TUF 10 Finale interview: Mitrione on his many battles on the show

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-04-2009 01:50 PM:

He got the label of "Meathead" in the early weeks of season ten of "The Ultimate Fighter" so Matt Mitrione became one of the single biggest focuses of the Spike show. In the final two episodes on Wednesday night, he lost badly to James McSweeney and then had Marcus Jones attack him at The UFC Training Center while suffering a near nervous breakdown. It was all a learning experience for the former Purdue defensive lineman and four-year NFL veteran. He's put most of it behind him except the incessant bickering with coach Rashad Evans. Evans, a former UFC light heavyweight champ, often questioned Mitrione's toughness and intelligence.

"What he says has zero relevance towards me. I couldn't care less about him, McSweeney or anyone else who was bumping their gums about me and my toughness, they can go to hell."

During a confessional on the show, Evans said he would fight Mitrione. Meathead told Cagewriter he would do that fight at 225 pounds.

"We'll throwdown," said the 6-foot-4 Mitrione, who expects to weigh-in around 250 pounds for his fight against Marcus Jones tomorrow night in Las Vegas. "We'll see who's really that tough. I'll take any piece of Rashad that he wants to throw around."

Mitrione explained that he couldn't understand why people were smothering him when he was heated and angry on the show. They could've easily backed off and let the situation cool down. Sort of what he did when we Jones flipped out after Scott Junk delivered the news that he may never fight again. Mitrione just stood there with his head turned as Jones got right in his face screaming, "hit me [expletive]." Mitrione said there was no need to throw punches, get banned from the UFC or fight for zero dollars.

That altercation has created a lot of heat going into the fight tomorrow night. Jones explained during a UFC.com video (0:26 mark) that he thought Mitrione was gutless for talking trash behind his back during and after the taping of the show.

Mitrione admitted that he sent those texts to someone simply explaining that Jones didn't have a chin and didn't like to be punched in the face.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions