TSA Fires 28

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44557230/ns/travel/

HONOLULU — Dozens of employees at Honolulu's airport were fired or suspended after an investigation found workers did not screen checked bags for explosives, the Transportation Security Administration said Friday.

The firings and suspensions amounted to the single largest personnel action for misconduct in the federal agency's history. It said in a statement that 28 workers were "removed," 15 suspended, and three resigned or retired. The cases of two other employees were still being decided.
The agency began an investigation at the end of last year after two Honolulu employees told officials that thousands of bags weren't checked properly or screened for traces of explosives.

Well, once again, we see an example of people not being able to do a quality job. If money needs to be saved, perhaps disbanding the TSA would be a good start. That, and then hire someone who will actually do the job.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
+1! I've recommended the Coast Guard for years for this position. They call them 'airports' for a reason. The Coast Guard is well-trained, professional, under military discipline, and has a great law enforcement reputation and contacts around the world. They'd have to expand, but I think they'd do a great job.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm more concerned by the lack of screening on cargo. You know, the cargo that freight forwarders and shippers handle. August 2010 freight forwarders sending cargo via passenger planes have to follow a proper screening process in the US. But cargo planes are currently exempt. That's a lot of cargo flowing through airports (targets) with only voluntary security screening. Most countries are ignoring screening cargo. The amount of passengers and employees in airports, I'm annoyed it hasn't been dealt with already.

http://www.aircargoworld.com/Air-Ca...allenges-arise-at-screening-anniversary/01923

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TSA is mandated by Congress to screen 100% of cargo. They have yet to do so, and complain that it's too hard. In a day when you as a passenger are bombarded with radiation, rubbed down, molested, limited to little 3oz bottles, can't even bring a soda with you, yet they still fail to spot bowie knives, 12" razors and loaded glocks in carry on bags that are even more heavily screened, why can't they scan every bag placed on the plane? It passes through at least 3 sets of hands prior to being stacked on the plane.

The TSA is a farse, a waste of tax payer money and the illusion of security. They can't do their core job, they can't do their jobs honestly. Enough is enough already.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm more concerned by the lack of screening on cargo. You know, the cargo that freight forwarders and shippers handle. August 2010 freight forwarders sending cargo via passenger planes have to follow a proper screening process in the US. But cargo planes are currently exempt. That's a lot of cargo flowing through airports (targets) with only voluntary security screening. Most countries are ignoring screening cargo. The amount of passengers and employees in airports, I'm annoyed it hasn't been dealt with already.

http://www.aircargoworld.com/Air-Ca...allenges-arise-at-screening-anniversary/01923

Yeah, and that 'self-certification' doesn't really impress me. The shipper basically promises that they followed TSA security directives. Like a terrorist isn't going to lie on the form. Duh.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wasn't there just another report of many TSA checkers being fired as they had been found to be accepting bribes to let certain bags through. You know, the ones that contained drugs?

At least someone seems to be checking the checkers.

That said, they have a thankless job, and a boring job. Screeners don't like to be yelled at, cursed, or made fun of any more than anyone else. They look at luggage all day long, most of which is boringly OK. They should not, but being human, they may stop looking so closely after a while. That is both a training issue, and an issue of pride of doing your job correctly. That can be delt with.

Those who intentionally stop checking, or intentionally accept bribes to pass illegal items, need an introduction to the court system.

Latest Discussions