UFC purchases Strikeforce

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just saw the news. Zuffa purchased Strikeforce. Thoughts?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering when this would happen... The UFC has a monopoly on MMA by buying out anyone who poses any semblance of threat at competition.

I wonder if this is really good for the sport, not saying it isn't it just makes me wonder about healthy competition of different leagues.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
No different than what happened to the various professional leagues over time, football, basketball, all the pro sports consolidate into a top tier league.

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So much for MIXED martial arts. It's good business, but with everyone under one roof, there won't be much variety. Think NASCAR. Back when it started, everybody had new fresh ideas and looked/raced differently. Now they're so rule bound they may as well be a spec class. Guess we're stuck with schoolyard bully/Roycie-jitsu/leg kicks for the long haul.

The UFC bought Japan's Pride Fighting Championships in 2007, and World Fighting Alliance and World Extreme Cagefighting in 2006. It also struck a deal with Affliction that prompted the clothing manufacturer to become a sponsor rather than a rival promoter.
The UFC ran the WEC as a separate entity focusing on lighter weights until December, much like it plans to do with Strikeforce. The promotion has since been absorbed by the UFC with the addition of bantamweight and featherweight classes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I talked to a couple of guys who have fought for Strikeforce and they're pretty excited about it. I don't know whether it will be good or not. I think that competition makes the sport better, but (and I know that Tez won't agree) I believe that most of the growth and money in MMA are a direct result of the UFC. While MMA existed (sort of) before the UFC adopted the unified ruleset, fighters are getting paid better, are getting endorsements and making a living largely because of the UFC.

So, I'm mixed, I guess. It will be good for the strikeforce fighters who don't get cut.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've like having more promotions. There are more fights to watch that way. I also like seeing the variations on the rules and seeing how that affects the fights. The UFC is awesome, but the competition is awesome too.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There will still be a ton of amature leagues and some other pro leagues but let's face it the UFC is the pinnacle in the MMA world and really that probably is not a bad thing! ;)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I talked to a couple of guys who have fought for Strikeforce and they're pretty excited about it. I don't know whether it will be good or not. I think that competition makes the sport better, but (and I know that Tez won't agree) I believe that most of the growth and money in MMA are a direct result of the UFC. While MMA existed (sort of) before the UFC adopted the unified ruleset, fighters are getting paid better, are getting endorsements and making a living largely because of the UFC.

So, I'm mixed, I guess. It will be good for the strikeforce fighters who don't get cut.

I agree with this, most casual fans only know the UFC and those fighters. To them it does equate to UFC=MMA and think of them as interchangeable much like saying Pro Football=NFL.

The UFC/Zuffa/Dana White put MMA in the mainstream. They are continuing to do so with free shows and then UFC Unleashed showing fights of past shows for free. They are also making big strides because of the free shows and hyping their PPV during them to get more people interested.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score

I've like having more promotions. There are more fights to watch that way. I also like seeing the variations on the rules and seeing how that affects the fights. The UFC is awesome, but the competition is awesome too.

These two pretty much summed up my feelings, and why I too, am torn about it.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have one question though:
What will happen with Paul Daley?
He was booted from the UFC and was set up to fight Nick Diaz in Strikeforce for the title.

Dana White said he will never let him back in the UFC again.

Latest Discussions