trouble with keiza

madeku

White Belt
Reaction score
Been in Aikido since about may.. and about a year or so ago i trained for a few months as well.. twice a week.. i would train more if i wasn't married, lol.

I'm just wondering, do most people have trouble being on live toes like for keiza posture? my toes just don't want to bend back that far. i can do it, but i'm certainly not mobile enough to do suwari waza or shikko for more than a few minutes... then i have to essentially get up, squat, bend forward and kneel to get back into position.. iv seen several people be able to essentially sit on their heels in keiza where i feel i'm stuck just hovering and putting more stress on my toes or knees. is it something that can sometimes be resolved with static stretching outside of class?

Satori

White Belt
Reaction score
Keiza and seiza were agonizing for me when I first started. It just takes time and repition I think. After about a half year of doing it daily I finally felt comfortable doing it. However even to this day I can only do either for about 5minutes before I'm stiff in the knees, toes, and ankles. Patience and persaverance is the key I think...

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting the flexibility in all of your joints and getting used to the pressure on your knees, ankles, etc just takes time. I would recommend just start by doing sieza for a couple of minutes every day. Over time it will get easier.

Enjoy the journey.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can sit in seiza for about 10 minutes before I need to change, kieza I can only do for about 20 seconds as my toes are not very strong. Still I think imporvement will come the more you suffer through it.

Latest Discussions