U.S. Sweeps Women's Sabre!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
U.S. fencers sweep women's sabre

The U.S. swept the women's individual sabre fencing competition Saturday at the Olympics with Mariel Zagunis successfully defending her gold medal at the National Convention Center.

Zagunis defeated countrywoman Sada Jacobson by a 15-8 score in the gold medal match and Becca Ward made it a clean sweep for the Americans by besting Russia's Sofiya Velikaya, 15-14, in the bronze medal match.

The fencing trio picked up the first three medals for the U.S. at the Beijing Games and gave the Americans the overall medal lead after the first day of competition.

It marks the first time a country has swept the medals in an individual fencing event since Germany did it in women's foil at the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games.

Great news! Let's hope it helps build more interest in the WMAs and the sword arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, would have loved to have seen this but it wasn't shown on any of the options we have for watching! got the sailing though lol, the boats were all becalmed and going nowhere!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Very cool. I need to check out the website and see if any of the fencing is online. The judo coverage was superb! :)

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I came across it on MSNBC yesterday. It was very cool. Mariel Zagunis has very fast footwork. Also, the bronze medal match was really exciting. Congratulations to all of them!

fyn

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wish the TV coverage was better on many events.

Congrats to all 3 on thier terrific work

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
wish the TV coverage was better on many events.
Has anyone checked from YouTube-ish video? Maybe on the official Olympics web page or something?

I'd love to see the saber matches.

I missed the Judo matches entirely.

Is Kendo an exhibition sport again this year (seems like it always is)? Nice to download clips of that too.

Olypic boxing is sometimes interesting (but often boring). Depends on the fight.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And congratulations to the US Women (Cross, Smart, and Thompson) for taking a Silver in the Women's Team Foil competition and Zagunis, Jacobson, and Ward took a Bronze in the Women's Team Sabre competition.

Also, the US Men (Morehouse, Rogers, Smart, and Williams) took a Silver in the Men's Team Sabre competition.

That's 6 overall medals for the US Fencing Team (Italy won 7 medals).

fyn