*WARNING - Nude fotos* Naked people pose on Swiss glacier

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20337165/?GT1=10252

BETTMERALP, Switzerland - Hundreds of naked people formed a “living sculpture” on Switzerland’s Aletsch glacier Saturday, hoping to raise awareness about climate change.

The photo shoot by Spencer Tunick, the New York artist famous for his pictures of nude gatherings in public settings worldwide, was designed to draw attention to the effects of global warming on SwitzerlandÂ’s shrinking glaciers.

“The melting of the glaciers is an indisputable sign of global climate change,” said the environmental group Greenpeace, which co-organized the event.

So, what do you think about this statement?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that they run the risk of having people dismiss their concerns because of the method they used to call attention to it; many people will call their actions grandstanding and/or exhibitionism and place less, rather than more, importance on their message.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that they run the risk of having people dismiss their concerns because of the method they used to call attention to it; many people will call their actions grandstanding and/or exhibitionism and place less, rather than more, importance on their message.
Well Kacey you're right about ONE thing... :lol:
But seriously you may be right about it. But then just calling attention to it allows for someone to hear the message even if most people turn away, the seed is planted in the mind and awareness levels are raised to a degree (alibet small).
Most people are aware that there is a concern for global warming but that's all there is... an awareness. It's like being aware that you're being shadowed while walking down a dark street by someone but not doing anything about it except continuing to walk down that dark street. Mebbe nothing will happen, mebbe something will. But it's there in your mind and you'll know to be better prepared in the future.

Nah, that's a bit much... it's just a photo of a bunch of nekkid people laying on ice.

Do they have a enlargement ?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do they have a enlargement ?

To descend into smut for a moment ... surely that would depend on how pretty some of the lady participants were? :lol:

Then again, they are on a glacier, a place not known for it's warm and balmy atmosphere (or maybe that should read 'barmy'? :D).

I have to say that despite the convincing evidence presented very well in such pieces as 'An Inconvenient Truth', I have an ambivalent attitude to this current bandwagon of environmental hooplaa.

Yes, CO2 levels are zooming upwards at an almost stratospheric rate (Yeah! Climatology pun attack :D!) but it is being forgotten that we have seen an unbroken trend of cooling of the planet for several hundred million years. Temperatures now (in this era) are as low as they have ever been and the glaciation has undergone regular cycles for the past million years or so. A fascinating fact to quote to some of the more extreme environmentalists is that the previous cycles of glaciation retreated so fast that the removal of ice from it's farthest advance to 'modern' levels took place in the span of a human lifetime.

Chaotic fluctuation is the norm rather than the exception and from the climate records so far studied the past 8000 years have been the most stable ever seen.

It is only sensible to limit our impact on environmental change, that goes without saying and it is now evident that we can have an impact, ludicrous as that used to sound. But pointing to CO2 as the 'demon' we need to slay then all will be well is ridiculous.

Axial tilt and orbital variation have monumentally more impact. We can reduce our carbon footprint as much as we like and it's a drop in the ocean in comparison.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, climate change is occurring. No, we don't know the mechanism; the climate has changed more than once long before man was running machinery, etc. But that also doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about limiting our impact.

With that out of the way -- I think this group loses their message through their medium. Just like the group of women in 2001 who decided to express their dislike of President Bush's election by stripping and spelling "NO BUSH" with their bodies in Central Park.

(And, I, for one, can't get past the inherent contradiction in their message their! Unless... Well, I think any further explanation would have to go to the After Dark section!)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other hand, warm bodies on ice is going to warm the ice further... :rolleyes:

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, CO2 levels are zooming upwards at an almost stratospheric rate (Yeah! Climatology pun attack :D!) but it is being forgotten that we have seen an unbroken trend of cooling of the planet for several hundred million years. Temperatures now (in this era) are as low as they have ever been and the glaciation has undergone regular cycles for the past million years or so. A fascinating fact to quote to some of the more extreme environmentalists is that the previous cycles of glaciation retreated so fast that the removal of ice from it's farthest advance to 'modern' levels took place in the span of a human lifetime.

Chaotic fluctuation is the norm rather than the exception and from the climate records so far studied the past 8000 years have been the most stable ever seen.

It is interesting to look at current global warming in relation to all the other similar events throughout the planet's history. From an evolutionary point of view, movement toward glaciation appears to happen slowly enough for some species to evolve along with the change, even homo (take a look at homo neanderthalensis). However, movement toward interglacial maximum periods, like now, seem to happen very quickly (less than 100 years perhaps).

What does this mean? Well, I would suggest that periods of global warming are rapid changes in climate regardless of the factors involved (such as pollution and excessive CO2 production). Of course, if we want to survive this warming period we need to control our resource use and make what we do more efficient.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They get naked and lay down on a glacier and it's art. My cousin does the same thing in the parking lot of the Flora-Bama Bar and he's drunk&disorderly and indecent. I guess timing is everything.:)

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They get naked and lay down on a glacier and it's art. My cousin does the same thing in the parking lot of the Flora-Bama Bar and he's drunk&disorderly and indecent. I guess timing is everything.:)

Not if he had a (famous) artist filming it :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More pictures here. Check out that tattooed guy :uhyeah:

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2007/08/20/509361.html?i=1
Wher--- That's not a tattoo ya git! It's a Tan Line! sheesh! :rolleyes:
(j/k)

On the global warming thing... I was watching discovery, history...one of those channels and got to thinking... hey, wait a tic... suppose this warming trend (or cooling trend ... or whatever trend it is) is a natural occurrance of the planet's life cycle? Oh sure we're polluting the atmosphere to no end but part of me is thinking... we've had ice-ages before... maybe the planet is SUPPOSED to be this hot or is supposed to get to a certain temperature and we haven't gotten there yet?
According to one study if man were to disappear totally from the earth, the atmosphere would clear up in less than 5 years or something like that. So maybe it's time to stop wearing sack-cloth and ashes and that big ole' sign around our necks saying "The End Is Near" (or is it Nigh??) Whatever!

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to one study if man were to disappear totally from the earth, the atmosphere would clear up in less than 5 years or something like that. So maybe it's time to stop wearing sack-cloth and ashes and that big ole' sign around our necks saying "The End Is Near" (or is it Nigh??) Whatever!

Uh yeah, but that's just a theory and there'd be nobody around to see if it was correct or not. I think it's a little premature to get out the sack cloth. I prefer a wait and see approach at this point. I'll hang around and see how things work out for the next 50 - 70 years :uhyeah:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the global warming thing... I was watching discovery, history...one of those channels and got to thinking... hey, wait a tic... suppose this warming trend (or cooling trend ... or whatever trend it is) is a natural occurrance of the planet's life cycle? Oh sure we're polluting the atmosphere to no end but part of me is thinking... we've had ice-ages before... maybe the planet is SUPPOSED to be this hot or is supposed to get to a certain temperature and we haven't gotten there yet?

It doesn't matter... some people are so intent on donning the ol' hair shirt that even if 'global warming' went away tomorrow there would be something else to beat us up over. Church-ladyism is not restricted to church-going folks, it seems.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of a Samuel Clemens Quote:
"Clothes make the man, naked people have little or no influence in society."

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So Michaelangelo's nudes are art but Spencer Tunick's aren't? Tunick's been doing this work with nudes for decades, all over the world. He hands out fliers inviting people to participate at a particular time and place. He always gets a great turnout. They undress and position themselves very quickly, he takes the photos, and they disband. Sometimes he just walks up to ordinary people in the street and asks them if they'd pose nude. I'm hardly an exhibitionist, but I'd do it. I love his work.

Despite the fact that the photo was distributed by Greenpeace, it's likely that the people in the photos aren't even a "group," just the usual Tunick volunteers.

But, yeah, they're probably melting the ice...or freezing their arses.

Latest Discussions