Trying to buy a gi

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I need a new gi top for Kenpo. My gi pants are fine. Anyone know of anyplace that sells quality gi tops separate from the whole package?

Thanks

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Century & Bold Look are two of the few companies that sell uniforms as separates.

OP
K

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I usually like the K1 International (Heavy weight brushed cotton) Gi, but I don't need to buy pants, so I thought, why spend the extra 20-30 bucks??

Thanks for the tips.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are use to buying KI uniforms then I believe you need to get the next size up in Century. I was told this by the owner of a MA supply store when I grew out of my one size gi so I kept insisting on a next size up KI gi and it looked like a tent on me. I couldn't understand why. When I mentioned I was replacing another brand gi (I think it was REI) I was told the difference in sizing.

Just yesterday at home I found a pair of Century pants that I don't even remember buying that are the same size (numerically) as my KI pants and I couldn't even get them up my legs. Just a thought.

Mark

OP
K

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good point about the size differences. I hate having a Gi that is too big.... It doesn't make that "snap" sound when I let my Fists of Fury unleash! :)

I don't want to buy an expensive Gi, because I hate wearing them, but my current instructor is a bit more "traditional" than my last, and out of respect for his request, I need something decent to show up in.

Looks like these are my options for a Gi top sold separately;

Tiger Claw "Hayashi" 14oz cotton Gi

https://www.themartialartsstore.com...=TC-11-21T&Category_Code=HEAV&Product_Count=1

Century 10oz brushed cotton Gi

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/U...weight_Brushed_Cotton_Traditional_Jacket.aspx

ANy experience with either?

Latest Discussions