Two will die in Potter 7 **SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES INCLUDED**

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I refused to read Harry Potter when the books first came out, because I thought they were "just for kids". But I picked up "Sorceror's Stone" while babysitting out of curiousity - and instantly got hooked. This was around the time the first movie was released in fall 2001. I promptly picked up the rest of the books, and read through all of them within a month. Despite the lengthiness of the books (OoTP topped off at 900+ pages), it is fairly easy reading, and the stories flow very well. Oh yeah, I read through OoTP within three days, and HBP within two - just to give you a frame of reference.
My son has the whole series, I'll have to borrow them. He also keeps telling me about a series called The Inheritance Trilogy. The first book is called Eragon. I may have to read those as well...

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
My son has the whole series, I'll have to borrow them. He also keeps telling me about a series called The Inheritance Trilogy. The first book is called Eragon. I may have to read those as well...
The Harry Potter series is just plain good story telling. these are long stories with interesting characters which lead to most people wanting more (Adults and children.) The story telling was so effective that Jealous writers of books for adults got them removed from the adult book lists to the childrens lists.

Eragon's first book is good but rather standard fantasy fare. the second is less good but My 12 year old loved it.

Jeff

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Eragon's first book is good but rather standard fantasy fare. the second is less good but My 12 year old loved it.

Jeff
Is it more children's fantasy? I'll take a look at the first book, I guess. Another series I'd like to read through is the River of the Dancing Gods. I read the first book before it was a series and loved the satiric style. Plot elements like a trucker-turned-barbarian with a magical sword named Irving just made for a fun read. And yes, before anyone comments, I have read most of Xanth and the Mything Link books. :lol:

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
1. Dumbledore is a phoenix so he will rise from his ashes.

I will actually be very disappointed if (and a very big "if") Dumbledore comes back. His death couldn't have been faked; there was no way Snape could've cheated out of an Unbreakable Vow. It has been established time and again that magic can't be fooled. I still think that Snape killing Dumbledore was premeditated - by Dumbledore himself.

Kenpodoc said:
2. Harry and Voldemort have been inextricably linked from the begining so both will die.

Yup. Not only that, Harry's death would be Rowling's only way out of the series. She has been insistent in writing no more Potter books after the seventh. Not that she needs to, now being one of the wealthiest women in Great Britain. ;)

Kenpodoc said:
3. At least one Weasley will die, probably not Ron.

Nah...I don't think Ron will die either. He and Hermione will probably wind up hooking up in the end. Too much build-up in their relationship.

If a Weasley dies, it'll probably be Molly. Or maybe one of the twins. Just my guess.

Kenpodoc said:
4. I'm sure that there will be many more deaths. I suspect haggrid also dies.

This being the *last* book, there will probably be an epic battle - with a very high body count.

My predictions: Harry, Voldemort, at least one of the Weasleys (Molly or one of the twins), Snape (or Draco - not both), Hagrid, someone from the Order of the Phoenix (Tonks, Moody, or Lupin)...and this is just for starters. We could probably count on a bittersweet ending...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If a Weasley dies, it will likely be Arthur. Think about it... Arthur is one of the characters with a link to the "human world". If he were to die, wouldn't there be possibility of more danger spilling over into the human world? That'll provide for quite a twist! The other Weasleys (besides Arthur and Ron) are not strong character roles in making a definite mark with their death.

Another thought is McGonagall. She was second in command at Hogwarts until Dumbledore's "death". She also is a major character with the Order. She plays a very pivotal role, so having her die would ramp up the danger.
- Ceicei

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Another thought is McGonagall. She was second in command at Hogwarts until Dumbledore's death. She also is a major character with the Order, so having her death will definitely heighten the danger. She plays a very pivotal role, so having her die would ramp up the danger.

- Ceicei
When I read the article, she was my first thought after one of the big 3 being killed.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I will actually be very disappointed if (and a very big "if") Dumbledore comes back. His death couldn't have been faked; there was no way Snape could've cheated out of an Unbreakable Vow. It has been established time and again that magic can't be fooled. I still think that Snape killing Dumbledore was premeditated - by Dumbledore himself.
Sorry but I'm sure you will be dissappointed. Look back at the death scene. It was premeditated by Dumbledore for sure and done in a way to ensure that a "phoenix" would survive. Voldemort returns from "death" in a bad guy manner, Dumbledore returns in a good guy fashion. The series is not really Harry vs. voldemort. It is dumbledore as the essence of evil vs dumbledore as the essence of good. Harry while generally good is the conflicted more normal human stuck in the middle.

Jeff

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From another HP thread from yet another discussion board (Kevinswatch.com)

Rowling: 'I may kill Harry Potter'|the Daily Mail wrote:

Rowling: 'I may kill off Harry Potter'
By NICOLE LAMPERT, Daily Mail

19:48pm 26th June 2006

J.K Rowling has given her strongest hint yet that she is planning to kill off the young wizard who has made her a multimillionaire.

Speaking yesterday, she suggested Harry Potter may die in the seventh and final book in the young magician's chronicles.

The writer, who has become one of Britain's richest women thanks to the popularity of the boy wizard, has also hinted that at least one other major character will die.

Miss Rowling, 40, who is putting the finishing touches on the final book, said she could understand why authors kill off their main characters to stop imitators from writing sequels without their permission.

"I've never been tempted to kill him off before the end of the book because I've always planned seven books, and I want to finish on seven books," she said in a rare interview with Richard and Judy on Channel 4.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, 'well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels' as they call them.'

"So it will end with me and after I'd dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character.

"Agatha Christie did that with Poirot didn't she? She wanted to finish him off herself."

Asked why she would not commit herself to saying exactly whether or not she was going to kill him, she added: 'I'm not going to commit myself because I don't want the hate mail!'

The author also said that the final chapter, which she wrote before even finishing the first Harry Potter book in 1990, had changed very slightly.

While one character will now get a reprieve, "two die that I didn't intend to die". Asked by Judy if it will be any of the much loved characters, she said: "A price has to be paid, we are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras do they? They go for the main characters...well I do. This is a world where some pretty nasty things can happen."

Miss Rowling was a penniless single mother when she came up with the concept of the Harry Potter books while on a train journey. She has already shown that she is not afraid of killing off her best loved characters with the death of Dumbledore, the Hogwarts head wizard and Harry's father figure in her last book.

But she admitted it as going to be 'tough' to live without Harry. "I'm going to have to learn. It's going to be tough. I admire people who go out when people still want more."

Harry Potter has made Miss Rowling into one of Britain's wealthiest women with a £650million fortune. But it has made her into a virtual recluse and she has admitted that she feels guilty about the money Harry has earned her.

"I was like a rabbit caught in the headlights," she said of her early fame. "It was weird and mind warping when I was used to counting every penny."

She gave an indication about what it was like for her family to live in Harry's shadow, saying of her eldest daughter Jessica, 13, from her first marriage: "It hasn't always been easy for her. You can imagine...your mother being J K Rowling. At one point she was up against the school railings by other children trying to get titles out of her."

But as well as her wealth she has found personal happiness with a second marriage, to doctor Andrew Murray, who she has had two more children with. Miss Rowling, whose first name is Joanne, has already indicated that once she has finished with Harry she plans to write another children's book, and she also wants to channel her energies into helping sick and disadvantaged children.

But she admits she finds it unlikely she will ever be as popular again. "I don't think I'm going to get another Harry again, it only happens once."

Now think ye upon this... Rowling is a very smart lady. I call this a red herring because it fuels the buzz on the seventh book. So everything is now just speculations and theoretical rhetoric. The woman is worth billions now and even more so. Richer than the queen they say. Hell, if she was ambitious enough she could vie for the crown herself couldn't she? Heh :D
But either way... book seven is going to be yet another international best seller (even without all the hype now attached to it).
Hmm, mebbe I ought to start writing a book about a group of kids who study various styles fighting an evil with martial arts ... (of course... in a cave now-and -then :uhyeah: ). I can get you guys to help... :D

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Dumbledore has more in common with his pheonix than anyone realizes- he died for sure, but ...

Harry isn't going to die

Snape isn't THAT much of a bad guy

Blacks brother never died - he's the guy who stole the locket from the cave.

There will be lots of deaths in the next book.

These are all just guesses of mine - feel free to ignore them.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Sorry but I'm sure you will be dissappointed. Look back at the death scene. It was premeditated by Dumbledore for sure and done in a way to ensure that a "phoenix" would survive. Voldemort returns from "death" in a bad guy manner, Dumbledore returns in a good guy fashion. The series is not really Harry vs. voldemort. It is dumbledore as the essence of evil vs dumbledore as the essence of good. Harry while generally good is the conflicted more normal human stuck in the middle.

Eh...still not convinced. Dumbledore's portrait appeared in the Headmaster's office; that wouldn't have happened if he was still alive. Also remember that the petrify spell he put on Harry immediately wore off after he died.

The only reason why Voldemort survived was because of his Horcruxes. I strongly doubt that someone like Dumbledore would go *that* route to ensure his survival.

If Dumbledore appears in any form in book seven, it'll most likely be in some kind of "spirit" form. I'm pretty sure his presence will continue to be felt in some way, shape or form - even though he *did* die.

Edited to add: Ceicei, I guessed that Molly would die - not because of her overall "significance" in the books, but because of her protective nature. I could see her dying to save someone in her family.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
If Dumbledore appears in any form in book seven, it'll most likely be in some kind of "spirit" form. I'm pretty sure his presence will continue to be felt in some way, shape or form - even though he *did* die.

Well even if he did that... Harry could very well (sneak in) the head-master's office and speak with Dumbledore via his portrait. If I'm not mistaken that is how previous headmasters (including Dumbledore himself) was able to get help in running the school. Priors were honor-bound to help out the present head-masters via their portraits on the walls of the office.

The seventh book might be hefty as Harry still has to find the remaining horcruxes and if Rowling is as detailed on this search as she's consistently been with the whole of the story line then it'll take Harry a bit to seek them out, otherwise destroying Voldemort won't be that easy.

Someone told me today I'm taking the whole thing too seriously... am I??

Latest Discussions