Training 2 different styles

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying anyone doesn't suck. We all suck. Is that arrogant?

But I am interested in something you brought up that you are now not addressing. You seem to have an issue with me personally. Apparently something to do with "some guru who can spend hours talking about the technical details on how to throw a jab."

Again, I ask, if you have a personal issue with something I've said regarding the use of a jab, I'd like to hear it. I am beginning to get the message that your comments and your use of the 'dislike' button has more to do with something personal than with a disagreement with the current matter at hand.

If it's personal, we can fix that. I'll simply place you on ignore; you can do likewise with me; and we can go about our merry ways. If you wish to take issue with anything I've said about a jab and how to throw it, I wish you'd come out and say it instead of making snide comments.
Um no I don't lol I really don't care what people online say why would I have anything personal against you I don't know you, I don't care about you, you're a name on a screen this is a forum to discuss martial arts I'm discussing it, I press disagree because......I disagree simple as that. You want to put me on ignore go for it makes no difference in the slightest to me

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The destination will not be reached. The path is what matters. Stay on the path and keep moving forward.

Let's put it another way. I will never be fluent in Japanese. But I can learn to say "Where is the bathroom" and "bring me beer" in several languages, or I can learn more in Japanese. The limiting factor is how much time I have left in my life and how much I can devote to learning one or many foreign languages. I can become more proficient in one language, or suck in a bunch of them.

So shouldn't I really focus on one technique?

All this variation will just mess me up.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um no I don't lol I really don't care what people online say why would I have anything personal against you I don't know you, I don't care about you, you're a name on a screen this is a forum to discuss martial arts I'm discussing it, I press disagree because......I disagree simple as that. You want to put me on ignore go for it makes no difference in the slightest to me

Then why bring it up?

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So shouldn't I really focus on one technique?

All this variation will just mess me up.
Yeah I mean basically all different Martial arts are are different techniques. I like to learn as much as I can. Ones I like I'll keep and use once I don't like I'll keep training when we do them but won't be part of my main sparring or rolling arsenal it's simple as that it's just different techniques personally I simply wanted to see what else is out there and not just keep training the same stuff I've known for years for the rest of my life. Fact is I got my black belt recently and now there's nothing /new/ to learn yes I get other stuff better but I like learning new stuff. At black belt in karate once you have black you're just fine tuning your stuff and mainly spending more time teaching and frankly I'm 21 I don't want to be teaching from now for the rest of my life hence me doing new styles

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you train one style you suck because you're one dimensional ...
Agree with you 100% there.

Before you get married, should you just date one girl, or should you date as many girls as you can? How will you be able to know which girl is the future wife that you are looking for?

If I had faith into my Taiji teacher when I was 7, I could spend 30 years Taiji training with him. I'll still be a "Taiji for health" guy for the rest of my life. If I didn't cross train Chinese wrestling after my long fist training, I would never know that I like wrestling more than I like striking,

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agree with you 100% there.

Before you get married, should you just date one girl, or should you date as many girls as you can? How will you be able to know which girl is the future wife that you are looking for?

If I had faith into my Taiji teacher when I was 7, I could spend 30 years Taiji training with him. I'll still be a "Taiji for health" guy for the rest of my life. If I didn't cross train Chinese wrestling after my long fist training, I would never know that I have more potential in wrestling than in striking,
Yeah but I was actually being sarcastic there. If people just want to train one style then good on them that's perfectly fine it's all about choice. I'm just totally against the silly idea that if you train more than one style you suck at both.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm just totally against the silly idea that if you train more than one style you suck at both.
I'm also totally against the silly idea that the first girl that you ever meet, she should be your future wife. I had dated many girls before I found my wife. I had cross trained many MA systems before I decided what MA system that I want to spend the rest of my life into it.

Training 2 different styles is like dating 2 girls at the same time. It's absolutely normal if you are not ready to get married soon.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I mean basically all different Martial arts are are different techniques. I like to learn as much as I can. Ones I like I'll keep and use once I don't like I'll keep training when we do them but won't be part of my main sparring or rolling arsenal it's simple as that it's just different techniques personally I simply wanted to see what else is out there and not just keep training the same stuff I've known for years for the rest of my life. Fact is I got my black belt recently and now there's nothing /new/ to learn yes I get other stuff better but I like learning new stuff. At black belt in karate once you have black you're just fine tuning your stuff and mainly spending more time teaching and frankly I'm 21 I don't want to be teaching from now for the rest of my life hence me doing new styles
I will point out that different styles are not merely collections of different techniques. There is a lot more to it than that.

It might be worth it for you to train different systems simply so you can begin to understand that.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bill;
Yep we all suck...at something...and at what true potential could be at any one point. Perfection is unattainable but betterment is. We will always suck when compared to being better. If this has been your point, I agree.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill;
Yep we all suck...at something...and at what true potential could be at any one point. Perfection is unattainable but betterment is. We will always suck when compared to being better. If this has been your point, I agree.

That has been part of my point. The other part being that applying 100% of the time available to whatever it is we are doing will have a better result than splitting our efforts between two things.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not achievable, you are correct. Let's say the yardstick is the potential one has in the time one has left, assuming one does not cease training in a given art to go train in something else. That's my yardstick.
I consider that an unreasonable measure. That doesn’t make it unreasonable for you to use, mind you, but I can’t see how it serves you.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That has been part of my point. The other part being that applying 100% of the time available to whatever it is we are doing will have a better result than splitting our efforts between two things.
Sure...however, if one's goal were to be the best well rounded martial artist one could be whether it be standing striking, standing grappling, throws and takedowns, grappling and striking on the ground, hand held weapons, etc. the time one would spend say grappling would be lessen in order to gain skills in standing striking. So grappling could suffer a bit but one's overall skill sets would be increased thereby increasing one's overall abilities. If one were to train in art that does very little to no striking is one actually better?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You don't see it in MMA.

Nobody, even at the elite level just trains one style. And they could because there is nothing stopping people just training MMA.

Instead it is a combination of judo boxing Muay thai. Whatever.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You apply 100% of your time to karate? Wow. That’s a level of commitment I’m pretty sure no one has.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You don't see it in MMA.

Nobody, even at the elite level just trains one style. And they could because there is nothing stopping people just training MMA.

Instead it is a combination of judo boxing Muay thai. Whatever.
This is where application pays off. It’s much more difficult to learn something if you never apply it. Application actually creates mental bandwidth that can be used to learn other things. Because these athletes apply their skills, they are not wasting energy in a training loop.

Because I drive a stick shift every day, I don’t have to continuously keep learning how to drive.

Simply put, if you aren’t learning the skills so that you can do them, maybe one system is the max. Ninja, karate, aikido... maybe one at a time. Systems where you use them for some purpose, I would say more than one is very possible. Baseball, football, basketball, judo, wrestling, BJJ, judo, kyokushin karate, chess, clarinet... you could probably learn any three or four before you run out of time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is where application pays off. It’s much more difficult to learn something if you never apply it. Application actually creates mental bandwidth that can be used to learn other things. Because these athletes apply their skills, they are not wasting energy in a training loop.

Because I drive a stick shift every day, I don’t have to continuously keep learning how to drive.

Simply put, if you aren’t learning the skills so that you can do them, maybe one system is the max. Ninja, karate, aikido... maybe one at a time. Systems where you use them for some purpose, I would say more than one is very possible. Baseball, football, basketball, judo, wrestling, BJJ, judo, kyokushin karate, chess, clarinet... you could probably learn any three or four before you run out of time.

Except there will always be some sort of application.

Even areas like dance where form outweighs function. I am pretty sure elite level dancers will cross train.

Ballet? Mabye, maybe not. It seems pretty strict.

Or not apparently. Looks like it reflects the judo/BJJ attitude.

https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/ballet-and-modern-dance/

Latest Discussions