Training while injured

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
In martial arts in general, and Taekwondo in particular, we are taught (and teach others) to have "perseverance" and "indomitable spirit." This means we may come to class when we are less than 100% physically.

Where do you personally draw the line to decide to not go to train? Does your dojang have a policy?

As for myself, I teach and train when I can do so safely (i.e. I'm not going to spread any disease or injure something more severely). I have trained through breaks, sprains, and strains with the idea that these injuries are part of the price of living and training (not that I've always accepted them quite so patiently).

As an instructor, I ask folks to tell me if they are injured or ill. I want them to try to train if they can or call me before class if they can't train.

Miles

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For students, I let everyone know to tell me what ever injurys they have before class. If they don't, then I will assume they are ok and will expect them to go 100%. I find that if I tell them that, more people own up to being hurt.

Personally, if I am seriously contagious with something, I will not teach or train in class. If it is a physical injury or something, then I will push myself. I find that no matter how much I hurt, if I am in class teaching or training it hurts less because I am focused on doing something.

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree that openess is important and I always tell the instructor if I am not 100%. If you are injured and can't kick for example you have two options. Dont train until you heal or train but focus on other areas of TKD such as one-step or hand techniues/blocks.

Assuming you are not incapacitated there is always something to learn. The point is not to try anything that would involve the injury as it may impede the healing process.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train when I'm injured. I've had many injuries over my limited 5 years in MA. But I worked through it. I had to modify some of my training for few weeks/months, but it gave me a chance to work on other stuff.

When I am injured, I tell the instructor. He usually keeps me from sparring and/or hard contact drills. With my recent injury (hand), I can do forms, one steps, kicking, line drills (kicking and punching in the air down the floor), some of the self defense stuff, ect.

I don't train when I'm sick, though. If I'm feeling better, but not 100% yet, I may try to go to class. But I would take it easy.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember a stern little lecture from our master some years ago...the gist being that don't come to class if you are sore, injured, sick or can't give 100%. Inwardly, I go, yeah right...I would seldom come to class. I was a blue belt then and always sore, injured or coming out of a cold. Since then, that viewpoint of the master has changed. Probably because we went anyway when we could. I continued to tell him when I was injured whether he liked it or not.

I don't go when I am contagious, not feeling well, coughing, sneezing, or dribbling. I tell students to do the same. I don't work a hamstring that has been injured into a worse injury. Sometimes, I get inner ear fluid, a result of a cold that affects balance. I tell him I can't spin that day. Or, it might be a pulled shoulder muscle and I can't do pushups.

If black belts tell the instructor their problems, then lower belts won't feel they have to suck it up and possibly get injured further or in the case of the inner ear malady, look hopelessly out of control.

I can't jump very much, not that I can't or don't want to, its just not good for me, so I alter my own workout after an order to jump. So, ultimately, its up to the student to look out for him/herself. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are required to inform the instructor if we have an injury.

Personally, it depends on what the training will do to the injury. If I can train but it will cause discomfort, so what. I will train even if injured as long as I can still do some things without agitating the injury.i.e. broken bone in the hand/foot, jammed finger/toe, pulled muscle, etc. Hell, at 47, there's always something wrong with me. If I find I can't train without causing the injury further damage as when I had 2 herniated disks or when I tore my abdomen, I'll stop until I've healed enough to resume. Training injured is pretty common in MA's as with most other physical activities. Training that causes damage to worsen makes no sense to me.

I will train while I'm sick but not while I'm contagious. No one appreciates that.

Regards,

A

ave_turuta

Hello!

We are expected to tell the instructor if there is something wrong with us (whether it is an injury or an illness), so s/he can make the necessary planning for the class ahead. I never go to class if I have something contagious like a cold or something. But I suffer from allergies so my nose sometimes is running and I need plenty of water during class, but I don´t let it get to me. Sometimes I am injured (something hurts frequently, not always in the same spot) but I go to class and do whatever it is I can do. If I know a particular exercise is going to hurt, then I either modify it, do it just with one leg, or as a last resort not do it. I think this is acceptable if you tell your instructor beforehand or even if you hurt yourself during class.

Cheers,
AT

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Only if training will not further iritate the injury to the point where it is preventing the healing process.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well im a tad odd, i train when very injured, about a year ago i was going to class with both hamstrings pulled and neck injured, and now, i have a messed up shoulder, it's dislocating, the *belo and out back* side of the shoulders ligiments are not holding it in, so it can ber dislocated, but im still going, im not sure where i cut the line, when i cant walk i gues lol.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn said:
well im a tad odd, i train when very injured, about a year ago i was going to class with both hamstrings pulled and neck injured, and now, i have a messed up shoulder, it's dislocating, the *belo and out back* side of the shoulders ligiments are not holding it in, so it can ber dislocated, but im still going, im not sure where i cut the line, when i cant walk i gues lol.

I think the point that most have made is that going with injuries makes them worse and they will not get better stressing them. It might be a good idea to go see a doc and see what is really going on. If I were you I would rest your shoulder and hamstrings, ie not punch, do pushups or high kicks until they are mended. You are young and have a long life to use them, my advice is not to abuse them. Take it easier! TW

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed with TW...training when stuff is really damaged will just make it worse. I still train when I'm a bit sore or even injured, but I focus on other things. Sore wrist means I don't punch with that wrist, bad hips means I work my fists more, etc...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I think the point that most have made is that going with injuries makes them worse and they will not get better stressing them. It might be a good idea to go see a doc and see what is really going on. If I were you I would rest your shoulder and hamstrings, ie not punch, do pushups or high kicks until they are mended. You are young and have a long life to use them, my advice is not to abuse them. Take it easier! TW
What TW says is so true. You have to take care of your body when you are young so that it can be there for you as you age. You only get one body and there really isn't an "island" of spare parts to collect from ;). Injuries that are serious, and some that are not but they are not given a chance to heal become chronic and at that point they are very hard to get rid of. Take care of your body now and it will thank you for the rest of its life.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes to that. Additionally, seemingly minor injuries can creep up on you all at once and develop into major ones if you just keep griding away at them. Hamsting's tight? No big deal? Sure, right up until it gives out one night and you're looking at 6+ months of rehab. Fun stuff can happen when you let the things go. Doesn't matter what age you are. Not just 20 years down the line, but next week. Nothing more awesome than watching someone's calf muscle roll up like a window shade 'cause their achilles just went pop. 'course all the screaming kinda sucks...

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
problem is my shoulder is dislocating so it doesn't matter it WILL come out, and plus i cant stop my training now, i have alot of guys wanting to fight me and incase i have to fight i wanna be in top conditioning, my ex girlfriend i broke up with her, and her new bf is trying to jump me, i also have a black kid on my block, he saw me running with weighrs on and he said he could beat me.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Uh, that's not how dislocations typically work. See a doc you goof.

Either way, I can't see how working an arm OUT OF ITS SOCKET helps you stay in top shape, even if there is a guy who hates your ankle weights.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I taught Tae Kwon Do, I made it a policy that any injuries that could hamper one's ability to train should be known to me. If someone were injured, and still wanted to train, I could usually find an alternate exercise that wouldn't jeopardize their recovery. For example, if someone had strained a hip flexor and couldn't kick above the waist, then I would work with that limitation. While it may not be quite as thorough as the usual drill, at least it's better than their not training at all.

If someone were superficially injured, though, such as a blister, or something similarly non-critical, I'd simply break out the bottle of NuSkin, and put two coats on the blistered area, and tell them to wait 10 minutes, and get back on the floor and train.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We tell students that they are their own "Body Boss" - we expect to know if someone is injured and what the injury is and make recommendation based on that. I don't go to class with the stomach flu or some other contagious thing.

I think if a student has a mild injury, it's important to develop skills to work around the injury for self-defense purposes; e.g. if a bad guy sees you walking with your arm in a sling and you're alone you might be targeted for mugging. We can't toss our training out the window but we can't worsen our injury either.

If you can SAFELY TRAIN with an injury without worsening it or impeding the healing process, I think modification of training is the way to go.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! This topic is little sensitive to me as I've been nursing a sore elbow for the past 8 weeks.

I thought I had slowed down enough to allow for healing, and actually saw a doctor last week. I found out I can stop punching/blocking, swinging an escrima stick, carrying a briefcase, and lifting weights, but if I continue typing all day I won't get better. :p

Miles

Latest Discussions