Training different styles every other month.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings. I used to train at a school that was a combination of JKD, Muay Thai, and FMA. Since then I have moved, and finding something similar is hopeless. Sooooooo, after I moved, I found two different guys teaching out of their garages, one doing JKD, and the other MMA. However, both of them have since had to stop training for different reasons. So I am once again on the hunt. I have several challenges (as we all do Im sure) as far as my schedule and living somewhat in the sticks. I've pondered many different styles, and this is what Im leaning towards:

There is a Muay Thai gym I could make it to after work, and a guy teaching Escrima in his garage fairly close to where I live. They are both reasonable in cost, and neither one requires a long term contract. So I was thinking of doing one month Muay Thai, one month Escrima, and going back and forth. I have an interest in both of these styles. I have a heavy bag and a double end bag in my garage so the "Escrima months" I could still do some MT. I do have a little experience in each so Im not (totally) green, but obviously see the potential downsides as well.

Has anyone attempted this or anything like it? Thoughts?

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Goodness, that seems terribly ambitious! I reckon it's hard enough training two different arts at once without switching about. :erg: Have you talked to the instructors at both of these schools about yr plan? I don't know any teacher who would be happy about a student who only showed up every other month... for one thing, it would play hell with their curriculum. I can understand that you might want to keep the cost of training down, but if it were me i'd hang the expense and attend both classes, assuming that their times don't clash with one another. Either that, or maybe supplement yr plan with a private lesson or two per month for the art you aren't taking classes in?

Good luck with it... i can understand the struggle of finding time to attend training when you live out of town!
icon7.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best of luck to you...I know that I couldn't do it..Talk about confusing..Me, I'd put a good solid year in at one before moving to another...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you have bigger cars than us but you must also have much bigger garages! Are they legitimate ways of training?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you have bigger cars than us but you must also have much bigger garages! Are they legitimate ways of training?

Yah in the States is fairly common for someone to run a school out of there garage/basement. Odds are, they are legit. There aren't too many folks who would do that for the cash. Most of the guys who are money hungry train out of some big school so they can cram more students in. Or are consently buying bigger houses.

To answer the question. Well, what I would do is check out both schools, and get the input of the instructors. I would probably end up going with the Escrima school, and probably not do Muay Thai. Maybe after a year or so of good hard training in Escrima. But not both at once. Even with past expreince, it will be hard to train in two seperate arts from the beginning.
Good Luck and keep us informed!

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score

My goju-ryu karate sensei teaches me and the other two students he has in his backyard. He charges us nothing for tuition and gives freely of his time and knowledge. Not everyone is interested in making money, and learning opportunities such as these are often excellent, since the teacher can maintain high standards without the pressure of keeping enough students to pay the rent on a commercial studio.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score

Sure, why not. Neither of them ever charged a cent. Both just wanted people that would show up and train had when it's 110 degrees outside.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the input. I think I will most likely run it by both instructors, then re-evaluate.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
My goju-ryu karate sensei teaches me and the other two students he has in his backyard. He charges us nothing for tuition and gives freely of his time and knowledge. Not everyone is interested in making money, and learning opportunities such as these are often excellent, since the teacher can maintain high standards without the pressure of keeping enough students to pay the rent on a commercial studio.

Similar note. On that history channel special featuring Okinawan karate - I noticed the Ueichi-Ryu instructor taught at an old castle, which is probably owned by Okinawan govt. (just like Shuri-jo castle). He probably doesn't have his own school either (houses and land are super expensive on Okinawa), and just has an agreement to train a few days per week at that nice, outdoor spot near the old castle.

So, it is not always the place that indicates the quality of the training. Many people have to teach at locations besides a private facility.

R. McLain

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
As it turns out the MT school is out due to location, so I am on the hunt.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to throw something else out there in reagrds to my original topic, but with a different angle. One of the people I used to do JKD with contacted me and wants to get together to train. The problem is, he can only train once a week. So I was thinking once a week with him, once a week FMA. So as opposed to a different style every other month, it would be each style 1 time a week. Has anyone else done this? I do have some expereince with both styles, so Im not totally green. My alternatives at present are:

1; A year long contract at an MMA school.
2; A year long contract at more of a traditional karate school.

I am considering number 1, but really dont like long contracts.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stick with what you've got. If there is a contract, assume the worst. I could tell you some stories about a martial arts contract-er who lives by me, that would trun your hair white.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe in cross training; I train concurrently in Tai Chi and jujutsu, and I've also trained concurrently in capoeira and kenpo. But I think the "alternating month" idea is really not optimal. It usually takes some time and repetition to get good at anything, and by alternating, you're not going to be giving yourself a chance to get really good at anything. Plus, which art are you going to practice at home between classes? I'd suggest an extended period of time in one--6 mos to a year--before cross training. And then I'd train concurrently.

Taijiguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd do something like train Muay Thai consistently, and supplement when you can.

Latest Discussions