Treating Martial Arts injuries

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As luck would have it, I just got a book in the mail that came with some other books I wanted: "The Bare Essentials Guide for Martial Arts Injury Care and Prevention" by Trish Bare Grounds, MS, ATC/L. She is or was apparently the USTU Medical Coordinator for the US National Taekwondo Team Head Athletic Trainer (whew, what a mouthful!). Anyway, it seems like an interesting book on the subject. I'm sure available used.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As luck would have it, I just got a book in the mail that came with some other books I wanted: "The Bare Essentials Guide for Martial Arts Injury Care and Prevention" by Trish Bare Grounds, MS, ATC/L. She is or was apparently the USTU Medical Coordinator for the US National Taekwondo Team Head Athletic Trainer (whew, what a mouthful!). Anyway, it seems like an interesting book on the subject. I'm sure available used.
Bill is that a reader, or a kind of feild guide type thing? I'm looking for something to throw in the gear bag along with the first aid kit.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill is that a reader, or a kind of feild guide type thing? I'm looking for something to throw in the gear bag along with the first aid kit.

Looks like a bit of both. Chapters:

Part One:
Injury Prevention
Strength and Conditioning
Eating to Compete

Part Two:

Taping Technique
Care of Injuries
Common Conditions

Part Three (for instructors):
Injury Care Programs
Sports Medicine Teams

Part Two looks like what you'd call a field guide. How to treat quickly, for toe, arch, blisters, ankle, knee, low back, dehydration, head and face, concussion and facial injuries (twice for some reason).

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky I don't need the book, I get Rosi's personal attention lol, her practice is just over an hour away from me. Her fitness though puts me to shame, still it's the old and unfit like me that keep her in business! Hopefully she'll be fighting in America again soon, for club injuries though our chief instructor is an ex army medic so we are covered.
268953_10150316564969136_563289135_9551729_2619589_s.jpg

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm lucky I don't need the book, I get Rosi's personal attention lol, her practice is just over an hour away from me. Her fitness though puts me to shame, still it's the old and unfit like me that keep her in business! Hopefully she'll be fighting in America again soon, for club injuries though our chief instructor is an ex army medic so we are covered.
268953_10150316564969136_563289135_9551729_2619589_s.jpg
Nice. I train with an RN and a retired nurse practioner. but they go on vacation ocasionally. And I can never get a hold of my sister or neice (both nurses) so I like being a little prepared :)

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I have this book and like it a lot. The bits about caring for and wrapping injured joints have been very useful to me when I have injured myself in my own training. I highly recommend it.

-Rob

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rosi writes for 'Fighter's Only' magazine as well both on health issues and training.

Latest Discussions