior's fight.

As a police officer I fight to my city safe, and people secure in their homes. I didn't choose to be a warrior, it chose me. I put my life on the line so they wont have to. That is how a lot of soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen and women, a long with all the emergency forces feel. We live your lives with honor, and will die with honor.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is "Honor" to be had in both ways. I know many fine "soldiers" with plenty of honor. Service to your country is honorable regardless of how "pure" your quest for "Warriorship" is.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
True maybe I misspoke

a warrior has his personal honor he is fighting for,and the honor of his family, much in the way of the Samuri, a solider is a fighter of rank, a follower instead of a leader, There is always a bigger fish when it comes to a solder.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
True maybe I misspoke

a warrior has his personal honor he is fighting for,and the honor of his family, much in the way of the Samuri, a solider is a fighter of rank, a follower instead of a leader, There is always a bigger fish when it comes to a solder.
A soldier has a personal honor he is fighting for also . The honor of his country , the honor of the people he is fighting for & the honor of his family .... There may be a bigger fish calling the shots , but that dosn't make the soldier a drone . I think that that is exactly what makes him honorable ....

Frank

G

goshawk

As far as I've been able to figure out these past few years of planning to join the military, the difference is external vs. internal.

Being a soldier is an external thing--choosing to work within a framework, within a code, for a common aim. Working to obey and to lead and accomplish things inside an external code or ethical system. Working might even be the keyword, here.

Being a warrior is an internal journey. The historical sense of the title warrior applies to solitary fighters, men or women who fought alone--for glory or honour or family, doesn't really matter. These days, it's your own journey, on the inside, to become a warrior.

I don't think the two are antithetical, and I think they can be mutually supportive roles. A soldier can be ethical and honourable as and individual in his or her own right, and a warrior can be disciplined and learn to fight from within a framework. However, I'll agree they're two different things.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont really now of any example in military history where signifigant things were accomplished by warriors who "fought alone". The lone wolf, Rambo "Warrior" is a myth IMHO. Even the Samurai and medieval Knights who were of the "Warrior Class" fought in organized battles. Examples of individual combat did absolutely exist, but all warfare is typified by some form of teamwork.

Our modern definition of "Warrior" is very different from the historical model IMO. For example, the Samurai were "Warriors" by caste and at the same time there were Ashigaru "Soldiers" recruited from the other classes who fought at the same time. They all fought, bled and died pretty much the same, but what was expected of the Warriors by their society was quite different. There really is no "class" difference in the military these days (besides the officer/enlisted split), so the difference between a Warrior and a Soldier has picked up all of this philosophical/spiritual/mystical stuff. I just think of the difference as one of "dedication to craft". The difference between somebody who "does something" from someone who "is something".

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
war·ri·or

NOUN:

One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict: neighborhood warriors fighting against developers.

sol·dier

NOUN:

One who serves in an army.
An enlisted person or a noncommissioned officer.
An active, loyal, or militant follower of an organization.

In my opinion one could be A Warrior with out being A Soldier. I also believe the converse, is true also where a Soldier does not have to be a Warrior.

One can be in the military and be support and not have the warrior mentality, and see any combat experience.

One can be a street warrior or have seen combat without any formal training as a soldier.

I agree that many Soldiers are Warriors and this makes a great combination.

:asian:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So is it safe to say that both Warrior and Soldier have the same virtues on what they are there to accomplish?

BTW-who ever posted that Etymology site...I had discovered that one some time ago...I love Etymology .

Latest Discussions