ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xingyi(形意)?
it's like some kind of forms.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yi quan is an interesting art I studied it very brief before I studied Hsing yi. There were some things I took from Yi quan that helped me approach self defense in a different manner. From what I recall as I was taught Yi quan was more stances and concept than a set number of techniques.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xingyi(形意)?
it's like some kind of forms.

No it is not Xingyiquan but it does come from XIngyiquan.

Yi quan (意拳) , also known as dacheng quan (大成拳), is a martial art system which was
founded by the Chinese xingyiquan master, Wang Xiangzhai (王薌齋).

More on Yiquan here

Yi quan is an interesting art I studied it very brief before I studied Hsing yi. There were some things I took from Yi quan that helped me approach self defense in a different manner. From what I recall as I was taught Yi quan was more stances and concept than a set number of techniques.

That is what my last Xingyi sifu said, he had started training yiquan. It was more focused on stance

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting that Yiquan replaces traditional beliefs with Western ones.

Apparently one of the goals of Wang Xiangzhai was to make CMA, or at least Yiquan, more scientific. I read an article about a year ago that compared Wang Xiangzhai view to internal CMA to Bruce Lee's view of Martial arts and it was an interesting comparison.

If I can locate the article I will post it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently one of the goals of Wang Xiangzhai was to make CMA, or at least Yiquan, more scientific. I read an article about a year ago that compared Wang Xiangzhai view to internal CMA to Bruce Lee's view of Martial arts and it was an interesting comparison.

If I can locate the article I will post it.
I'd like to see it. This is the first I've heard of anything like this, and find it interesting.

Latest Discussions