Training for tournament sparring - heavyweight

S

shawn313

Hello everyone,

I am a pretty new student to WTF Taekwondo, and would eventually like to compete in tournaments by sparring. I am pretty sure I would always be in a heavyweight weight class, because I am 6'4, and to be under 185 I think would be too thin for my frame. With that in mind, I think there is a pretty good chance I will still be outweighed by a lot of people I would come up against. Now if I am fighting in this weight class, what would be the smartest way for me to train? Is it better to concentrate on calisthenics so my endurance is higher than others, work on my speed more, or get to the gym and lift weights to make sure I have as much power as others in my weight class?

Thanks!
Shawn Robinson

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a side question, what are the weight breakouts? The few tournaments I've been in there have not been enough colored-belt men to breakout into weight divisions so I've just sparred whomever was there. I'm 36yo, 5'11" and about 180lbs

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How old are you? This will help guide me on how much rest you need to grow and get stronger.

The first thing you 'll need to work on is TKD technique and foot work.

In general though, a good basic conditioniong program begins with your own weight. Hence, calesthentics. A good base would be the ability to do these execersies in one session 100 calf rasises, 100 crunches, 25 twist crunches each side, 100 squats, 100 push ups, 5 pull ups, 10 ladders(suicides 10,20,30,40) and a mile continuous run. Basic conditioning phase can take 0-12 weeks depending on your physical condition and limitations.

After this you'll be ready for phase II actual work on speed, strength, power and endurance. This is where you'll need to make decisions on what you want first? Personally this is where I put my emphasis on technique and repitition and did 2 classes per day 5-6 days per week. Once you get ready for phase II post again.

OP
S

shawn313

The one Virginia state tournament I have information for broke the weight classes up like this:

Fin - under 118.8lbs for men and under 103.4lbs for women
Fly - 118.8-127.6lbs for men and 103.4-112.2lbs for women
Bantam - 127.6-136.4lbs for men and 112.2-121.0lbs for women
Feather - 136.4-147.4lbs for men and 121.0-129.8lbs for women
Light - 147.4-158.4lbs for men and 129.8-138.6lbs for women
Welter - 158.4-171.6lbs for men and 138.6-147.4lbs for women
Middle - 171.6-184.8lbs for men and 147.4-158.4lbs for women
Heavy - over 184.8lbs for men and over 158.4lbs for women

But you are right, these appear to be weight classes for black belts - would they really put someone in the Fin class against someone in the Heavy class for color belts?

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
As a side question, what are the weight breakouts? The few tournaments I've been in there have not been enough colored-belt men to breakout into weight divisions so I've just sparred whomever was there. I'm 36 yr, 5'11" and about 180lbs
Depends on the tournament, most tournaments follow the USA Taekwondo weight breakdowns and allow combining of brackets for competition ( so you'll get a fight). See USTU.com website and look at the Jr.National application for 6-17 and the Senior National application for 18 and over. The rules book will also have a copy of the current WTF weight classifications only for 18-32 Black Belts.

OP
S

shawn313

I am 28 years old - I will try the exercises you posted. I do not think I can complete all of them in one continuous session yet, so I think that gives me enough to work on for a while. Is power important enough in my weight class to worry about going to a gym and lifting weights, or would strength exercises using my own bodyweight develop enough power?

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
shawn313 said:
I am 28 years old - I will try the exercises you posted. I do not think I can complete all of them in one continuous session yet, so I think that gives me enough to work on for a while. Is power important enough in my weight class to worry about going to a gym and lifting weights, or would strength exercises using my own bodyweight develop enough power?
My personal preference is to develope power through proper body mechanics. Once you can deliver techniques with the proper body mechanics, you will be able to define what you need to work on. Everybody in this division has power, footwork and speed is what seperates the MEN in this division.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Though I have very little experience in WTF TKD competition, it is full contact so I would recommend bulking up. Not so much for more power, but because you are going to be hit full force and I believe you guys get awarded points for blows that "jar" or "move" you (or something to that effect.) The more of you there is (muscle is preferable :p ), the more force and energy is needed to make you move.

I don't care how good an opponent's technique is or how hard he hits, I would rather be kicking at someone who is 185lbs than 200lbs.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shawn313 addressing some of the statements from Shu2Jack not in any order.

1) My tradition is that white belt students don't start out in sparring.

2) Better to not be a target by getting out of the way(Footwork).

3) With begining students I have generally found that learning the kicking techniques with less body weight is easier than vice versa.

4) At age 28 to add 15 pounds of muscle will require serious attention to your diet and excercise generally a 1 to 2 year endeavor.

5) (Shu2Jack) Abrupt displacement is what you are looking for when you hit some one, the hit that causes a change in direction or an acceleration of the opponent in the the direction of the hit. This is generally due to proper technique coinciding with proper timing.

6) More than likely you'll be a headhunter instead of a power player so speed, footwork and timing will be your keys.

7) Yes, and it probably won't hurt you to gain 10 pounds through the year even if it's 7 pounds of fat, to 3 pounds of muscle you will get hit. Even though most of your opponents will be classmates that are smaller than you all hits will add up.

8) At 185 you may want to get in the middle weight division, it truly depends on where you feel comfortable.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ohhhh, I get it now. I got mixed up with the wording of the beginning of the post.

2) Better to not be a target by getting out of the way(Footwork).
Very true. It is also very true that you WILL get hit in a match. No way around it. As long as the muscle is not slowing you down, putting on some weight won't hurt.

3) With begining students I have generally found that learning the kicking techniques with less body weight is easier than vice versa.
I think it depends more on if their weight matches their build. (I.E. you have an extra 50 lbs in fat.) I am 6'0 180lbs and I think putting on another 10 lbs wouldn't effect me to much in learning new kicks. I just have a more solid build and bone structure.

4) At age 28 to add 15 pounds of muscle will require serious attention to your diet and excercise generally a 1 to 2 year endeavor.
If he wishes to pursue TKD as a long-term thing (TKD is a way of life for many), then 1 or 2 years is a dip in the pond. He doesn't need to put on 15 lbs, but you are serious about competition or self-defense then slowly putting on "functional" weight might be a good idea.

5) (Shu2Jack) Abrupt displacement is what you are looking for when you hit some one, the hit that causes a change in direction or an acceleration of the opponent in the the direction of the hit. This is generally due to proper technique coinciding with proper timing.
Agreed. I think it was Ali that said he would rather punch down an entire match than punch upwards. My argument is that I would rather be beating on someone who weighs less because it requires less effort to produce the same result (knock you on your butt.)

6) More than likely you'll be a headhunter instead of a power player so speed, footwork and timing will be your keys.
I don't know what he will be. I am a "power player", so I based it off what I know.

8) At 185 you may want to get in the middle weight division, it truly depends on where you feel comfortable.
Agreed. Better to be on the upper end of a division, then on the lower end of another.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack,
Sorry, for the confusion.

Shawn313,
Food for thought, for all out competition I'd try to stay at the middle weight division.
Point 1 - Most of the best players are around 225lbs, 6'-0 to 6'-6". These guys hit hard and you don't have a physical advantage (height).

Point 2 - Ultra competition will allow for a few extra pounds so, that you'd still be in middle weight division.

Point 3 - Most important point, it still comes down to what you feel most comfortable at.

Latest Discussions