UFC 65 Results

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I kind of think that Hughes depends too much on the takedown, which is why GSP was able to dominate. GSP has a steller groundgame, at least as good as Matt Hughes, albiet different, and he has better standup. The reason I think he didn't go for more takedowns is because he didn't get an opening, St. Pierre didn't give him one. As good a fighter as hughes is, I think he's had his run as champ, I think its going to be a while before anybody dethrones St. Pierre. Of course we'll see in their third match, which I'm thoroughly excited for.

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lmao so...how about Matt Serra VS George St. Pierre? haha nothing against Serra because he's a great martial artist and all...really superb jiu-jitsu...but as a MMArtist not sure if he can really compete on the same level as GSP. But then again I'm probably a little biased being a huge GSP fan and all. Either way, though, I think GSP's got it, and I'll be looking forward to afterwards when we all expect to see a Hughes rematch. Should be good. And illuminating, to see the least.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
lmao so...how about Matt Serra VS George St. Pierre? haha nothing against Serra because he's a great martial artist and all...really superb jiu-jitsu...but as a MMArtist not sure if he can really compete on the same level as GSP. But then again I'm probably a little biased being a huge GSP fan and all. Either way, though, I think GSP's got it, and I'll be looking forward to afterwards when we all expect to see a Hughes rematch. Should be good. And illuminating, to see the least.

IMO,

Gotta give Serra respect for his groundgame: getting a BB in BJJ is no easy task.

But his standup needs A LOT of work. Serra looks like a wild puncher who has not yet trained himself to keep his eyes on the opponent while punching and getting punched.

Given GSPs standup ability, I think Serra will get beaten down if he tries to stand toe-to-toe with GSP.

And I reckon he better have better luck and skill than Hughes if he is going to try to force a groundfight with GSP.

I predict (fwiw, as my last prediction was completely wrong) that GSP takes Serra out in the first or second round.

And I think Hughes will be better prepared (and less overconfident!) in a rematch with GSP and take back the title.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a Serra vs. GSP fight will be interesting. I am curious to see if GSP can keep Serra from taking him down. If he can do that he should simply dominate Serra. However that is after all why we watch a fight. To see what happens.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
GSP came into that octagon with a good game plan of how to beat Hughes and it worked down to the T...it was obvious to me however that Hughes really didn't have a plan, look at Hughes face during the fight every good shot GSP was met with a sort of 'well done you got me there'' expression from Hughes a look of shock if you will almost like he wasnt taking the fight seriously, I think Hughes really underestimated that match up he proberly thought GSP was the same GSP he fought and armbared before and he was going to just walk in that octagon and get side-mount and pound his way to victory...when Hughes he's good he's very good but when he's bad he gets high kicked!lol

I'll have no talk of low blows here, they were unintentional, you can tell it was GSP's foot that kept sliding up his leg when he hit with the shin, he was never aiming with the foot.

It will be interesting to see how long GSP holds on to this title, I really don't think serra will be a match for him especially after watching the TUF final, the skill level between the TUF fighters and the the top of the food chain UFC fighters is too great, I really don't think any of them have a chance against the current champs.

As for the Tito Liddell fight I must say I think the whole thing stinks!!!
Come on how the hell has tito got a title shot already????
Who exactly has he beaten in order to deserve one???
He's had 3 fights since hes been back two of which were rematches against a fighter who was way past his prime and really should not have got into the octagon in the first place and the other was a controversial decision against a former TUF amateur.....and he gets a title shot?!?!?!?!
Come on Dana that surely doesn't sit well with the rest of the Light heavyweight division.

Saying that I will be watching the fight and as yet have not figured out who I think will win.

You guys know they paid Slyvia got paid $120,000 for that fight!!! $120,000 for that!!
(monson by the way only recieved $13,000)

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll have no talk of low blows here, they were unintentional, you can tell it was GSP's foot that kept sliding up his leg when he hit with the shin, he was never aiming with the foot.
Agreed, it was inintentional, and I'm not even convinced they hurt Hughes as badly as he acted.

It will be interesting to see how long GSP holds on to this title, I really don't think serra will be a match for him especially after watching the TUF final, the skill level between the TUF fighters and the the top of the food chain UFC fighters is too great, I really don't think any of them have a chance against the current champs.
Definitely with you there! Even the very best TUF fighters have some work to do if they want to compete at the top.

He's had 3 fights since hes been back two of which were rematches against a fighter who was way past his prime and really should not have got into the octagon in the first place and the other was a controversial decision against a former TUF amateur.....and he gets a title shot?!?!?!?!
Come on Dana that surely doesn't sit well with the rest of the Light heavyweight division.
I guess Dana doesn't care whether we know its all about selling tickets and Pay-per-view, not the best fighters. If its any consellation, I think Chuck'll probably get the win, but we'll see what Tito's got.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I have to agree with your assessment of the Hughes fight in general and the low kicks in particular.

However, I think you've forgotten that Tito held the Light Heavyweight belt. I don't think he's gonna get it back from Chuck, but this is pretty inline with the rematch-heavy way the UFC seems to book its fights.

Latest Discussions