Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
spacer.gif
Source: http://www.turtlepress.com/info_martial_arts_injury_treatment.asp

spacer.gif
Using Ice vs. Heat to Treat Injuries
by Trish Bare Grounds

The age-old question is how do you know when to use ice or heat? This one is easy to answer.​
If an injury is less than 7 days old, new in other words, the only thing you want to use is ice. If an injury still has quite a bit of swelling and/or pain, even if more than 7 days old, you want to use ice following any workout, even if you are going to workout or fight later on in the day. If the injury is no longer swollen and simply sore or stiff after 7 days you can either use a moist heat pack (NOT DRY HEAT PACK) or heat rub prior to a workout to help increase the blood flow to the area. You should always use ice at the conclusion of the workout, usually for at least two to three weeks (or as long as it is painful or swollen) while the tissue is healing.
If NO INJURY has occurred and you are simply tight or sore from a previous workout a moist heat pack or heat rub can soothe aching muscles and help to loosen them prior to working out, and ice following the workout if you are still sore and aching, or have any pain. Whether using ice or heat prior to a workout ensure ample extra time to warm up and stretch prior to any workout or competition.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's an interesting link. Thanks.

FWIW my General Practitioner told me to use ice up to 48 hours after injury. If the swelling persists, however, it makes sense to my uneducated mind to continue with the ice for longer if necessary.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was also told ice up to 48 hrs as well. The article made an interested note for 7 days though.

When I used to work with college athletes their coaches had them do a ice bath after work out. This helped with the sore muscles you usually get after a workout (delayed onset muscles soreness).

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was also told ice up to 48 hrs as well. The article made an interested note for 7 days though.

When I used to work with college athletes their coaches had them do a ice bath after work out. This helped with the sore muscles you usually get after a workout (delayed onset muscles soreness).

Yes that is right. He is an animal. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Heat is never good for pain. I take cold showers, it does wonders for pain and muscle stiffness. If you sprain something go to a sports clinic (sometimes they do free acupuncture) or go to an acupuncturist. They will draw out the fluid then you're done. I do warn you though it is painful when they draw out the fluid. I had a guy who sprained his ankle and had it done. He was amazed he could run right afterwards.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I am recalling things correctly,

ice shuts down capillaries in the area — a GOOD thing when an injury is fresh, as you don't want more blood pooling in the area.

Heat promotes blood flow to an area — bad if it is bleeding still, good if it isn't bleeding and you want the blood to bring the building blocks to that area.

Latest Discussions