How do you take your vacation weeks..

• All at once

• Spread them out

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you that get 2 weeks vacation time or more take them all at once or do you spread them out...Me I spread them out..It's tough enough going back to work after one week...

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember that from my brief time as a school bus driver...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since I'm self employed it is vacation whenever I want it to be. Yea for me.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My husband gets 5 weeks per year and we DEFINITELY spread them out! :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well since I'm self employed it is vacation whenever I want it to be. Yea for me.

We are in the same boat and yet that does mean no or less money coming in when we are on vacation.
icon9.gif
Still I like the flexibility.
icon14.gif

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spread them out.

If I took it all at once I would not be able to get out of e-mail jail (* Over your limit on the server *) with all the urgent must answer that could have been answered if they followed up with the contacts I put in the auto reply.

I would not be able to stop some managers from chaning their minds on what they want and then get my team or suppliers off doing work without written requirements, and then asked if they are going to pay for the changes, look at you, like you have a third head on your shoulders and say I never told them to spend money. No you only told them to do it or we could not sell a product.

Plus it seems every time I go for even one week plus a day or two they post a new job during the time I am off that must be applied for while I am off.

So yes I spread it out. One reason is self defense. The other reason is to get to do multiple things. Such as visit parents. Go to a martial arts event. Go on a motorcycle ride.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both!

Like arnisador, I get 13 weeks off in the summer - but I also get 10 days a year of personal time (vacation and sick leave, rolled into one), which I've never used all of; it rolls over from year to year. I use the personal time one day at a time, here and there, to attend MA events and do other things that have to be done during the day - doctor's visits, for example. I really don't like taking time off of work during the year, though, because it's hard on the kids.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I generally spread it out. As it stands right now, my assignment gives me lots and lots of flexibility, so I've only burned like a day or two... Gonna be in use or lose at the end of the year, so I've gotta start taking some. It's just hard... Too much work in the summer!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As of this winter I'll have 4 weeks, and I spread it out a lot. For the most part, I've largely taken 1-2 days off at a time to make a long weekend. But if I meet a cool guy to take vacations with me, then I suspect I may take more than a day or two at a time. :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately spreading your vacation out if you can to once a quarter is a great way to go. That way there is always a vacation just around the bend and you get revived as much as possible!
icon6.gif

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get 21 days. I take a week in the Spring, a week in the Summer, and spread out the rest of the days.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gonna be in use or lose at the end of the year, so I've gotta start taking some. It's just hard... Too much work in the summer!

I hear ya, same with my dept...Yes, LOTS of work in the Summer...

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get 32 paid days off. I spread them out all over the place. Mostly day-by-day. All days must be taken by year end, so some years I end up with the month of December off.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
, so some years I end up with the month of December off.

I could't do a whole month..It's an efforst to return to this hell hole after a week...

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spread mine out, gives me time to decompress at intervals, and since for every week I take it usually takes me 3 weeks to catch up, it's better for my sanity. I get 4 weeks starting in January :D

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spread mine out, gives me time to decompress at intervals, and since for every week I take it usually takes me 3 weeks to catch up, it's better for my sanity. I get 4 weeks starting in January :D

Cool...Next year I get 5 weeks ( I think,can't remember)...

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gotta say five weeks is nice. My husband takes a vacation every 8-9 weeks. ;)

I would LOVE to do that..I have to settle for every 3 months for me..

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Wife and I do a bit of both. She gets a percentage of time worked as "Earned Bank Time" and can use it however she wants, either personal, sick, or vacation time. It works out to 4 or 5 weeks a year and we generally take a bit here and there. Because I work for a complete jerk who... Oh wait a minute, I work for myself. Because I work for a great guy, I get as much time as I need to work with her schedule. This year we are taking a bit of a longer one and spending most of Aug. OOT (Out of Town). We are going back to West Michigan and just relaxing on the beach for a few weeks, then heading down to the Henry Ford Museum so the Ruffians can see some bits of History they have learned about in school.

Usually I end up with 3 or 4 days a week during the Summer. The family comes first and I can schedule 99% of my work around nice days so I can get the Ruffians out fishing, or just a day playing with them. In fact this Friday, Sat, and Sunday I am taking everybody to a Bluegrass festival so they can hear some of it live and see if they like it (Personally I would rather go to a Jazz and Blues thing).

Latest Discussions