Video Vigilante Fights Prostitution With Camera

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44830036/

OKLAHOMA CITY — For a man who surprises prostitutes and their customers with a video camera to announce, "You're busted, buddy," Brian Bates is remarkably unscathed. No visible scars, no missing limbs.
After 15 years of exposing, documenting and railing against street prostitution in Oklahoma City, Bates is known as the "video vigilante." It's a moniker the local TV stations hung on him years ago after they noticed recurring police reports about a man making prostitution complaints with videotaped evidence.

Thoughts? IMHO, while I do see this guys point, I honestly think that he's playing with fire. In other words, as some have already said in those comments, one of these days, the guy in the car, is going to pull a gun and shoot this guy. Again, while this guys actions may seem noble, I dont think that he's going to end prostitution.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know if they legalized prostitution. Which I think they should and make it a legitimate business for health, and remove a criminal element from many neighborhoods, and reducing the income of pimps, gangs and their influence. And also have it taxable to generate money for the many struggling cities financially. Then this guy wouldn't be risking his personal safety. You know his time will come. Just like the bear whisper guy who he and his girl friend lived with wild grizzly bears and got very close to them for years, until one day they where eaten by a bear(s). Paralleling this guy and the criminals he is around.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd like to know why he's chosen this....profession before deciding if it's noble. Crusade against moral corruption, or against the exploitation of women? Ok, I'll buy those. A psychological vengeance against women, or blackmail scheme where he reports those who don't pay up? Not so much.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is he doing this? I'd say probably because he feels that possibly the police aren't doing anything or enough, to solve the problem. He could be doing it because he feels that if this info get plastered all over the net, it'll humiliate the accused. Hey, to each his own. As long as this guy undestands that one day, his actions could catch up to him. Would I do what he's doing? No.

As for whether or not to legalize prostitution...well, this is just like the other debates on drugs, namely marijuana. Some say by making it legal, it'll cut down on crime, while others feel that it wont. I'm sure some parents wont be happy, legal or not, about their young kid walking down Main St. and seeing half dressed females looking for clients.

Latest Discussions