Vee-Arnis Jitsu

H

Hosinsul71

Has anyone here taken, involved in, or studied through seminars and videos the art of Vee-Arnis Jitsu? Also, have you ever watched the videos through ESPY-TV?

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know Whoopass has. I'll see dif I can get him to post........

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
A brief background. To try to define Vee JJ is similar to asking different folks from different ages to describe/define Modern Arnis. You will find that the folks from the 70's, 80's and 90's all view Modern Arnis differently. Just go over to the Modern Arnis forum and you'll see debates among folks from the different Modern Arnis era. Ditto with those associated with Professor Florendo Visitacion, otherwise known as Prof Vee. To make a long story short, Prof Vee decided a long time ago that it would be wise to delineate the different forms of the Vee Arts. So you will find folks who come from Vee JJ '55, Vee JJ '65, Vee JJ '75 and Vee Arnis Jitsu. Each of those arts represent stages of Prof Vee's evolution in the martial arts. Prof Vee named different successors for each of these lineages. I come from the Vee JJ '65 lineage. One important note......the name itself is deceptive. Vee Jiu Jitsu......it's really not "jiu jitsu".........there are jiu jitsu and judo components to the Vee Arts but there's so much to it than just jiu jitsu. Each of the Vee arts is an open ended system. Prof Vee was quite well known for his famous phrase that "you'll start to understand everything when you have studied at least three martial arts in depth." He was very openminded and receptive to concepts from other martial arts, just as Prof Remy Presas was.

In addition to naming successors for each of the Vee Arts, Prof Vee also promoted a number of people to 9th degree black belts, thus giving them the opportunity to start their own systems. An example is Moses Powell starting Sanuces Ryu JJ, or Lil John Davis starting Kumite Ryu or Sugar Crosson starting Sugar Ryu or Ricciardi in Florida starting Niseido. All of these are recognizable as Vee arts but with different flavors. This is akin to Professor Presas naming the 6 Datus and letting them go off on their own.

As far as Vee Arnis Jitsu, the successor is David James. There are a few videotapes featuring David James and Prof Vee himself. Vee Arnis Jitsu represents Prof Vee's art in his final form. He incorporated influences from Amante Marinas, Leo Gaje, Remy Presas into the formation of Vee Arnis Jitsu. I believe that one of the earlier Vee Arts, possibly Vee '75 was heavy on kenpo concepts but he later abandoned that in favor of Arnis concepts. While I've never met with or worked with David James, I can tell you that much of the material on the Vee Arnis Jitsu tapes are quite recognizable. There are a lot of similarities between the different Vee arts but there are differences too. To that extent, the David James tapes is a fair representation of Vee JJ looks like.

Hope that answers your question.

Take care.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've praticed under an instructor named Jonathan Stewart, who said he hade practiced under Prof. Vee. How much he had in his style and what was what of what he showed me, I don't know.

Other than this I havn't seen that much of Prof. Vee's style(s) in europa.

/Yari

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've praticed under an instructor named Jonathan Stewart, who said he hade practiced under Prof. Vee. How much he had in his style and what was what of what he showed me, I don't know.

Other than this I havn't seen that much of Prof. Vee's style(s) in europa.

First, it's not surprising that you will not find much of Prof. Vee's style (s) in Europe. The vast majority of his seminars were mostly limited to the east coast of the USA. Furthermore, the vast majority of his students were located in the NY City area. There are those who are scattered around the USA. However, from my perspective, it's not as widespread as say Modern Arnis is. As a point of reference, there are similarities between Vee JJ and Small Circle. Indeed, Prof. Wally Jay and Prof Vee went back a long way. If I recall correctly, both Wally Jay and Prof were once representatives of the Danzan Ryu folks in their respective geographical areas. Both eventually broke away to found their own styles. A general description of Vee is that there are judo/ju jutsu throws and sacrifices, joint locks, and a good deal of atemi waza (strikes). Very general, to be sure.

As for Jonathan Stewart, has he mentioned whether he trained under any of Vee's students prior to studying with Prof Vee ? Has he mentioned whether he has worked with any of Prof Vee's students ? If so, who ?

Thanks and take care.

:D

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhoopAss

As for Jonathan Stewart, has he mentioned whether he trained under any of Vee's students prior to studying with Prof Vee ? Has he mentioned whether he has worked with any of Prof Vee's students ? If so, who ?

Thanks and take care.

:D

He stated that he'd practice directly under Vee himself.

/Yari