"Traditions: Essays on the Japanese Martial Arts and Ways," by Dave Lowry

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Has anyone else picked up this book yet?

I purchased it not long ago and have enjoyed what little of it I've read so far. Lowry's definitely not afraid to tackle controversial subjects. He certainly doesn't mind telling you what he thinks about those subjects, either. His book Bokken: Art of the Japanese Sword contained a paragraph or two devoted to what he called "ersatz swordsmen," whose qualifications were limited to ownership of a sword and the claim of membership to a fictitious ryu.

Among the essays in Traditions that caught my eye was one on visitors to the dojo -- and how they were not welcome, in traditional dojos, as visitors are considered disruptions who distract those training from their serious pursuits.

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting article, thanks.

I haven't read the book yet but, look forward to picking it up. I read Autumn Lightning and Persimmon Wind and was very impressed by both.

andy

P

pknox

I have it, and like all of Mr. Lowry's stuff, it is top notch. At this point, I might buy Dave's shopping list if he included a couple of illustrations with it. I'd probably even aggregiously overpay if they were really nice woodblock ones. :)

Interestingly enough, the point that you bring up about visitors -- I have often heard that koryu exponents feel the same way about people who "ask around" about different koryu as well. I am not sure how true that is, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was, especially given the story included in Traditions.