Valuable lesson learned outside today

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
This morning I went down to a local park overlooking the Pacific (life is rough) to train. I took my shoes off and realized that the soft, but relatively short grass would be perfect for ukemi. The grass was wet from dew and would stay wet as it started to rain.

Later, while practicing walking and doing shutos, I extended my forward foot as I normally do in the dojo. My bare foot slipped on the wet grass and I almost fell. The next step - same thing.

So, dry feet on a dry floor is one thing, and in theory I knew it would happen, but hey, valuable lesson learned. If unsure of my footing, I shouldn't extend as far, or I should better distribute my weight.

Shikin harimitsu daikomyo, indeed.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This may be somewhat related; I practice my kata behind the local laundromat when I do my laundry on Sundays. Since I'm wearing shoes, my pivots and kicks are all different, and they don't feel at all the same. A snap kick is just not easy to do when you're wearing tennis shoes, and I have to keep in mind that in a self-defense scenario, I'd be likely wearing shoes. So I think it's good for me to practice while wearing shoes.

OP
B

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully you're wearing more than just shoes. It may be laundry day, but you have to hold SOMETHING in a tactical reserve.

I agree with you completely, though, to get back on topic.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This morning I went down to a local park overlooking the Pacific (life is rough) to train. I took my shoes off and realized that the soft, but relatively short grass would be perfect for ukemi. The grass was wet from dew and would stay wet as it started to rain.

Later, while practicing walking and doing shutos, I extended my forward foot as I normally do in the dojo. My bare foot slipped on the wet grass and I almost fell. The next step - same thing.

So, dry feet on a dry floor is one thing, and in theory I knew it would happen, but hey, valuable lesson learned. If unsure of my footing, I shouldn't extend as far, or I should better distribute my weight.

Shikin harimitsu daikomyo, indeed.

Your stance is too high for the conditions that you are in. If you are on firm, flat, dry ground, it is perfectly fine to stand upright. However, when you are on slippery or uneven terrain, you must sink lower (from the knees).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully you're wearing more than just shoes. It may be laundry day, but you have to hold SOMETHING in a tactical reserve.

I'm a Celt by descent. We believe in the value of going into battle naked, painted blue, with cow-dung in our hair (fortunately, I have no hair).

I agree with you completely, though, to get back on topic.

I enjoyed the side-track. And the breeze wafting through my...nevermind.

OP
B

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your stance is too high for the conditions that you are in. If you are on firm, flat, dry ground, it is perfectly fine to stand upright. However, when you are on slippery or uneven terrain, you must sink lower (from the knees).

Oh, Carol, I didn't see you there! You should have come over and said hi! ;)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still make adjustments when training in different environments.

Uphill.

Downhill.

Mud.

Gravel.

I am lucky to live near a private park that offers these different environmental scenarios and great people to train with.

Great point about shoes. Boots and sneakers have a different feel for me.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are all kinds of variations on this theme. :uhyeah:

Speaking of which, I need to dig out my MA skirt again. Everyone thinks I'm wearing a hakama ...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The thread makes me think of a line in Frank Herbert's "Dune" (original 1st novel) where Paul getting ready to fight someone with knives has a memory of his trainer Gurney telling him "on unfamiliar ground, bare feet are best".
Makes me wonder if Herbert hadn't been a MA-practitioner or something. His novel is replete with SD/MA tidbits as he describes the hero's training.

But either way where-ever possible I will practice barefoot because ce' la vie say the old folks, goes to show you never can tell.

:asian:

OP
B

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Next

Try training outside, in the dark, with little or no artificial light

I guess I didn't mention that I'm blind.

(kidding)

Actually, another good one would be to practice with one eye covered to simulate loss of sight due to blood/mud/dirt/etc., swelling, or loss of the eye. Depth perception would be interesting indeed - you'd have to rely on other cues or move your head from side to side like cats sometimes do (some of you might be familiar with some night-vision goggles that require the same technique, too).

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to get too technical, sorry. When in the dojo/training hall, rooting, balancing, stance transitioning are all easier. This is all done in preparation for the uneven terrain of the battle field, so to speak. This whole thread is a good reminder not to get too fancy while training. Now back to OP, we did a lot of outdoor sparring also.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I didn't mention that I'm blind.

(kidding)

Actually, another good one would be to practice with one eye covered to simulate loss of sight due to blood/mud/dirt/etc., swelling, or loss of the eye. Depth perception would be interesting indeed - you'd have to rely on other cues or move your head from side to side like cats sometimes do (some of you might be familiar with some night-vision goggles that require the same technique, too).

In the Corps, we used to practice shooting our sidearms with our strong arm tied to our body, to force us to use the weak hand. Also used the eyepatch over the dominant eye, fired the weapon upside down using the pinky finger as a trigger finger, and put oil on our hands to simulate slippery blood. Whole different experience.

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Morning , if you are training for real life, outdoors, inside small rooms, hall ways, bathrooms with only one way out, rooms & places with weapons of chance ect... wearing street clothes, jackets, boots, bare feet, runners every thing changes.
You have restricted movement, footing is different, you really have to be aware of your surroundings ( weapons of chance ect...)
I have trained & fought in all these manners, it's very eye opening.
Try to get some friends or club mates one weekend and try it , you will have a lot of fun & learn a whole lot about your self and fighting in general.
You'll have to use all ranges & ways of fighting.
train hard, stay safe

Latest Discussions