Visiting other dojangs

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder about the other dojangs in my town. As an instructor, I hear about this or that one all the time. I'm curious as to what they do or have to offer. But, running a school myself, I don't know what the etiquite (sp?)is for such a trip (or if It's even a good idea to go).

On the hand, how is best to handle Master X coming to my school to "check it out?"

I see a dozen either could go badly. I'm looking for thoughts on this to make the scenarios (especially #2) go well.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the one hand, I can see going to other schools to learn about what they do and maybe network being a good thing. I can also see the other owners being wary because you could be lookibng to "steal" trade secrets as it were. (I'm not saying that waht you;re doing...just it could be perveived that way).

I guess for scenario #1, call ahead. Be very clear as to your intentions. Go from there.

With scenario #2, I'd think if you've got little to hide in the way of training secrtes, then be open an dgratious to your guest. Again, fostering ood will rarely is a bad thing. If your guest is rude or disruptive, then treat him like you might any other disruptive parent, student, visitor and ask him/her to leave.

Peace,
Erik

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder about the other dojangs in my town. As an instructor, I hear about this or that one all the time. I'm curious as to what they do or have to offer.

I avoid thinking about what other schools in my area are doing. I prefer to believe that this is what they are doing about me. I don't care to go check them out, because I don't believe they have anything to offer me that I don't already have, or that I can't get access to through my own instructor.

But, running a school myself, I don't know what the etiquite (sp?)is for such a trip (or if It's even a good idea to go).

If you want to visit another instructor just to say hi, show respect, and be friendly, then I would say to call them on the phone, introduce yourself, and ask if it would be alright to meet with them at their school, or invite them to yours first. Be sure to make it clear that it is just a friendly meeting for introduction, and not a challenge.

how is best to handle Master X coming to my school to "check it out?"

Anyone who visits my Dojang is a guest, and are treated accordingly. Honored guests, such as visiting Black Belts, Masters, or dignitaries are given special treatment, but anyone who enters my Dojang should treat me with respect, and remember who is the Sabeom and owner of this Dojang.

If conversations from "Master X" get a little uncomfortable, I will cut the visit short and thank them for coming. If they don't leave with a polite hint, then say, "Sir, this is my Dojang, and I want you to leave now." :mst:

If the person is aggressive or challenging, I would caution them about their manners, and walk them to the door. Any person who refuses to leave, I present them with a liability waiver which students, and trial participants sign. This is a Martial Art Dojang, so if someone were to get hurt being shown to the door, they should be aware of the dangers, and sign a "hold harmless" agreement (I also verify they are over 18). In fact, it might be an idea to have anyone who walks in the door sign a liability waiver for your protection (I think I'm going to type a new one up for my school).

If they are under 18, or don't want to sign a liability waiver, then I inform them they are trespassing, and call the police. If they were to attack, self defense is my business, and business is good! :lol2: I will give them their first lesson until the police arrive, but only if it is absolutely necessary (meaning that they physically attack me, or endanger my students).

Most times, I can spot a spy from another school (I have encountered many posing as potential customers). Visitors are by appointment only, so I cut down on harassment by telling them they have to set up an appointment, and return at that time. I give them the facts about my classes, and very little pertinent ammo that they can use. After I have explained the program, I offer for them to join. If they refuse, but keep asking questions about me or my school, I tell them to go home and think about it, then return when they are ready to join. The first appointment is free. After that it is $30.00 per hour to ask questions.... and I talk real slow! :D

CM D.J. Eisenhart

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner, I like your approach. Respect is given to visitors and it seems, often received back, but when it is not they are removed. Simple and direct.
On my take on the topic, I like to know what other schools are doing, regardless of style in case I get a student who is blantantly not a good match for my school, I like for them to get into a school where the fit is good. I realize that my school is not for absolutely everyone. Usually, I just walk in when they are open, but not teaching, introduce myself, and start talking. I also encourage them that if they ever want to stop in and check out my school, they are welcome to and can call me if they ever have any questions.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could place a call ahead and introduce yourself and see if you feel like you would be welcome.
When someone visits my school i go by the "vibe" I get from them.
If they seem ok i show them around and try and make a friend.
If I get the feeling they are there just to take from me I thank them for coming and show them the door! :)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate all thoughts this, my frends. CM Eisenhart, I tend to see things the same way you do when it comes to what's "out there." The more I talk with folks who used to train a "X" school: the more I get know what's "out there." (And it isn't good. Otherwise, they wouldn't be training with me). I agree also that I have everything I need within the organization & with my instructor. My curiosity tends to run along the lines of "what the heck are they doing over there?" Rather than "what good stuff is there?" That kind of thinking isn't helpful to anyone.

One of the benefits of teaching in a community center is that there is no outside advertisment needed to generate students. Therefore, I don't have many "walk-ins" "checking out my school." If teens come from outside the neighborhood of the Center to talk with me about training, I steer the conversation to where else they've trained. (It's happened).

CM Eisenhart, I appreciate your words on this. I will keep your thoughts in mind.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman I always treat everybody with the respect they deserve when they come to visit, around my area though they come to recruit students from me after I have I trained them. As far as going to check out other dojaangs, I'm like CM Eisenhart why, I know what I'm doing and if I need help I have access to many a great people to get help including you and MSUTKD and CM Eisenhart along with a list of others. Always show respect and never be dis-respected in your school.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find I usually check out other dojahngs/dojos when I'm out of town.
For me, the wife shopping, and I see a "Learn Karate!" sign, I'll go hang out there heh. Or Taekwondo, Hapkido, you name it. They are all kin.

I think I was on California once, dropped into a Shotokon dojo, it was just a nice way to find a kind of 'home' for a few minutes. The instructor and I talked for a few minutes before he had to start class, great people there and I really enjoyed that he allowed me to observe.

I think if you're just open and up front with your intentions, most people don't have an issue with others watching.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I don't run a school or teach, I think its a great idea to check out other schools and get to know other owners. It's a wonderful networking opportunity. Plus most businesses in general benefit more by having a friendly relationship with associated businesses in the area. :)

It may help to mention to the owner that you'd like to only be introduced as a black belt that's there for a workout. The old-school ettiquette standard of wearing an absolutely plain uniform (no markings, logos, or patches) when visiting another school IMO applies strongly here too.

Good luck and have fun! Bet you'll meet some interesting new people.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I don't run a school or teach, I think its a great idea to check out other schools and get to know other owners. It's a wonderful networking opportunity. Plus most businesses in general benefit more by having a friendly relationship with associated businesses in the area. :)

It may help to mention to the owner that you'd like to only be introduced as a black belt that's there for a workout. The old-school ettiquette standard of wearing an absolutely plain uniform (no markings, logos, or patches) when visiting another school IMO applies strongly here too.

Good luck and have fun! Bet you'll meet some interesting new people.

Carol:

As an MA student that is easier to do than as an instructor in the same art. I'd bet it would easier for me to have a friendly conversation with the Kung Fu instructor in town: than an instructor in my own art. (In fact, I have had a wonderful conversation with a KF instructor in my very own school. It was respectful & mutually appreciative). Sadly, it's seems harder for TKD folks to be able to that with other TKD folks in the same area. (Even tho I run a program geared for kids that can't afford their school: I'm their competition).

I know I'd welcome in Kacey's, Terry's or CM Eisenhart's dojangs because of our friendships here (as they are welcome anytime in mine). But, I'd be viewed with suspicion from the TKD instructor down the street.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, this all kind of reminds me of the McDonald's/Burger King thing. I could see people from one chain acting as customers, and looking over the menu at the other place. I would even suspect that they might send out spies to get a job at the competitor's restaurant in order to learn details of their operations.

However, I could not imagine the manager of a Burger King going to a McDonald's restaurant and asking to be invited into their back room/office, and chat about business. :lol:

It's kind of like being a Master Chef and owner of a gourmet restaurant for 10 or 20 years, and having somebody open up a similar style restaurant down the street. Then the new guy calls you up and says, "hey, do you mind if I come over and see how you run your kitchen? We can swap some recipes! I've heard you've got some excellent tasting soups. Is it ok if I watch you make it so I can see how you do it?" :lfao:

I could see how this would benefit the new guy, but why would the Master Chef want to do that? :idunno:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many different types of business networking groups where people do exactly that, and many jobs where people do exactly that...night auditors at hotels, as one example.

A commercial school is in competition with teachers from other commercial schools. An instructor from community center, and could be a very good resource for another school to have, if the owner is business-minded to think that way, and if the teacher can present himself or herself to be someone that could be valuable for the business owner to get to know.

If the purpose of visiting other schools is strictly to mooch information and offer nothing in return, then that is not likely to be a proposal that will be taken seriously. The purpose of networking is to explore to see if a professional relationship is to each other's mutual benefit.

It is difficult to cold call, and to position oneself as a person that may be of interest to another business. It's difficult for an experienced businessperson, let alone someone not familiar with the process of cultivating and maintaining professional relationships.

Success in business involves risk and breaking out of one's comfort zone. It also involves managing one's resources such as time and efforts. Choose wisely. :asian:

Latest Discussions