kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score

Anatomy of a knife fight!!

Last edited by a moderator:

vankuen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love explicit videos! But I saw that while I was in my law enforcement class many years ago. I think I saw Dan Inosanto is in it! Scary stuff.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Scary stuff to be sure. In the knife fights I've been in, the after effects totally devastated me emotionally and mentally. I've been damned lucky to have survived all of them.

vankuen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't think I ever want to be in a knife fight. But if I am...I'll probably have my gun with me. 15 rounds > knife (assuming I'm not already getting stabbed).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't think I ever want to be in a knife fight. But if I am...I'll probably have my gun with me. 15 rounds > knife (assuming I'm not already getting stabbed).

There was another (police training) video here (also on YouTube) where they show how a knife can out draw a gun even from 15 feet away. So your gun would have to already be out and pointed and cocked and ready to fire.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never been in a knife fight, never plan to. This is why I've become so attached to the cane/shillelagh/la canne. Any of these versions of the stick put their 3 foot length, plus my arm length, between me and that blade. And with a little luck and a lot of practice, hopefully I'll crack a wrist, elbow, skull, even knee or ankle.

These blunt weapons aren't foolproof (gotta avoid the surprise close and attack) but I still like 'em. Use in self defense has gotta be easier to justify to the court, also.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had 'Surviving Edged Weapons' from Calibre Press in my video library for YEARS! It's still the standard-bearer by which all other police training videos are judged. EXCELLENT MATERIAL!

Made me dust off my old VHS copy and watch it again!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
at the range at which most assaults begin (3-10 feet or so), trying to draw your gun is NOT the proper answer to a knife attack.

People go on and on about the "21 foot rule/Tueller rule" without considering that most fights don't start at 21 feet, they start at conversational distances.

vankuen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guys guy guys...I said the gun thing as a joke (that's why I put in parenthesis the bit about not already being stabbed).

There's a part later in that same video that shows who I think is Inosanto closing in on a guy and cutting him up before the gun can be pulled. I saw that in high school many years ago.

OP
kailat

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who may have that and is willing to make a copy of it, or point me in the direction where i could purchase this video... I'd love to purhcase a copy of it... I'd be interested in seeing it all...

Imminent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
at the range at which most assaults begin (3-10 feet or so), trying to draw your gun is NOT the proper answer to a knife attack.

People go on and on about the "21 foot rule/Tueller rule" without considering that most fights don't start at 21 feet, they start at conversational distances.

From the current research the 21 foot rule was expanded to somewhere in excess of 30 feet, 34 or 35 if I can remember. The test Inosanto was involved in had a disconnected set of parameters. On movement of the knife wielder the officer was to draw and fire. When you take into account factors like trying to determine weapon, warning before discharge, and the various other factors involved in deploying lethal force prior to ascertaining a confirmed imminent threat it is easy to understand the seemingly long distance of 35' being reasonable. The people/LEOs/military we teach terminal threat weapons combatives to all seem to be amazed at how much distance distance you can cover in a flat out sprint and how long they seem to take to draw weapons. We use 30 feet and have yet to have a weapon successfully deployed against a knife or h2h attack. If the general public could grasp this our LEO's would perhaps get a lot less criticism for their efforts and alot more understanding.

Latest Discussions