Update: Canada’s Supreme Court Okays Same-Sex Marriage; Religious Freedom Protected

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Update: Canada’s Supreme Court Okays Same-Sex Marriage; Religious Freedom Protected
clear.gif

Author: Sue Bailey Source: Canadian Press
clear.gif

Title: SUPREME COURT OKAYS SAME-SEX MARRIAGE; RELIGIOUS FREEDOM PROTECTED
http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detaila.html?id=11729

fire.gif
clear.gif
Canada's top court says Ottawa has the authority to redefine marriage to include same-sex couples, but religious officials cannot be forced to perform unions against their beliefs.

The Supreme Court of Canada refused to say whether the traditional definition of marriage - between one man and one woman - violates equality rights.

It noted the federal government has already accepted lower-court judgments that excluding gays from marrying is discriminatory.

The court says times have changed and the legal definition of marriage should change with them.

Submitted by and Thanks to: Canada Witch, Phoenix Rafael and Cat

Additional Article Link: [Click HERE]
Options: [Read Full Story]

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
like brett hull said, "see what happens when there is no hockey"
but really........the times are a changin.
were just a bunch of liberal free spirits here.

shawn

R

raedyn

BlackCatBonz said:
were just a bunch of liberal free spirits here.
I dunno if I'd go that far. The opposition has several times introduced legislation to 'protect' marriage. IE - to specifically define it as an arrangement as one man and one woman. Sure, they've been defeated, but it's not like everyone in Canada is on board with the courts.

If it's defined only as one man and one woman, I wonder how they deal with it if one of the parties involved has had a sex change? (okay, I'm just being silly. But I think the people that get all worked up about the "threat to society" are just being silly.)

Latest Discussions