UFC 89 Bisping vs Leben Results

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers! LOL! best keep your heroes at a distance though lol they are never as good as you think close up! Actually Bispings okay but can't stand his dad lol!

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cheers! LOL! best keep your heroes at a distance though lol they are never as good as you think close up! Actually Bispings okay but can't stand his dad lol!
lol yeah i do try to keep a distance but i had to send Bisping just a tiny email. :ultracool lol.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't heard much trash talking about British fighters. And I don't think people were talking trash on Bisping after the Leben fight because "Americans like brawls" and Brits like "technical fights". Hardly the case. While Bisping is good, technical etc is game plan is often to stay away and score points, as it was in the case with Leben. Leben pushed the fight the entire time. While Bisping's strategey worked, it becomes frustrating because someone has to "step up" and bring the fight to the other guy in that case. Leben did that, it made the fight, but it also cost him the fight. He walked through everything Bisping had, charged forward even though he was at a reach disadvantage, and lost on points as a result. That kind of thing gets old.

Now, for a comparison look at the best fight of the night; Paul Taylor vs Chris Lytle. Wow what a fight. Technical, both fighters pressed the fight, both took the opportunity to take angles and counter punch, then press. I'm a fan of Lytle, but man can Paul fight, technical, clean and crisp - I love his style. I would love to see Bisping come out and bang like Paul did.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe he just misspoke himself, or I misunderstood what was said. It kind of surprised me because before the fight he talked about ko-ing him and wanting a short fight. Then the comments after it seemed opposite.

You are correct on what he said - that he wanted to stay outside of reach, use his movement and let Leben come to him, and win on points.

I agree with the British vs. American view of fighting. I remember in boxing watching Lennox Lewis and how much grief he got over being a technical fighter instead of really going for the KO a la Tyson.

Tyson wasn't a technical fighter?

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone likes bispingy as a fighter. The guy is a weiner. He lost to Rashad, and to Matt Hamil imo. He runs around the cage like a sissy boy. Can't wait to see him get thrashed by a good fighter that he can't outrun! :2xbird:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone likes bispingy as a fighter. The guy is a weiner. He lost to Rashad, and to Matt Hamil imo. He runs around the cage like a sissy boy. Can't wait to see him get thrashed by a good fighter that he can't outrun! :2xbird:

Ah and they say trash talk is going out of style. It's a shame though that Bisping doesn't actually care what people think though isn't it?

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ah and they say trash talk is going out of style. It's a shame though that Bisping doesn't actually care what people think though isn't it?

Hey, it's the internet and this thread was turning all lovey dovey,lol.

I just can't respect the way the guy "fights".

Why would he care about what I think? He's the one getting paid!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, it's the internet and this thread was turning all lovey dovey,lol.

I just can't respect the way the guy "fights".

Why would he care about what I think? He's the one getting paid!!

What's wrong with lovey dovey? fighters have fans ....and mates so you can hardly be surprised if fans and mates stick up for them can you?
This is more than the internet, this is MT where conversations and debates are civilised.
of course he's being paid but here's the question..... you can criticise but can you do better lol?

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not the one being paid, the one competing, or the one up for criticism. So, the question of what I can or can't do is irrelevant.

The competitors are up for criticism, not the spectators, in any sport.

This is more than the internet, this is MT where conversations and debates are civilised.

So, if I don't agree and have harsh things to say about a "top level" ufc fighter then I'm not being civilized? How is that debate? Yes, I made my point a little aggressively,but so what? The guy runs around avoiding the fight, does he not? You like him, I don't like the way he fights.....so?

Do you bust everyone's chops who don't agree with you?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the one being paid, the one competing, or the one up for criticism. So, the question of what I can or can't do is irrelevant.

The competitors are up for criticism, not the spectators, in any sport.

So, if I don't agree and have harsh things to say about a "top level" ufc fighter then I'm not being civilized? How is that debate? Yes, I made my point a little aggressively,but so what? The guy runs around avoiding the fight, does he not? You like him, I don't like the way he fights.....so?

Do you bust everyone's chops who don't agree with you?

Yep.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can however have the last word ....as long as it's "yes dear" ROFLMAO

I wouldn't say I like Bisping, we have as the Americans like to say 'issues' lol! Mostly over the way he and a female fighter of his spoke to me at one of our shows but hey he's a British fighter so of course I'm gong to stand up for him when johnny foreigner starts crticising him lol!
How many times have TMA people said oh the way to win a fight is not to fight? Bisping is a TMA fighter at his core so what did you expect? A brawler or someone who uses his brains? MMA is a brain game not a stand and punch each other in the face turn about game.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can however have the last word ....as long as it's "yes dear" ROFLMAO

I wouldn't say I like Bisping, we have as the Americans like to say 'issues' lol! Mostly over the way he and a female fighter of his spoke to me at one of our shows but hey he's a British fighter so of course I'm gong to stand up for him when johnny foreigner starts crticising him lol!
How many times have TMA people said oh the way to win a fight is not to fight? Bisping is a TMA fighter at his core so what did you expect? A brawler or someone who uses his brains? MMA is a brain game not a stand and punch each other in the face turn about game.

So, what happens when both fighters decide to fight "smart" like Bisping? TMA or not, if Leben had done the same thing Bisping did, the crowd would have been unhappy, MMA would lose its appeal, and then Bisping wouldn't be getting "paid". Good thing somone stepped up and pressd the fight. Someone has to do it.

As far as Bisping caring what others think..... I remember the public appology regarding his remarks after the fight with Matt. Pretty sure he cares what the fans think. D. White is no dummy. N crowd appeal, no fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what happens when both fighters decide to fight "smart" like Bisping? TMA or not, if Leben had done the same thing Bisping did, the crowd would have been unhappy, MMA would lose its appeal, and then Bisping wouldn't be getting "paid". Good thing somone stepped up and pressd the fight. Someone has to do it.

As far as Bisping caring what others think..... I remember the public appology regarding his remarks after the fight with Matt. Pretty sure he cares what the fans think. D. White is no dummy. N crowd appeal, no fight.

We see tactical fights here every week and the crowd appreciate them emormously. We tend not to like the 'stand toe to toe bashing each other until one falls down' type of fights.
The fight was in Birningham England so Bisping's type of fighting goes down well, if Leben had followed suit it would have been more interesting not less. Leben may even have won, though he would have had the fight taken off him for taking banned substances.

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like Bisping. He was who I wanted to win TUF that season. Smart fighter, good work ethic. I think he was a bit more cautious than he really needed to be against Leben, but he did pick Leben apart. Don't think that approach is going to work against Franklin or Henderson. It should be an interesting fight, but I'm sorta expecting Bisping to get mauled against either of those guys.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
if Leben had followed suit it would have been more interesting not less. Leben may even have won,.

I fail to see how both fighters running from each other would be more interesting?

As to your comments about “technical” fighting – look to Paul Taylor and Chris Lytle… they managed to have a pretty technical exchange….without running from each other.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fail to see how both fighters running from each other would be more interesting?

As to your comments about “technical” fighting – look to Paul Taylor and Chris Lytle… they managed to have a pretty technical exchange….without running from each other.

Do you fight MMA? is your opinion based on getting into the ring/cage yourself and fighting or do you just watch?

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you fight MMA? is your opinion based on getting into the ring/cage yourself and fighting or do you just watch?

Here you go again.

I can tell when plays are messed up in football, I don't play football.

Do all the announcers in mma fight mma? I don't recall Joe Rogan fighting mma.

Same thing goes for ALL sports. You don't have to participate to give a good analysis or critique of what transpired. Otherwise, we wouldn't have much discussion here would we.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go again.

I can tell when plays are messed up in football, I don't play football.

Do all the announcers in mma fight mma? I don't recall Joe Rogan fighting mma.

Same thing goes for ALL sports. You don't have to participate to give a good analysis or critique of what transpired. Otherwise, we wouldn't have much discussion here would we.

Ah but the MMA section seems to be the only one where people feel free to criticise without actually practising the style doesn't it? People from TKD don't go on to the CMA forum telling them their stylists are rubbish, the Aikidoists don't tell the Judo players the way they fight is pants now do they but here everyone feels free to be a critic.
As for announcers on shows here where it's either on television or is videoed we have fighters commentating, that way they know what they are talking about. Lee Remedious and Ian Freeman both UFC vets are the favourite ones, they also train fighters. We don't use non fighters.
With other sports the chances are that if you are interested in them you've probably participated in then at sometime even if only at school level and there's an awful lot of armchair critics who think they can do better, we've all heard them, without actually knowing much. MMA is much better understood if you have walked the walk as it were!

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ah but the MMA section seems to be the only one where people feel free to criticise without actually practising the style doesn't it? People from TKD don't go on to the CMA forum telling them their stylists are rubbish, the Aikidoists don't tell the Judo players the way they fight is pants now do they but here everyone feels free to be a critic.

I don't know where you've been,but every art gets criticized by non-practitioners all the time. I don't know how many times I've heard kata is a waste of time by those who don't even train kata.

It's not that difficult for a martial artists who spars with any realism to say what a fighter is doing wrong or should be doing. They don't HAVE to do mma to know what they're talking about.

Latest Discussions