uniform weight

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What's your preferred weight of your uniform? I'm looking at a Century 8oz middleweight in black, maybe the complete uniform since my heavyweight black pants are a little faded after a decade... but wondering if maybe I should go to the 10oz. Century doesn't list the weight of the lightweight, but I know it's better built than some of the 5oz things my students have been getting online somewhere.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
and while we're talking uniforms, another question -

which top to you prefer, the traditional tie at the sides or the pullover 'TKD' top? I abhor the pullover, however it's the only top I have that fits (my white traditional has a Hapkido patch, my black instructor doesn't currently fit). I have to go full sleeve, hate the 3/4 look.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally use a 14oz gi that I bought online from the states. I've had it for about 2 years now and it hasn't faded at all (or not noticeably) and has held together really well even with solid throws. As for preference, I like the idea of the ties but I know a few people who never use them and instead just use the belt to hold their gi top closed.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no idea what my different GIs actually weigh. However I prefer a medium weight Gi with traditional cut, short arms and reinforced around the neck down to the ties. A lightweight gi wears out way too quickly, unless it is used for lighter training and instructing only.

10006-001-.jpg

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back when I did arts that used gis, I preferred 12oz heavyweight.

Now... a tshirt, loose pants & tennis shoes are fine.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your preferred weight of your uniform? I'm looking at a Century 8oz middleweight in black, maybe the complete uniform since my heavyweight black pants are a little faded after a decade... but wondering if maybe I should go to the 10oz. Century doesn't list the weight of the lightweight, but I know it's better built than some of the 5oz things my students have been getting online somewhere.

Heavy weight. More durable.

and while we're talking uniforms, another question -

which top to you prefer, the traditional tie at the sides or the pullover 'TKD' top? I abhor the pullover, however it's the only top I have that fits (my white traditional has a Hapkido patch, my black instructor doesn't currently fit). I have to go full sleeve, hate the 3/4 look.

Tie at the sides.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends. If the uniform is primarily for karate...

I like medium weight just fine if it is one of the "new" fabric gi like a Hirota Pinack (http://www.kuroobiya.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=99. Otherwise, if we are talking all cotton, give me the heaviest one possible, like 14-16 oz fabric.

When we have a grappling class, I like my double weave judo uniforms.

By the way, the TKD v-necks are possibly the least functional uniforms I've come across. They're light in weight and just don't hold up to training if you do any throws at all, and they don't even do a good job of holding your sweat during hard workouts. Haven't tried any v-necks that are made of wicking fabric yet however. Maybe those can be OK for TKD training.

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
Heavyweight for Kata, lightweight for Sparring. I've also been considering a Rek Suit for sparring. I know I've seen it at the Dojo and they look super comfotable.

Depends. I
I like medium weight just fine if it is one of the "new" fabric gi like a Hirota Pinack (http://www.kuroobiya.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=99. Otherwise, if we are talking all cotton, give me the heaviest one possible, like 14-16 oz fabric.

$250 for a heavyweight uniform? Not even Tokaido or Shureido cost that much.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
$250 for a heavyweight uniform? Not even Tokaido or Shureido cost that much.

Hirota is a quality brand as well. The owner of Hirota worked for Tokaido I believe before starting his own company. As for the price, yep, they're not for everyone.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
10 or 12 oz is good for me as long as it's 100% cotton. Can't stand those poly blends. Traditional crossover too.

We are thinking of breaking away from the traditional look for our open tournament fight team.

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
We are thinking of breaking away from the traditional look for our open tournament fight team.

Yes! I have to say I've felt MUCH more comfortable sparring with non-traditional uniforms.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The hevier the better for me. Traditional side ties because I feel they stay closed better. Same for ties over an elastic waist. And I preffer 3/4 sleeves. If I can`t get them I`ll roll them up.

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While I've never worn a really heavy gi/dobahk, I prefer my heavier (~7-8 oz) over the lighter (~5oz). The heavier is a Century, and the lighter is ProForce "Ultra Lite." Too light and it just feels like pajamas and it's almost transparent lol. The Ultra Lite gets it's own peculiar smell, especially if I bleech it, and it sticks to my skin.. yech.

I think I'll ask Santa for a new, higher quality, uniform for Christmas. I've been a good boy :angel:

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer the lace up pants. Pulled the old black dobak out last night, it actually looks great, especially for being 10-12 years old. Good enough that I'm debating holding off a new one and just waiting until I lose the weight. Which is all located in one spot :(

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For everyday use (teaching, training), I use a Tokon Sovereign (11 ounce), which is their top of the line uniform. It's more of a middleweight to light heavyweight, and is made from a really nice brushed cotton fabric that wicks away perspiration, while also being quite durable.

I also have one of their 12 ounce Tokon Europa uniforms, which is almost as nice as the Sovereign, but not quite as refined. Still very comfortable.

While these uniforms cost significantly more than your entry level ones, they're much more durable, and you're going to feel a lot better training in them, because they breathe more easily, and keep you drier than the cheap ones that cling to you...

For the students, we have a middleweight gi that uses 8-9 ounce 100% cotton fabric (similar to the Tokon Kodomo). Durable enough to last for a while, they don't cling to you, and they'll also stand up to light grappling drills, too. Again, while not as cheap as the paper-thin Century ones you can buy off the internet, they're a lot more durable, and there's no sense in making your students miserable.

For people looking for a nice gi, but don't want to pay 250 for a top of the line Shureido (it's worth it, though), my short list of recommendations:

Tokon Europa - 12 ounce brushed cotton
Arawaza Sapphire - Essentially the same as the Tokon Europa, actually slightly nicer
JUKA Bronze - Again, similar to the Europa, a bit lighter.

These uniforms sell from 95-125, if you look carefully.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer the Century lightweight to some of the lightweight stuff some of my students have been showing up with from online. Since I don't do any ordering, I don't really push anything. Well, slightly Century because the YMCA as a non-profit does not pay sales tax and the Y also pays shipping, which does save the student or parent some money.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I personally prefer heavier weight uniforms. Especially for instructors.
12 to 14 ounces of canvas is ideal in my opinion.

These days there are many material types. As a good uniform will cost almost $100. (They can cost much more, as well) in some cases, a durable one would be preferred.

Of course, a heavier weight uniform will require more break in time and effort. :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
i love my sheraido (sp?) gi, now down at the dojo so can not check the spelling. lol.
its a super heavy weight called the "instructor weight" as i remember. pops great. 100 percent cotton. and well tough as nails. my old instructor has had his for 10 years of hard training.. he is starting to get to where he needs a new one. mine is 3 years old and looks like new.

Latest Discussions