Tritium on a knife?

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, on a whim, I've been looking for an out-the-front automatic knife (OTF) with a tanto-style blade, as OTF knives are sexy and I love a Japanese-style blade. In my search, I came across the this offering from Hogue. For those who don't click the link, it's a fairly standard OTF knife, but with a tritium insert on the trigger. Hogue claims that the insert helps with orientation and location of the knife.

So, to me, if you need help figuring out the orientation of an OTF knife by anything other than feel, you have no right to operate such a knife. As for locating it, I can see the insert being handy if you drop it in low-light conditions. With that being said, I also see it being a detriment to use in tactical situations, as it makes the knife easier to see in darkness.

Thoughts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That being a clever name for glow in the dark?

I have one knife where the whole handle glows. Otherwise I have not needed sights on a knife.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, on a whim, I've been looking for an out-the-front automatic knife (OTF) with a tanto-style blade, as OTF knives are sexy and I love a Japanese-style blade. In my search, I came across the this offering from Hogue. For those who don't click the link, it's a fairly standard OTF knife, but with a tritium insert on the trigger. Hogue claims that the insert helps with orientation and location of the knife.

So, to me, if you need help figuring out the orientation of an OTF knife by anything other than feel, you have no right to operate such a knife. As for locating it, I can see the insert being handy if you drop it in low-light conditions. With that being said, I also see it being a detriment to use in tactical situations, as it makes the knife easier to see in darkness.

Thoughts?
wont your hand cover it up?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

So in your mind, people with certain neurological conditions have "no right" to use a particular knife?

OP
Oni_Kadaki

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
So in your mind, people with certain neurological conditions have "no right" to use a particular knife?

I stand corrected... as I was. Let me caveat my previous statement that if you have no extenuating medical circumstances, if you can't figure out which end of the knife is the pointy end based on the trigger's location, you should not be using said knife.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected... as I was. Let me caveat my previous statement that if you have no extenuating medical circumstances, if you can't figure out which end of the knife is the pointy end based on the trigger's location, you should not be using said knife.
It's cute that you think you should get to decide what knife someone else uses. Regardless of their reasons.

OP
Oni_Kadaki

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's cute that you think you should get to decide what knife someone else uses. Regardless of their reasons.

Ok, clearly my joke and oversimplification of my very real belief that you should have a basic understanding of how a tool works before using it is rubbing you the wrong way. We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Latest Discussions