Training IRAS

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, This is kind of more towards my fellow Leung Ting lineage folk, but I'm sure you others can certainly add some good insight as well!
I have been training my adduction stance a lot, I have 2 upcoming seminars, one with Micheal Casey, the other With Emin Boztepe. So yeah, I've been squeezing as hard as I can, for as long as I can, and it's making me feel quite sick to my stomach when I finish. I know diet is probably one of the bigger reasons at the moment, but if anybody has any ideas how I can increase the duration of my exercise or get the most out of it, please do share.
I went for just 10 mns with my legs shaking the whole time. (once they started to)
Felt close to vomiting afterwards, I intend on doing this at least twice daily.. I will have to hold IRAS for hours most likely at my seminars.. thanks for your time!

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what IRAS is??

Is it our WC training stance? The goat gripping one?

What the master here got me to do (unsure if it was punishment or not as no one else was doing it) is go into stance and he put a boxing glove between my knees to make sure my knees were close enough in and made me hold a pole (normal pole NOT a WC long pole thank god) a third of the way across, horizontally across in front of me with one hand whilst the other one was in a fist in the normal spot high up on my side.

Could change over pole every minute.

It certainly hurt.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, IRAS is the goat riding stance in my lineage. And yes, it absolutely hurts, I've tried to read while I Do it, but that is not really distracting enough, I Suppose I'm constantly making sure my stance is as perfect as I Can get it, so if anything I need to go back and re-read.
Thanks for your replys, both here and in your own thread! keep up the good work mate!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
IRAS is an acronym, I believe coined by the German WT schools....
stands for Internally Rotated Adduction Stance

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
To practice your stance, I would recommend doing the forms....SNT over and over without coming up out of the stance. Also, practice SNT one legged...it will help your character 2 more than you may think.
CK, every time you get to a new stance in the form, hold it for at least a minute. You practice CK this way and it takes something like 45 minutes....your legs will hate you.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Beautiful Idea about the CK, I will give that a shot, thanks for the good ideas!