Video from 1968 Professional Karate Championships

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found it fun, too. Very nostalgic as well.

And Jim Harrison was probably as tough a Karate man as ever was.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found it fun, too. Very nostalgic as well.

And Jim Harrison was probably as tough a Karate man as ever was.
Rules appear to have changed a bit in the last 50 years. Oh, and that pair of side kicks from Joe Lewis made me glad I wasn't on the other end of them (not to mention the one by David Moon earlier).

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's awesome. Thanks for posting.

One of the judges, Robert Trias, is who founded the organization my son competes in.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was fun to watch, thought I'd share it.
This is a good example of Point Sparring. This is the only type of point sparring that I grew up with during childhood as a karate student. There is such a big difference between this video and what we see from today's point sparring. It's also a good example of how to use the stance for defense by shift the stance one or another to make you less of a target.

I enjoyed the video. It's nice to see quality martial arts vs the many "dumb martial arts" videos that plague my facebook account. Sometimes people are too eager to show bad martial arts instead of showing good examples This was a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for sharing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rules appear to have changed a bit in the last 50 years. Oh, and that pair of side kicks from Joe Lewis made me glad I wasn't on the other end of them (not to mention the one by David Moon earlier).

Stupidest thing I've ever done in the Arts, and, man, that could actually be a list, was to ask Joe to throw the hardest sidekick he could while I held a kicking shield. [three shields together, actually.]

Didn't do that again. That man's sidekick could make you find religion.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stupidest thing I've ever done in the Arts, and, man, that could actually be a list, was to ask Joe to throw the hardest sidekick he could while I held a kicking shield. [three shields together, actually.]

My son’s Sensei’s Sensei was a colored belt back in those days and he talk and tell stories about Joe and those other guys all the time. It’s cool to get to show my son them competing back in the day after hearing all the stories about them.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

You trained with Joe Lewis.... Of course you did. I should just stop being surprised about this crap. ;)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this, really great to watch, thanks for posting!

Was great to see point sparring with contact, never really seen that before. And really cool seeing traditional stances, speedy footwork, and creating distance. Alot of full contact stuff I've seen often just turns into a standup slugfest hehe.

Amazing that shutos etc were allowed too!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those guys need to keep their hands up though. ;)

Just reading and watching this again. As for the hands up, that would be good advice, any time, anywhere. But the milieu at that time was dictated by the way they fought tournaments back then. I've sparred with quite a few of those guys in later years. Good luck trying to catch them with their hands down.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just reading and watching this again. As for the hands up, that would be good advice, any time, anywhere. But the milieu at that time was dictated by the way they fought tournaments back then. I've sparred with quite a few of those guys in later years. Good luck trying to catch them with their hands down.

I know...was just kidding.

My son’s school founder was a young black belt back then and held those guys in high regard. Used to tell stories about them and and how tough the fighting was back then.

Latest Discussions